Talk

Advanced search

To feed my 2 year old and 9 month old beef bourgignon made with a whole bottle of red wine? It will have cooked for 3 hours but can't remember if the cooking off the alcohol is a myth?

(49 Posts)
Anotheronesoon Fri 02-Jan-15 15:10:30

Am cooking a huge beef bourgignon which has a whole bottle of red in it. My kids love stews but as they are only 2 years and 9 months should I not give them this?

DropYourSword Fri 02-Jan-15 15:13:15

I don't think alcohol cooking off is a myth. I can't imagine why there'd be an issue with this at all. Sounds bloody delicious!

homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm
This chart might help you. If you cook it for 3h, then less than 5% will remain.

FishWithABicycle Fri 02-Jan-15 15:13:52

They'll be fine. I give mine soup with red wine in it regularly. Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water - so you need to allow the pan to simmer for a while to ensure all the alcohol has had a chance to evaporate. The amount of alcohol left in the stew once it's on their plate will be negligible.

Or more to the point, less than 5% of the original alcohol content will remain, which in a standard bottle of wine isn't going to be more than 14% - so 5% of that is 0.7%, and it's less than that.

However, I might not give it to the 9mo, even so.

LST Fri 02-Jan-15 15:15:28

Mmmmm. Sounds immense. They'll be fine x

ElizabethHoover Fri 02-Jan-15 15:15:50

Why not just cook it with stock next time

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 02-Jan-15 15:17:54

You need to give it a good 20 mins or so at an actual simmer, rather than just at a gentle blip iyswim, to make sure the alcohol has boiled/evaporated. Then there's no problem.

ReluctantCamper Fri 02-Jan-15 15:18:13

Because then it wouldn't be beef bourginon

NancyRaygun Fri 02-Jan-15 16:11:01

because it won't taste even remotely as delicious Elizabeth! I would feed both the 2 year old and the 9 month old (and eat their leftovers). Sounds lovely!

YellowTulips Fri 02-Jan-15 16:13:58

I gave it to my DS as a baby. Just mixed up the meat with some mash and not too much of the sauce.

ElizabethHoover Fri 02-Jan-15 16:20:05

yeah but beef stew - martyr mummy and all

ilovesooty Fri 02-Jan-15 16:24:32

Beef stew isn't the same thing.

What's martyr mummy got to do with anything?

ScotsWhaHae Fri 02-Jan-15 16:27:01

Bet it smells lush!

DonnaTheKamikaze Fri 02-Jan-15 16:28:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Just asked DP (he is a Chef) said they will be fine, nearly all of the alcohol will have cooked off, and will be perfectly safe.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 02-Jan-15 16:30:41

Simmer for a few hours (which will make it taste even better anyway smile) and it will be fine. Enjoy!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 02-Jan-15 16:31:02

Agree being a martyr mummy sounds shit.

XiCi Fri 02-Jan-15 16:34:53

I want beef bourgignon now

DonnaTheKamikaze Fri 02-Jan-15 16:37:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BMO Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:23

I would if it's been cooked for 3 hours.

YellowTulips Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:41

I made it for a houseful on Boxing Day (actually made it Xmas eve and reheated so less pfaff after cooking Xmas dinner the day before).

It was lush smile (2 bottles of red in my case - but did make it for 12 people) and served with <blush> shop bought mash and some fine green beans.

Easiest Boxing Day dinner I've done in years. Took 15 mins to finish on the day and everyone loved it!

I'll be doing it again next year....

5ChildrenAndIt Fri 02-Jan-15 16:42:38

It will be fine. If you're worried make the baby's portion light on sauce and heavy on veggies - but I'm sure they would have had more alcoholic apple juice!

YellowTulips Fri 02-Jan-15 16:44:09

Usually cook it on the hob for 3 hours but got a pressure cooker for my birthday and did it in that. Took 40 mins and was as tender as anything.

Have to admit have now fallen in love with the pressure cooker smile

MaryWestmacott Fri 02-Jan-15 16:51:36

you absolutely shouldn't give it to your DCs, I'll come over and 'save' them from it! wink

Honestly, it'll be fine. Will have cooked off virtually all of the alcohol and it is best they aquire a taste for 'real' food made with real ingredients rather than processed rubbish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now