Talk

Advanced search

To want to know where old people go dancing

(27 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Sun 04-Jan-15 00:14:42

Yes I know I'm not really old (nearly 51) but am at a loss - where can I go dancing? Do you ever go out? Certainly can't go to the clubs my children have grown out of!

A very good question. I occasionally go to a cheesy 80s place, but it's pretty horrible. I miss going dancing!

Nanny0gg Sun 04-Jan-15 00:20:29

I'd like to know the same!

I get really fed up watching American TV programmes as there seem to be all sorts of different restaurants/bars where people of all ages can dance which aren't remotely nightclubby.

Never going to be old enough for Tea dances (not my generation!). So what's the answer?

RandomNPC Sun 04-Jan-15 00:22:13

Bournemouth?

thoth Sun 04-Jan-15 00:23:04

Don't old people go to tea dances? Often at 2 in the afternoon, in the 'town centre'.

thoth Sun 04-Jan-15 00:23:45

Ha! x-post nanny grin

SaucyJack Sun 04-Jan-15 00:23:58

Glastonbury.

slightlyworriednc Sun 04-Jan-15 00:27:25

My parents (in their 50s) go to a social club which has a disco most weekends. They dance! Anything like that near you? xxx

slightlyworriednc Sun 04-Jan-15 00:27:49

Sorry for random kisses!

I saw a very cool tea dance in Spitalfields market once. They didn't play, 'This Charming Man' though.

thonlassie Sun 04-Jan-15 00:35:24

I used to work in a Royal British Legion and I think either somewhere like that or a miners welfare/working mans club are your best bet, we always had a "turn" on on a Saturday night and there was a mixture of ages and anyone can dance, normally you don't need to be a member, you just need to sign in even though on adverts it always says "members notice" which is a licensing requirement (Scotland) and I think that puts many off thinking they can't just appear.

The bands/acts usually play a good variety of music from 60's right up to modern music, think wedding band type stuff.

MrsCakesPrecognition Sun 04-Jan-15 01:02:35

Round my kitchen.

SunshineAndShadows Sun 04-Jan-15 01:07:27

Ceilidhs in Scotland �� What about salsa bars? Ballroom and Latin lessons?

Dumpylump Sun 04-Jan-15 01:10:27

There's a cheesy 80s place where I live too, but it's actually great! I don't go out that much any more - because of my great age - but when I do, we always end up there, dancing like its 1985 and I'm 20 again!

AlleyCat11 Sun 04-Jan-15 01:18:52

I used to love dancing. Proper moves, I had. However, last time I was in a club a scary situation occurred...
Bopping away when a young fella siddled in beside me. "I've still got it" me thoughts. Then his mate joins in, and I'm thinking "erm, lads, the hotties are over there". When a third bloke half my age turns up, the penny finally drops "Jesus, I'm a Cougar. That's what they want".
Haven't been on a non-wedding reception dance floor since my MILF moment... Am not even 40 yet (sigh). I pogo freely at gigs though!

MistressDeeCee Sun 04-Jan-15 01:30:54

I still go dancing. Depends on what music you like...I like a lot of soul and jazz funk so there are a lot of functions with 40s-50s crowd, same with Motown. I also like swingdance, go to classes and funcions when I have a mind. Im in London and find that every age group is catered to somewhere

If you're not in London maybe try meetup site? I know they have dance meetup groups there, covering outside London

Yambabe Sun 04-Jan-15 01:36:53

Depends what sort of music you like.

Being a bit of a rock chick when I'm not at gigs I go to a monthly rock night just on the edge of the gay village in Manchester which has a very inclusive attitude and where nobody minds me flinging my wrinkles and bingo wings about on the dancefloor.

Some of the other patrons are young enough to be my grandchildren but there are others there who are even older than my matronly nearly-51 grin

I have to admit though that sometimes if I want to dance I just pour a coupe of bacardis, put some music on in my living room and crack on....... blush

thecatneuterer Sun 04-Jan-15 03:54:39

I'm 52 and go out clubbing up to five nights a week. Just got back from one now in fact. I go to salsa clubs though. All ages go there from 20 to around 70, and I would say the average age is about 37. You can also go alone (in fact most people do) and it's very friendly and you get to know lots of people, even more if you take the classes.

loveblackcats Sun 04-Jan-15 04:44:03

Butlins do some old-school weekend breaks.

Lagoonablue Sun 04-Jan-15 08:52:24

Here in Manchester they have a club night for the Middle aged where it finishes early so you can get back for the babysitter. Theŷ play old school house and indie from 80s and 90s. Loads of o,d ravers and indie kids there.

JeanSeberg Sun 04-Jan-15 08:57:42

What's it called lagoona?

That Manchester club sounds absolutely perfect.

Nanny0gg Sun 04-Jan-15 13:31:36

I am a child of the 70s Disco era. I also used to go to soul clubs (Philadelphia soul). Also like anything poppy from any era that you can dance to.

So whilst I wouldn't mind trying Salsa, Ceroc etc I just feel like going back to my roots... grin

And unfortunately, nowhere near a big city.

Hatespiders Sun 04-Jan-15 13:35:11

Scottish or Country Dancing is often a good mix of ages. We have several of those in Norwich. It's good exercise, but not particularly 'sexy' iykwim. But you'd meet people.

Lagoonablue Sun 04-Jan-15 18:01:36

Bop Local its called. Theŷ have a website I think. Lots of old school DJs do sets there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now