Talk

Advanced search

Technology Entrepreneurship.

(6 Posts)
NotYouNaanBread Sat 03-Jan-15 14:37:56

This is a pretty normal moan for me, and I'm not being entirely authentic by posting it here, because surely I can't BU?

I have signed up for this free online course in Technology Entrepreneurship run by Stanford. It looks really interesting, and as I have a business idea in this field I'm keen to learn more. Fine.

But looking through the other students on the course was depressing in the extreme - of the 51 people based in London, for instance, I think I saw TWO women. TWO. Technology is well known for having a pretty shit track record for women in leadership roles (or indeed any roles) but this course is open access and FREE. I'm not saying that this course the only possible route in the whole wide world towards leadership roles in technology, but it's an example, surely? There are nearly 9000 people taking the course, so I don't know how many women there are over all - hopefully more than 4%!

AIBU to expect more women on a course like this?

Anyway. Any Mumsnetters want to join me to up the oestrogen levels on the course? We could launch the next Bitcoin and be squillionaires together. It's only a few weeks long and you can plan your time around your real life.

Technology Entrepreneurship

MrsJamin Sat 03-Jan-15 20:48:09

I work for a tech start up and yes, it is depressing that more women are not involved in this kind of industry. I am glad that my employers saw benefit in not being an all-male company and I think I bring a lot (and not just my gender) to the company. I am not interested in doing the course myself but good for you - go for it!

MrsJamin Sat 03-Jan-15 20:48:10

I work for a tech start up and yes, it is depressing that more women are not involved in this kind of industry. I am glad that my employers saw benefit in not being an all-male company and I think I bring a lot (and not just my gender) to the company. I am not interested in doing the course myself but good for you - go for it!

asmallandnoisymonkey Sat 03-Jan-15 20:51:35

Can I just play devil's advocate and point out that there may not be a lot of women that WANT to do this? I'm obviously not saying they can't or shouldn't or that it's a bad idea, but is it just feasible, perhaps, that women DO know their own minds and not a lot of them want to do it?

sits back and waits to be shouted at

NotYouNaanBread Sun 04-Jan-15 10:45:29

asmallandnoisymonkey Well, I think that's my AIBU - why not? Why is it that out of nearly 9000 people who want to do this course, about 8000 of them (at a guess) are men?

Mereguemeringue Sun 04-Jan-15 13:38:45

Notyou that looks great! I have an idea for an app. Do you think this course would be relevant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now