Talk

Advanced search

SIL Xmas conundrum

(11 Posts)
NiceCupOfHerbalTea Sat 03-Jan-15 12:45:42

We gave SIL's 3 kids presents & have done for 10 years or so, always get SIL & her H (not so D) pressies too. This year she cheerily announced "Sorry we're not doing adult presents this year" as we handed our presents out. My DW's other sister seemed to know about this in advance and hadn't got her anything. We are really skint at the moment as moved house and spent all our savings on it, then I got made redundant and am only working a temp job at the mo. We have obscene credit card debt at the moment. I think they think we're loaded as we still have a nice car (although it is nearly 10 years old). Anyway I thought she should have notified us in advance, we would still have got her kids presents. The kids (17 & 13) didn't even say thank you to me. Anyway, AIBU to find all this a bit annoying?

gamerwidow Sat 03-Jan-15 12:47:56

She should have told you in advance if she wasn't doing adult presents. It's fine not to buy for adults as long as you make sure everyone knows about it. I'd be annoyed too.

Blackout234 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:48:08

A bit annoying yes but not worth falling out over

AlpacaMyBags Sat 03-Jan-15 12:48:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flyonthewindscreen Sat 03-Jan-15 12:50:08

YANBU, fine to suggest no adult presents if sufficient notice is given so that no adult presents are purchased but not fine in the circumstances you describe!

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 03-Jan-15 12:50:21

I'd have been miffed as she 'cheerily announced' that 'she' wasn't doing adult presents and her children were rude not to have said thanks.

Chalk it up to experience, you'll know for next time.

DoJo Sat 03-Jan-15 12:55:50

Presumably the 17 year old will be an adult by next year as well, so that will be even fewer presents to buy!

Finola1step Sat 03-Jan-15 12:58:17

Just buy for the younger one next year and remind everyone that SIL decided on no adult presents.

scousadelic Sat 03-Jan-15 13:04:58

I'm with Finola here. Say nothing confrontational (although your DW could say in passing that it was a shame you didn't know if others did) but next year buy accordingly

We have always had a rule that children's presents stop at 18 if going into work or 21 if going to university so you may stop the eldest child next year too

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 03-Jan-15 13:07:35

She was rude telling you at that stage. I think you just have to let it go this year, but don't buy for them or the older child again.

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Sat 03-Jan-15 13:24:04

We have always had a rule that children's presents stop at 18 if going into work or 21 if going to university

That's a weird rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now