Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Re : Plate returned from friend while on night out!!

(215 Posts)
DurhamDurham Fri 02-Jan-15 18:07:51

I made a pie for a friend, cheese,potato and onion. She was having a family party and requested I make her a pie. Very happy to oblige.
Pie was eaten and enjoyed by her family, I had a lovely text from friend who said she would give me the plate back soon, no hurry I said, we have plenty.
Skip forward to last night when we were having a girls night out. I met friend and four others in a out in town. The friend had the plate with her. She gave it me so I asked what I was supposed to do with it all night? She said well if it's that much of a problem she would carry it. We went to for a meal and then to another pub, I felt guilty about her carrying it so I suggested we just leave it in the pub. It's only a plate.
She said she would feel too guilty and carried on carrying it around looking all martyred so I took the plate off her and left it in the pub.
She then, after a few more drinks, started crying ......about the plate!!

So was ibu about making a fuss about her bringing the plate on a night out? Was friend bu in bringing the plate and insisting on carrying it around for most of the night, even after I suggested we leave it?

My husband two girls think it's hilarious, oldest daughter is getting ready to go out and came to ask me which plate goes best with her outfit. So at least some good has come out of plate-gate grin

Mrsmorton Fri 02-Jan-15 18:10:13

I actually laughed out loud at what your DD said.

divingoffthebalcony Fri 02-Jan-15 18:10:34

That is funny grin

But what possessed her to bring the plate on a night out, when you already said there was no rush? Anyone with half a brain would know it would be annoying having to lug the thing around all night.

DurhamDurham Fri 02-Jan-15 18:11:56

It wasn't even a nice plate, just a white Asda plate. Not a family heirloom or anything with sentimental value.

ScrambledEggAndToast Fri 02-Jan-15 18:13:10

Hahaha, funniest thing I've read on MN this evening grin

sockmatcher Fri 02-Jan-15 18:13:34

Wow really??!!! This is just plain stupid. What was she thinking?

MinceSpy Fri 02-Jan-15 18:13:46

Haven't had a cheese pie for ages. Would you share your recipe? As for plate gate well how odd!

MistAndAWeepingRain Fri 02-Jan-15 18:14:16

Your DD sounds hilarious!

No idea at all what possessed her to bring a plate on a night out. Did she have a bag of some kind for it?

Inthedarkaboutfashion Fri 02-Jan-15 18:14:21

This thread is the funniest thing I have read all day, especially your husbands daughters reaction.

FannyFifer Fri 02-Jan-15 18:14:33

This is v funny. Was she just carrying the plate in her arms or was it in snag?

FannyFifer Fri 02-Jan-15 18:14:50

Bag not snag. Gah!

Inthedarkaboutfashion Fri 02-Jan-15 18:15:11

Sorry - you and your husbands daughter

Birdsgottafly Fri 02-Jan-15 18:15:13

Does she not get out much?

That's hilarious, we would of been wearing it on our heads, declaring that it was the Plates Birthday, every new pub we went in and buying it drinks.

Just make a joke about it, to her and get past it.

2kidsintow Fri 02-Jan-15 18:15:24

This reminds me of my friend who recently arranged to meet me and my children so we could see a film. She turned up with a large bag. Full of random things she had borrowed through the year. So I had to stash a large bag of bits and pieces (part bottles of lemonade, returned plates and cooking dishes, cuddly toys) by my feet in the cinema.

Not the end of the world, but I'd only just laughed silently to myself the other day at the cinema when people turned up with big bags of shopping, who struggled to find places for it all.

DurhamDurham Fri 02-Jan-15 18:17:08

Short crust pastry,, handfuls of grated mature cheddar, parboiled chopped onions and potatoes. I don't measure I just stuff as much filling in as I can. Nice thick crust on top and glaze with milk, pop in over for about 35 mins gas 5.

Very nice even if I do say so myself. Although I might just be making them for those people who actually live in my house from now on grin

Pipbin Fri 02-Jan-15 18:17:21

At what point did she think it was a good idea?

Did she just think 'I'm seeing Durham tonight, she wants that plate' and the thought process just ended there.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 02-Jan-15 18:17:30

Aw, sounds like your friend has a lot on her plate...

DurhamDurham Fri 02-Jan-15 18:18:37

To be fair to friend it was in a bag, a Tesco bag. The bag did have a little hole in it though which just added to the general worry and trauma of carrying it around for the evening.

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 02-Jan-15 18:18:42

Lol it cluttering her home so much she just had to bring it to the pub

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 02-Jan-15 18:18:57

Was it*

DurhamDurham Fri 02-Jan-15 18:20:05

Husband has suggested that I borrow her lawn mower and then return it to her the next time we meet up on Starbucks. I fear this could be taking it too far!!

MaryWestmacott Fri 02-Jan-15 18:21:38

Use disposable plates/trays from now on when making food stuffs for others, or fancy plates which are gifts .

Love your DSD's response!

Viviennemary Fri 02-Jan-15 18:21:43

I have to admit I laughed when I read this. blush It was a bit daft of her to bring said plate along on night out and I don't blame you for not wanting to carry it around either. grin at Vonny.

RudeBarbandCustard Fri 02-Jan-15 18:22:06

How bizarre. Even more weird that she then cried about it [hmmm]

She has issues I think!

RudeBarbandCustard Fri 02-Jan-15 18:22:29

Hmmm fail hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now