Talk

Advanced search

to think that if you're pregnant enough to have symptoms you should be pregnant enough to get a BFP?

(31 Posts)
QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 11:21:46

Just that really. I have 2 days until my period is due. I have had over a week of achey cramps, 2 days of light spotting which I assume is implantation, I'm falling asleep most afternoons, I've gone off wine and fizzy drinks. I am so very sure I'm pregnant, i don't feel this way normally, only the other two times I've been pregnant.

except that this morning I got a BFN.

Surely if I can be having all these symptoms I should have a BFP by now?!

Grump. angry

misskangaandroo2014 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:24:41

I feel your pain OP. I've experienced this too. Annoyingly though some symptoms are caused by progesterone (which you're not testing for). Fingers crossed for you x

AngelDreams Sat 03-Jan-15 11:25:21

2 days before your period is due?

from baby centre website

It depends on the pregnancy test that you use. All pregnancy tests measure the amount of human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG), the pregnancy hormone, in your body. Home pregnancy tests detect the presence of hCG in your urine.

Some home pregnancy tests are more sensitive than others. The more sensitive tests may be able to detect low levels of hCG as early as four days before your period is due, or seven days after conception.

The sensitivity of a pregnancy test is described on the packaging as mIU/ml (milli-International Unit per millilitre). Pregnancy tests range in sensitivity from 10mIU/ml to 40 mlU/ml. The lower the number, the more sensitive the test, and the earlier it can detect pregnancy.

If you test too soon in pregnancy, even with a sensitive test, the amount of hCG in your urine may not be high enough to detect. Getting a false negative, when a test that says you're not pregnant and you are, can be stressful.

Most home pregnancy tests will give accurate results if you test at the time your period would normally be due, about two weeks after you ovulate.

www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy-test#ixzz3NkyUKO1U

Sn00p4d Sat 03-Jan-15 11:26:52

I was the same. I knew I was pregnant but the tests kept telling me otherwise! I'm 33 weeks now, it won't hide forever if you are flowers

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 11:31:15

misskanga that's interesting - I guess I assumed it was the HCG that caused the symptoms, obviously if its a different hormone that would make more sense.

still annoying though!!

I am so so sure! (except that tiny voice in the back of my mind that says 'you're imagining it all')

angel yes I know that, I'm just impatient and want a definite answer NOW!!

Blackout234 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:32:21

I didnt get a positive until 10 weeks, im now nearly 20wks So it is possible. very few tests are accurate before your period is due, you can even get false negatives on the day or the day after your period is due. If i were you just wait until the day your period is due, if you dont get a period, vtest, If you get a negative keep testing everyday until you get a positive or a period. good luck x

TheWildOnes Sat 03-Jan-15 11:36:56

I strongly suspected I was pregnant and had tested before af was due. I got a negative until I was about 5 days late, and even then when I did get a positive it was very very faint. I'm now almost 20 weeks.

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 11:37:57

I shouldn't be surprised - when I was pregnant with DTs - so supposedly much more HCG than a single pregnancy it still didn't show until the day my period was due.

but I still cant POASing! its costing a bloody fortune! accurate from 6 days before you period my arse!!

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 11:38:22

*cant STOP poas-ing

Jackiebrambles Sat 03-Jan-15 11:42:12

What tests are you using? I would get a first response, I got a bfp 2-3 days before my period was due on one of those. Digital tests are not very sensitive.

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 11:46:55

I'm using FR - hence its costing so much! digitals were useless last time I was TTC.

just looked up and apparently it will be 4-5 for a positive test after implantation, and I am only 3 days post implantation bleed. so I guess I will have to be patient! not my strong suit!!

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Sat 03-Jan-15 12:02:12

Not to put a dampner on things but those could be symptoms of PMT too

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 12:30:32

roasting I've never had these symptoms at any other time, except when pregnant. I don't get mid-cycle bleeds and I have never had cramping more than on the day my period starts. my periods are completely textbook and I could set my clock by them - hence my certainty.

although if my body is playing tricks on me its being very convincing!

DropYourSword Sat 03-Jan-15 12:35:33

I was absolutely convinced a couple of months ago I was pregnant. Totally smug in the fact I knew my body SO well that I could detect I was pregnant 4 days after the deed. Picked up on lots of symptoms. I was shocked I kept getting BFN's but thought I might just be testing too early. Got my period bang on time, was totally gutted. I hope it's not the case for you. Best of luck.

skylark2 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:39:18

The pregnancy test manufacturers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Seriously, you're either pregnant or you're not. Knowing a few days sooner won't make the slightest difference.

I did take one test with DD. Didn't bother taking any with DS. I was still pregnant, and rather richer than I would have been if I'd been testing every five minutes from the first moment I might possibly get a positive test.

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 12:41:53

skylark can you tell me where I can purchase some of that wonderfully sensible Rational Thought please? grin

Mammanat222 Sat 03-Jan-15 12:41:56

Was actively TTC with my first and on a pregnancy website, I wasn't an early tester though. Used to test day before period was due if not actual day I'd expect period.

I saw too much angst and disappointment (not to mention wasted money) from ladies who tested early.

This baby wasn't planned [we only had sex once in a 6 week period] but oddly I tested day before period was due and got a stonking line and a 2-3w on a digi [I had a load of tests as we were going to be TTC]. Made me think my dates were wrong but EDD is exactly same as what I worked out.

Sorry this isn't much help, just saying that even though you may be sure of your dates tests can be inaccurate - both ways!

CrispyFB Sat 03-Jan-15 13:05:31

I've had symptoms before (stupidly early) BFP before, but I've also had them on BFN cycles before as well. Given I don't get the symptoms every cycle, and I don't notice them when not TTC, I do wonder if it was a very early chemical.

It is the progesterone causing the symptoms and usually progesterone is higher with successful cycles, so that is probably why you get symptoms before BFP as the bHCG isn't high enough yet. Although of course progesterone is a hormone you get every cycle anyway, so it may just be high for no reason as well.

I was a POAS addict, with some first trimester losses and secondary infertility along the way, so there's little about pregnancy testing I don't know about. We are done now with four DC and I have to say it is a huge relief not to have the 7dpo onwards frantic testing any more! I don't miss it at all, but obviously I totally understand why people do it grin

Good luck OP!!

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 13:11:13

I am trying to convince myself I will not test tomorrow. I don't think I will win though. might have to get DH to hide the tests!!

we are surprisingly going for DC4 after thinking we were done so I had mentally chucked away much of my TTC knowledge as I didn't think I'd be needing it again! feel like a first timer really!!

Screenclean Sat 03-Jan-15 13:14:06

I got a load of cheap Amazon ones for just this purpose! Good luck grin

teeththief Sat 03-Jan-15 13:45:49

I had early (10dpo) positives using tests from Poundland, 2 for £1!

Good luck

123Jump Sat 03-Jan-15 13:57:10

none of my pregnancies showed up as positive on tests until I was 5 weeks and a few days.
My trousers wouldn't fit, thats how I knew each time. grin
Everyone is different.

Bair Sat 03-Jan-15 14:07:13

Get down to home bargains, 79p for 3 tests. It's almost like a hobby!

QueenofKelsingra Sat 03-Jan-15 15:06:30

ok, will be heading to the pound shop tomorrow then!! still alternating between 'don't get your hopes up' and 'I am so clearly pregnant'

pully/stretchy feelings to add to the list now.

123 how frustrating! I really hope I don't have to wait that long for a definite answer!!

MrsKringle Sat 03-Jan-15 16:38:52

When TTC DS, I took a test the day before my period was due and I tested negative. I had symptoms so I tested again the next day and I got a BFP. Same test, there was two in a pack. I then bought a Clearblue just to be sure and I was 2-3 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now