Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that the workman left the toilet seat up?

(41 Posts)
Cubee Sat 03-Jan-15 11:36:27

I had an internet engineer type person round. When he was finished he asked to use the bathroom. No problem. Only when I went up later the toilet seat was up. I think that is so disrespectful and rude. Leave it how you find it ffs. My 5 year old knows the put the seat and lid back down. Why a middle aged grown man seems incapable is beyond me.

My friend told me it was no big deal (well, of course it's not in the scheme of things but it still pissed me off), and that "that's what men do". Well no man I've ever lived with.

I'm not about to complain or anything grin but AIBU to think it's disrespectful to leave the toilet seat up, especially in someone else's house, and especially if that someone is a paying client?

TheSpottedZebra Sat 03-Jan-15 11:37:38

It's not that much of an issue, really, is it?

So - YANBU to be annoyed for a bit, but not for long.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-Jan-15 11:44:13

Get a sign.

Cubee Sat 03-Jan-15 11:49:03

Haha. Long enough to moan to a friend then MN about it?

I'm over it now. grin

MissBattleaxe Sat 03-Jan-15 11:52:09

an internet engineer type person round Goodness Lady Cubee, did you actually allow him in the hice?

YABU but you sort of know that. smile

Icimoi Sat 03-Jan-15 11:53:55

YABU. I've never got what is the big deal about putting the seat down; why is it necessary for men to put the seat down for women but not vice versa? And how does it hurt women to put the seat down for themselves? I've lived in predominantly male households all my life and it's never bothered me how I find the seat.

And I certainly disagree with putting the lid down every time - not only is it utterly pointless, it's potentially disastrous in a stomach bug emergency.

Topseyt Sat 03-Jan-15 11:54:14

My husband sometimes quite regularly forgets to put it back down.

Not worth making an issue out of it IMHO. winkgrin

Humansatnav Sat 03-Jan-15 11:54:55

Here, have a grip from me. grin

DropYourSword Sat 03-Jan-15 11:56:41

Ahhh, it's more effort to be annoyed than to just put it down. Count yourself lucky that all the men you've ever lived with has always put it down, if only I were that lucky!

BananaLeaf Sat 03-Jan-15 11:59:56

It annoys me but I'd rather DH put it up and leave it up than piss on the seat like he used to.

Spartak Sat 03-Jan-15 12:00:29

Surely if you are a polite host, you go in ahead of male bathroom users and lift the seat up for them? He has come out to fix your problem at a time when most people are still off work from the festive period after all.

Hatespiders Sat 03-Jan-15 12:44:17

My dh had never seen a toilet in his whole life (up until his early thirties) just a stinking hole in the ground. He was so thrilled with our 'chaise anglaise' and the flushing mechanism, he was in the bathroom for ages just gazing at it and giving it an extra flush just for pleasure! He always carefully puts the seat and lid down. He really adores that toilet!

YABU op. It isn't important, as the man doesn't live with you. If he was a house guest I suppose, but even then I wouldn't say anything. It's only family that need to be shown to put the seat and lid down.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 03-Jan-15 12:47:44

You are over reacting massively.

So what if he left the lid up, it takes a nano second to put it down and forget about it.

especially if that someone is a paying client?, you're sounding rather snooty too with that comment.

vienna1981 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:01:29

Surely not something to get annoyed about. Just put the seat down again. It never fails to amaze me how some women get their pants in a pickle over something so trivialshock.

Azquilith Sat 03-Jan-15 13:04:43

Really? <hands grip>

Pancakeflipper Sat 03-Jan-15 13:06:17

Oooh <clutches pearls> just soooooo many issues here.

You let a workman use your loo?
You didn't give him the laminated wipeable sheet for loo etiquette?
Well you need to pop out this afternoon and buy a new one.

Milmingebag Sat 03-Jan-15 13:09:05

Really?

Did he sprinkle when he tinkled too?

Another first world problem to grip your shit.

I dont sit on the loo seat, I dont even notice if its up or down.. is this a real issue? I always thought this was a cliched thing

squoosh Sat 03-Jan-15 13:23:26

Oh such savagery OP!

Be grateful he didn't pop you and your family members into a big cauldron and turn you into a stew.

IsadoraQuagmire Sat 03-Jan-15 13:25:09

YANBU at all!

HouseBaelish Sat 03-Jan-15 13:37:39

What. A. Monster.

ilovesooty Sat 03-Jan-15 14:32:44

Well, I imagine you were happy enough to avail yourself of hisexpertise to sort your internet out as well as being happy enough to sneer here afterwards. hmm

I'm sure you expect these pesky tradespeople to know their place.

WhereIsMySantaHat Sat 03-Jan-15 14:34:05

What's the problem. I don't get the issue?

GlitzAndGigglesx Sat 03-Jan-15 14:39:41

Wow

uglyswan Sat 03-Jan-15 14:55:46

Not in the least relevant, but hatespiders, your description of your dh's toilet love is delightful and really made my day. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now