Talk

Advanced search

To point out to my friend that Special K has the same calories as Frosties?

(14 Posts)
SuedeEffectPochette Sat 03-Jan-15 20:12:55

Saw my friend in Sains buying loads of Special K. Frosties have the same calories and let's face it, taste loads better - should I tell her?! I can't believe anyone would buy Special K if they knew this.

IamTitanium Sat 03-Jan-15 20:15:27

I did not know this.
But maybe she likes them???? Or concerned about sugar/salt something else not calories?
If you were going to tell her you should have done it before she wasted £££ on cardboard grin

Pointlessfan Sat 03-Jan-15 20:15:38

Maybe she just likes Special K? I think it's much nicer than Frosties which are too sweet but I never buy it because the adverts piss me off and it makes me very bloated. All processed cereals are full of crap though.

Ginrummy Sat 03-Jan-15 20:16:17

I find Special K more filling than frosties. Maybe she's the same.

dragdownthemoon Sat 03-Jan-15 20:20:09

It's not just about calories though. I don't know anything about special k (or Frosties) but I would assume that SpecialK are healthier, more filling, generally better for you. Even if the calories are the same it is no good if you are starving hungry again after 30 mins with Frosties where Special K might keep you going til lunchtime.

Healthy eating isn't just about calories, in fact they are just a small part.

Ginrummy Sat 03-Jan-15 20:22:08

A very quick internet search says Special K is 17% sugar and frosties are 37% sugar, so it's a good job you didn't tell her.
Oh and, no, frosties don't taste better, they taste of sugar.

Ginrummy Sat 03-Jan-15 20:25:19

Sorry, just realised you're talking about calories. Special K is better regardless of calories but half of MN don't believe in cereal for breakfast anyway.

Bulbasaur Sat 03-Jan-15 20:35:17

A can of soda is on average 182 calories. A salad can be about 250 calories depending on dressing and mix ins. Doesn't mean you should start swapping sodas for salads.

As PP's have stated there's far more to it than just calories. That much sugar will make you crash and have your body crave more food quicker than Special K.

PuppyMonkey Sat 03-Jan-15 20:41:18

Maybe tell her instead that Benefit from Aldi tastes like Special K used to (before they relaunched them a couple of years back and added tons more sugar). That would be more useful.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sun 04-Jan-15 09:07:12

Most breakfast cereals (porridge and some mueslis excepted) are one of the biggest marketing cons of the modern age. Fact.

As for Special K keeping you going till lunchtime - ha! If I had cereal for breakfast, I am hungry again before I get to work. To me that is not food.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 04-Jan-15 09:19:19

I eat special k because I like the taste rather than because of the calorie content. I am unlikely to be alone in this and would think a friend telling me about the calorie content of frosties vs Special K was being -a twat-- deliberately irritating.

Fanfeckintastic Sun 04-Jan-15 09:22:48

It's really strange that this would even occur to you.

GoddessWhoWalksEarthAsWoman Sun 04-Jan-15 09:30:46

Haha is that true? I love facts like that. If my friend told me that I'd like it.

Lilymaid Sun 04-Jan-15 09:32:14

Red Berry Special K has 19 gms sugar per 100 gms. Higher than the plain version as there will be some sugar in the dried fruit.
I prefer Waitrose own brand which seems less sweet and is less than half the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now