Talk

Advanced search

Ungrateful SIL?

(57 Posts)
hopingforamiracle Sat 03-Jan-15 11:37:47

I'm so angry. I'm ill and spent all day yesterday (12-10pm) making SIL daughter a cake. the cake was a disaster so I made a slightly different one but still the same theme. SIL has said she's gutted and is demanding pictures of the cake to see what it looks like because her other friend has made a cake which she said she hates. My brother has shouted at me telling me to send photos of the cake and called me mentally retarded. I haven't had time to send photos and don't want to because i know she will turn her nose up at it. I'm going to take the cake to the party today because I spent £30 on ingredients. AIBU?

misskangaandroo2014 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:40:34

In all honesty I wouldn't go to the party. What a horrid pair!

DaisyFlowerChain Sat 03-Jan-15 11:42:57

Did she pay you to make the cake? If so, wanting to see a pic before the party is fine and I don't see the objection.

If it's your gift, then she either accepts it or takes her own along with her.

Name calling is not on.

hopingforamiracle Sat 03-Jan-15 11:44:37

the cake is a gift

JeffVaderRunsTheDeathStar Sat 03-Jan-15 11:45:49

Plonk the cake in front of her and walk out. Ungrateful swines.

wowfudge Sat 03-Jan-15 11:46:13

What??? Have they asked you to make something specific you have made successfully before or are you good at these sorts of things so they've asked you to bake a cake?

Whatever is going on, your brother needs to get some manners and an education speaking to you like that. Your SIL is not much better, but if it's the special cake for the party I can understand where she might be coming from.

clam Sat 03-Jan-15 11:46:31

You're ill, you say? Excellent excuse not to go to the party at all. Result!

TheLastThneed Sat 03-Jan-15 11:47:00

I wouldn't send a picture and would just take the cake along...how ungrateful!

Icimoi Sat 03-Jan-15 11:47:54

I wouldn't go if I were you. Keep the cake for yourself and ask some friends round to help you eat it. And explain slowly and carefully to your brother that he is a total arsehole.

Nomama Sat 03-Jan-15 11:48:07

No. Ring back, tell them if they want the cake they can come and get it, it will be in a bag on the doorstep.

Go to bed with a lemsip/hot chocolate and sod them.

alpacasosoftsnowgentlyfalling Sat 03-Jan-15 11:48:25

I would just tell her to go fuck herself !

Ohfourfoxache Sat 03-Jan-15 11:49:22

I agree - take the cake and walk out.

What a cow shock

And your brother is no better.

ihatethecold Sat 03-Jan-15 11:49:37

I'd shove the cake in her face and walk out.

ButEmilylovedhim Sat 03-Jan-15 11:50:14

She got another person to make a cake too? How has she managed to get people to do favours for her? Her and your brother sound beyond awful. A normal person would be so so grateful. £30 is a lot of money. I would stay at home and eat the cake myself, which I'm sure will be delicious.

LadyLuck10 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:53:16

It takes a minute to take a picture and send. If you told them the first cake was a disaster, they understandably want to see if the second one will be too. The name calling is not on but I can see how frustrating you are by not giving them any information about it.

Spartak Sat 03-Jan-15 11:56:01

What are you on about ladyluck? It's a gift. They should be grateful even if it looks shit.

Spartak Sat 03-Jan-15 11:56:51

Which I'm sure it doesn't OP. Can you send the cake along with someone else, then switch your phone off?

LadyLuck10 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:59:35

If this is the birthday cake the you would want to know how it came out?

ShipwreckedAndMerrilyComatose Sat 03-Jan-15 11:59:57

I'm another one who doesn't understand why there are two cakes!

Give your brother the cake to take and stay at home!

Spartak Sat 03-Jan-15 12:02:59

Unless it's the SILs 18th or something and it's a huge family gathering then why does it matter what it looks like?

ApocalypseThen Sat 03-Jan-15 12:03:51

Why are you blaming your sister in law rather than your brother for this?

Cobain Sat 03-Jan-15 12:05:41

I would be more upset at your brothers language than photos of a cake.

claraschu Sat 03-Jan-15 12:07:16

?
You spent 10 hours making a disastrous first cake??
You the made another at 10 pm?
It cost £30 in ingredients?
Intriguing

Can we all see a picture?

TheLastThneed Sat 03-Jan-15 12:09:52

If someone made me a cake as a gift, I wouldn't demand to see a picture in advance...

Username12345 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:11:34

I'd be furious if someone spoke to me like that, family or not.

Do you often allow yourself to be treated like that, hopingforamiracle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now