Talk

Advanced search

To just have randomly burst into tears at the end of The Sound of Music

(27 Posts)
parques Fri 02-Jan-15 16:37:22

Having seen it at least 20 times before! Wtf? It's not as if I don't know what happens in the end! blush

Clawdy Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:30

Sometimes odd things just strike a chord for no apparent reason....sometimes down to the mood you're in or what's happened in your life over the year.

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:59

confused

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 02-Jan-15 16:42:32

I can't remember the end. Is that bad??

WishUponAStar88 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:44:00

I have just watched the end for the first time in years and now Up is just starting ... getting ready for the tears now!

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 02-Jan-15 16:47:44

I cried at strictly come dancing a few weeks back OP. You're alright.

Vagndidit Fri 02-Jan-15 16:49:03

I've just had to leave the room after the devastating first 10 minutes of Up. Kills me every time. Soul destroying.

5Foot5 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:49:32

Oh now strangely enough I always well up in the opening scenes when Maria is running up the mountain. Doesn't matter how many times I see it.

And don't get me started on the scene near the end of Railway Children where Father comes back. "Daddy, my Daddy" Oh f**k I set myself off..

morningtoncrescent62 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:50:55

I've always thought that crying at the end of Sound of Music is not just acceptable, but more or less obligatory. I've no idea how many times I've seen it (loads more than 20) but I cry every time. You get those hankies out and go for it, OP!

ilovesooty Fri 02-Jan-15 17:28:19

I usually cry at the beginning, while she's still a little dot running up the hill...

JudgeLionelNutmeg Fri 02-Jan-15 17:35:54

I always get a little tearful during the bit at the singing festival where the whole family are singing 'Edelweiss', then the audience start joining in while the Nazis look uncomfortable and shifty

ReverseTheTrend Fri 02-Jan-15 17:37:22

I had a miscarriage a few weeks ago. I cry at up at the best of times, but the bit at the beginning where Ellie is in hospital broke me today

Hatespiders Fri 02-Jan-15 17:40:53

I'm like this with Watership Down. That song, 'Bright Eyes' has me in floods of tears. I was chatting to my class of 8 year-olds about films that make you sad and stupidly told them about Bright Eyes. That Christmas term, the Head rented Watership Down (you could in those days without it being illegal) and the moment the music for Bright Eyes began, 400 heads turned towards me sitting at the side of the hall as I got out my hanky and sobbed into it. My class had obviously spread it around, and were grinning like anything, heartless little horrors. It reminds me of all the adored cats I've loved and lost over the years. Even thinking about it now my eyes are filling up. Oh dear sad

LeBearPolar Fri 02-Jan-15 17:43:30

The most moving bit for me is where he chokes up during Edelweiss because he is saying goodbye to his country.

whitesandstorm Fri 02-Jan-15 17:58:29

It's the scene in the abbey when the Mother Superior sings Climb every Mountain. The bit with the sun streaming in the window and her face in profile and Maria's lovely face. Always gets me.

katese11 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:00:37

It's the most beautiful film ever so YANBU

The bit where the captain starts singing with his children and hugs them gets me every time!

MogTheForgetfulCat Fri 02-Jan-15 18:02:54

I sob all the way through Sound of Music every year. My DC look at me like this confused and edge away quietly. Tis normal in my book!

parques Fri 02-Jan-15 18:04:25

So glad it's not just me then! Up was just equally traumatic! smile

Bettercallsaul1 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:06:52

Was it relief thzt it was over, OP? grin I'm of the contingent shouting "They're behind the tombstones! " as the Gestapo search for the family in the Abbey...

Bettercallsaul1 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:07:48

*that

brotherhoodofspam Fri 02-Jan-15 18:13:14

YANBU 1st time I watched it with DD when she was about 5 I couldn't get past the opening scenes of her on the mountain without getting choked up - had seen it 100s of times before without any tears, I wondered if it was the idea of sharing something with DD that had been a big part of my childhood (and Julie Andrews looks like my Mum)

brotherhoodofspam Fri 02-Jan-15 18:13:53

Feeling tearful even now thinking about it!!

quietbatperson Fri 02-Jan-15 18:31:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyGlen Fri 02-Jan-15 18:51:28

quietbatperson About 24 years ago there was an advert for some car that involved a guy racing through the streets to get somewhere urgently. The last shot was him dashing into the delivery suite to see his baby being born.
The first time I saw the advert I howled - real shuddering sobs. That was the first indication that I was pregnant with DD1. grin

These days I well up at almost anything. The Sound of Music, The Railway Children, medal ceremonies, You'll Never Walk Alone sung at Anfield (not even an LFC fan), Going Home played at St. James' Park...blush

SANTABankWadgerHAT Fri 02-Jan-15 18:56:24

You are not alone OP. My eyes started to well up too blush OP's never happened with that movie before.

Mind you since having children I cry at all sorts of random crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now