Talk

Advanced search

My balloons

(20 Posts)
ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 15:14:39

I had two balloons up in the kitchen of my shared house.
My house mate has just returned from spending christmas with family.
My balloons are now in the bin. AIBU to think he should have asked before throwing them out?

TheyLearnedFromBrian Sat 03-Jan-15 15:41:12

Yup.

He'd come home from work on Monday to a kitchen stacked with them and a big signs saying 'DO NOT POP DE BALONZ, OR YOU ANGER DE FONZ' on the door.

TheyLearnedFromBrian Sat 03-Jan-15 15:42:53

Or possibly I'd go for the passive-aggressive 'Oh! My balloons are gone - do you know where they are? What? Um, can I ask why - seeing as they belong to me not you? You don't? Right. Could you pick up some more on your way home on Monday then? Cheers!'

CakeAndWineAreAFoodGroup Sat 03-Jan-15 15:47:05

Make a papier-mâché voodoo doll with his face on it. Leave it in the kitchen and don't say a word.

canweseethebunnies Sat 03-Jan-15 15:50:14

Was he pissed off that your balloons were occupying communal space? Doesn't sound like there's much love lost between the two of you. Have there been other incidents?

ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 15:51:16

I know it seems incredibly trivial but I just can't help feeling slightly irked by it.
I like both the balloons and the voodoo doll idea...

Greywackejones Sat 03-Jan-15 15:55:00

Prawns in his curtains hem

I'd 'notice' all his food is past sell by

And I'd ask for replacement balloons

ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 15:55:18

There has been the whole smoking in his room thing.
I kept on smelling smoke and asked him if he could stick a towel across the bottom of his door, if he was going to smoke in his room.
He denied that he had been doing so.
Over the past two weeks, no smoke smell.
He gets back today, within two hours, the smell of smoke is filling the air...

Greywackejones Sat 03-Jan-15 15:55:24

And chuck it out, should've added...

misskangaandroo2014 Sat 03-Jan-15 15:56:54

I fucking hate balloons. It would drive me nuts if someone left them somewhere I had to use.
But. I wouldn't move them. That would involve touching them.
I really do have to take deep breaths and keep calm around balloons. But I can still manage to ASK (if slightly strongly) that balloons be kept the hell out of my way.
Ask where they are.

TheyLearnedFromBrian Sat 03-Jan-15 16:06:30

'Knock knock - Hi Twatty, good to see you back! Could you put that towel down if you're not going to smoke in your room again? It stinks out here, cheers!! Also, can you put balloons on the shopping list to replace the ones of mine you chucked out? Ta!'

ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 16:24:43

I wish they were replaceable balloons, but alas they were one hit wanders.
I will try and ask politely about the smoking/towel thing.

ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 16:26:05

You have all made me smile btw!

Patilla Sat 03-Jan-15 16:30:18

You could buy some awfully smelling incense sticks and pointedly put them burning in a pot by his door every time he smokes. Might start him using that towel a bit more?

TheyLearnedFromBrian Sat 03-Jan-15 16:32:57

Don't ask politely - tell politely.

'It really smells badly of smoke through the house when you smoke in your room. Can you please put a towel over the base of the door if you don't want to go outside?'

'I'm not smoking in my room'

'Yes you are, it's obvious. Please could you use the towel? I don't want to fall out about it, there's no need at all as I'm happy with you smoking inside if you'll be good enough to try and stop it getting all through the house.'

SpringBreaker Sat 03-Jan-15 16:34:28

maybe they wandered off on their own then..

VanitasVanitatum Sat 03-Jan-15 16:43:10

You definitely need to ask him where they are, though he sounds like a complete dick if he's lying about smoking in his room, he'll probably just deny all knowledge.

ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 17:00:54

I have seen them in the bin, which is how I knew that he threw them away.
I think he must be a bit of a dick, which is something that I had been trying not to conclude. But I guess the balloons are the proof in the pudding.
Next time I smell smoke, I will do the politely telling thing. as well as fill the kitchen with balloons come payday

blanklook Sat 03-Jan-15 17:14:37

Is there not a clause about no smoking in his tenancy agreement or whatever it's called that you need to sign to be in a shared house?

ArabellaStrange Sat 03-Jan-15 17:35:34

Yes but I can't be asked to pursue that through official channels. Only another six months and then I will be out of here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now