Talk

Advanced search

To expect NOT to hear my neighbour coughing in bed.

(58 Posts)
Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 23:38:00

FFS! Did 1930s builders just not bother with anything more than brown paper between the party wall of these houses.

My NND is an arse of a man and to have to hear his guttural throat clearing through the bedroom wall is hideous.

Bear in mind I have had some (basic) sound proofing done so Lord knows what it would be like if I hadn't.

It's bad enough I hear him shout at his wife and kids without listening to his horrid bodily functions!

Grrrrrrrrrrr. I need to win the lottery so I can move to a detached house.

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Fri 02-Jan-15 23:41:06

Ha ha I've started a similar thread also in a 1930s semi

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 23:42:03

Oh good. Link me to it. I need to share my pain!

pookamoo Fri 02-Jan-15 23:42:31

1960s here and it didn't improve much. Heaven only knows what they hear from our side!

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Fri 02-Jan-15 23:43:45

special circle of hell for one

SaucyJack Fri 02-Jan-15 23:45:07

I can hear the bloke upstairs pissing when I'm in the bath.

Really spoils my home spa experience I can tell you.

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 23:46:08

Thanks! At least your neighbours are elderly and probably ok. Am guessing. Mine is an absolute arse. A big baby man who has regular shouty tantrums. Am hoping his throat clearly is something serious enough so he will move to the country for fresher air. Or something. I could say worse but won't....

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Fri 02-Jan-15 23:47:55

Late middle age rather than elderly and although their kids have moved out (theyre my age) they're round every day until gone midnight.

When they leave theu stand at the front door (under our bedroom) for up to an hour continuing the conversation. It's hell.

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 23:48:07

Saucy jack. That sounds lovely.

Salmotrutta Fri 02-Jan-15 23:48:18

Interesting.

My MIL lives in a 1950s semi-detached ex-council house and the party wall is very substantial.

She hears the odd thump/bump but apart from that absolutely nothing. And that is even when small children are going about there daily business.

And neither do we when we visit.

Salmotrutta Fri 02-Jan-15 23:49:10

their daily business...

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Fri 02-Jan-15 23:49:29

Maybe the 50s was building nirvana?

BingBongMerrilyOnHigh Fri 02-Jan-15 23:49:30

2000 terrace. Same problem. Can hear everything the two elderly, widowed women on each side do.

Although as a cougher myself (asthma), I can assure you I don't do it for fun!

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 23:49:32

Hmmm that does sound bad.

I can't approach my neighbour tbh. He is a bit scary. Plus I can hardly ask him to stop coughing. I could ask him him to stop shouting but that too is a bit tricky.

Lagoonablue Fri 02-Jan-15 23:52:23

If I liked him then the coughing wouldn't really bother me. He clearly can't help it. However because he is horrid it is the cherry on the cake for me. It is really phlegm rattling from the back of the throat stuff that only men can do though. I expect he has a spittoon by his bed.

I grew up in a 50s semi too. Councîl house. Never heard a thing. Even our old victorian terrace wasn't as bad as this house.

MissPenelopeLumawoo2 Sat 03-Jan-15 08:28:18

Are you my neighbour? My DH has a bad cough at the moment, and we are a shouty family! If it is you, do you realise we can hear you too?

Slutbucket Sat 03-Jan-15 08:43:21

Have you wondered what the neighbour might be overhearing you doing.

Sandancer Sat 03-Jan-15 09:08:52

I can hear my neighbour snoring in bed! It's horrendous. He moved in about 4 month ago and I've hardly slept in my own bed since. I feel my privacy is being invaded so I sleep on a blow-up mattress in my sons room. Only a stud wall seperates our room as it used to be one huge flat. I'm going to start collecting egg boxes...

wheresthelight Sat 03-Jan-15 09:24:51

I feel very sorry for my neighbours and apologise regularly because as an asthma sufferer when I get a cough I can wake the dead! luckily the elderly lady next door is lovely and always claims nit to hear but as I can hear her tv constantly over mine I suspect she is just being nice!!

I always knew when it was a chest infection at my old house as the couple next door were both deaf so when they came round to ask if inwas ok as they had heard me up coughing all night I knew it was time for antibiotics and steroids! much more reliable than the rather overstretched NHS doctors surgery that never had appointments grin

carabos Sat 03-Jan-15 09:37:57

We are in a mid terrace, built late 20s. It's terrible, we can hear every word, sneeze and shout from next day. As they do a LOT of shouting, it's pretty trying. We try to be very quiet as we assume that they can hear us as clearly as we hear them, but wonder if the result is that they don't realise the problem <massively giving them the benefit of the doubt here > wink.

We've lived here for 11 years and we are planning to move this year as I can't stand it any longer.

Lagoonablue Sat 03-Jan-15 09:47:45

Actually apart from the kids we are fairly quiet. I am always turning music and tv down. NND kids are noisy but dont mind that tbh. I expect it.

I think I make extra special effort to be quiet in the bedroom as it feels so intrusive to hear someone else so near in an intimate space.

Penelope if it is you then your DH needs to see a doctor!

whatadrain Sat 03-Jan-15 09:50:02

My NDN has the worlds loudest, most high-pitched sneeze and she sneezes ALL the time. Other than that, we don't hear much in our 1960s ex-council semi but then my DC are very loud!

Vagndidit Sat 03-Jan-15 09:52:52

Coughing noises have a way of penetrating any barrier. I live in a very solid Victorian terrace and the only noises I ever hear through the shared wall with my lovely elderly neighbour is her morning lung hack.

You can hear her televsion blasting from the road but not through these walls...

LordJabuJabu Sat 03-Jan-15 09:55:30

1930's house here & I had to listen to my neighbours having awful sex during the night feed wth dd.
Ds1 woke up at 4 today so can let them off. A bit.

AlanBstardMP Sat 03-Jan-15 09:56:54

Our late Victorian terrace also has walls made of paper - you can hear the neighbours turn their lights on, I kid you not. I know one of the neighbours has a nasty cough at the moment, so it seems to be going round. The noise is constant and when they have parties its unbearable.

Constant noise makes me want to go live in a shack in the middle of nowhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now