Talk

Advanced search

Want to cry?

(27 Posts)
trowelmonkey1 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:25:29

So it's my birthday today. I'm not a fan of OTT celebrations and the plan this year was for lunch out and sales shopping with DH and DS (11mo). I was also going to have a lie in and DH was going to get DS up, dressed and give him his breakfast.

Well, DH has had a cold since the weekend and all plans for my lie in etc have been cancelled because he can't move off the sofa. No nice lunch, no lovely day spent as family, nothing.

I know it's not the end of the world, but I still feel upset. I have PND and it's rare that I get a chance to do something nice for myself. All I wanted was a family day out, is that too much to ask for?

greeneggsandjam Fri 02-Jan-15 16:26:52

No, why does having a cold mean that he cant function enough to get up and move?

TheWitTank Fri 02-Jan-15 16:27:36

Can you rearrange until next weekend? flowers

Sirzy Fri 02-Jan-15 16:27:59

He has a cold. No reason he couldn't have made some effort.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Fri 02-Jan-15 16:28:51

You can be like the Queen and have 2 birthdays, although I don't get why he can't get up and function either confused

Nomama Fri 02-Jan-15 16:29:03

Try again tomorrow, tell your sniffly OP he has had long enough and you won't allow him to spoil your birthday.

Just tell him he is being thoughtless and mean. Move!

capsium Fri 02-Jan-15 16:30:27

Ooh if he has a cold a takeaway curry would be ideal. Do you like that? Then he might feel up to watching a nice movie with you once DS is in bed.

TheWitTank Fri 02-Jan-15 16:30:32

Meant to add, I spent my 30th in Holland on holiday looking after husband and son with food poisoning (both ends) and entertaining my 8 year old. It was not fun. We just held it again 3 days later when everyone was on the mend!

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 02-Jan-15 16:33:01

Omg what a meanie can't he take a bastard lemsip and power through?

capsium Fri 02-Jan-15 16:33:33

Whilst waiting for the curry (if you like it) you could do some internet sales shopping...I'm sure people could recommend some fab Internet shops to look at if you say what you fancy.

merlehaggard Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:24

Perhaps he feels worse than you are giving him credit for. I know I would feel the same as you but it might not be totally reasonable. Surely on your birthday he would be making a big effort if he could. I know there are some very nasty viruses around.

MillieMoodle Fri 02-Jan-15 16:54:30

Happy birthday OP!
YANBU to feel disappointed.
I would choose another day to have your birthday (when he is feeling better) and announce that x day will be your birthday, seeing as you missed out on what had been planned for your actual birthday. He will have to spoil you that day. I have done that in the past when DH has had a cold on my birthday and I've spent the day running around after him. Not quite the same but better than nothing.

RaisingMen Fri 02-Jan-15 16:58:17

Excellent advice capsium smile

BitOutOfPractice Fri 02-Jan-15 17:02:59

Happy birthday OP. Sorry your DH has wimped out on you. Hope you find a nice alternative treat

YellowTulips Fri 02-Jan-15 17:05:32

Happy Birthday!

Agree with the post above. Treat yourself to a takeout, put on a nice movie, open a bottle of wine and hit the Internet and buy something nice grin

misskangaandroo2014 Fri 02-Jan-15 17:31:01

Tell him your birthday is rescheduled. Happy Birthday x

Icimoi Fri 02-Jan-15 17:37:52

Has he seriously been lying on the sofa for 5 days because of a cold? I reckon a cold gives you rights to two days max of lying around feeling sorry for yourself. Either it's a lot more serious than a cold (in which case he needs the doctor) or he's a massive hypochondriac (in which case he can get over it and give you that lie in).

500Decibels Fri 02-Jan-15 17:38:44

Happy birthday op!
Don't go to bed upset tonight. Do something even if it's ordering a take away or watching a film with a drink.
Buy something nice online for yourself
Have a relaxing bath as you didn't get a lie in
Call a friend
cake

Eebahgum Fri 02-Jan-15 17:39:19

No, it's not too much to ask for. I'd probably cry too If it was me. And I'd make sure dp knew exactly how disappointed I was. Happy birthday op. Maybe you should do some online sale shopping with his card to cheer yourself up.

OriginalGreenGiant Fri 02-Jan-15 17:47:17

Think people are being a bit rough on the dh. We've had a really nasty cold/urt virus over Xmas.

I started with it on Boxing Day, just a standard runny nose. 27th I was a bit worse. 28th I spent on the sofa, all day, feeling the worse I've felt in a long time. It was 'just' a cold/virus but I had the heaviest cold ever, felt deaf and dizzy, awful sinus pain and headache when I coughed. Couldn't eat all day and felt weak as a kitten.

Two days later I was fine again. Don't forget a cold IS a virus and some virus's can make you feel bloody awful for a couple of days.

capsium Fri 02-Jan-15 17:50:37

Curry is a good decongestant though, so Indian takeaway is practically medicinal, if you like it...

capsium Fri 02-Jan-15 17:52:20

I wonder if the DH might be able to manage just a little bit of his favourite dish... with some refreshing beer, so good on a parched throat...

capsium Fri 02-Jan-15 17:54:02

Otherwise he needs to be in bed and not taking up the sofa!

trowelmonkey1 Fri 02-Jan-15 18:52:57

Thank you for all your lovely messages grin I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and took DS out for a walk. He fell asleep in the pram, so I stopped off for an uninterrupted coffee. It's the little things in life that make me happy!

I think DH might be worse than I thought. He was semi-naked and wrapped in cold wet towels when I got home. He since had a cold shower and has passed out in bed. I did suggest a curry, but he went green as soon as the words left my mouth! He's not eaten in two days.

Just about to put DS to bed and then I will order my own curry. I've yet to decide if it will be washed down with beer, wine or gin...wink

merlehaggard Fri 02-Jan-15 20:10:23

I know I sure feel sorry for your husband (and I do) but poor you. It's not a great way to spend your birthday but you can still have a nice evening with your takeaway. Hope you do. thankswine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now