Talk

Advanced search

To start packing now

(20 Posts)
Babiecakes11 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:36:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ithoughtofitfirst Fri 02-Jan-15 14:39:08

If you can start packing last week then you should. If that's possible.

Yanbu.

Offler Fri 02-Jan-15 14:40:38

Just beware that the timescales may change... Our house was due to be complete in November, it was finally finished in March!!

Don't make anything too inaccessible wink

iklboo Fri 02-Jan-15 14:41:18

You'll be getting ahead, especially before you get bigger with your pregnancy. Way better than last minute (like DH would do & wonder why everything wasn't miraculously in neatly labelled boxes). If you know you won't need it of course YANBU.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 02-Jan-15 14:43:02

We've got a due completion date of end of March and have started packing!

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 02-Jan-15 14:45:42

No, you are doing the right thing, but as builds rarely go to plan I'd number the boxes and make a list of exactly what's in each box...just in case.

Babiecakes11 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:46:44

Babiecakes11 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:47:37

Charlesroi Fri 02-Jan-15 14:47:45

I hate packing, so if you can do it bit by bit then carry on. Remind DP of your efforts when it comes to moving day smile

Babiecakes11 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:48:26

Longdistance Fri 02-Jan-15 15:00:27

Yanbu.

When we packed and moved to Oz, we I packed well in advance. Dd2 was 3 mo, so I was heavily pg whilst packing.

We packed things like cds, dvds and books first. Out of season clothes next, then the kitchen utensils and pans/bakeware. You can also take photo's and pictures down.

We loved packing clothes, shoes and bedding into those laundry bags.

Can you tell I've moved 5 times in 7 years? grin

OriginalGreenGiant Fri 02-Jan-15 15:07:29

I wouldn't personally start packing now...far too early IMO.

I would probably start having a good clear out though. Go through all the cupboards, sort through all the clothes and toys and either throwing or selling stuff we didn't need. And do the loft and shed.

So not packing, but trying to get everywhere so ordered, tidy and de-cluttered that packing would be easy to do.

Babiecakes11 Fri 02-Jan-15 15:10:01

Mammanat222 Fri 02-Jan-15 15:11:33

Having just done a big house move and not being able to pack a lot until the week before we moved I would say pack as much as you can now.

Throw being pregnant into the mix and I def say pack all you can. We moved when I was 32w - horrid - and I wasn't much use!

Mammanat222 Fri 02-Jan-15 15:12:03

Clear out / ebay or charity shop your crap is a good idea too!

Babiecakes11 Fri 02-Jan-15 15:15:11

QTPie Fri 02-Jan-15 17:43:01

No, I would start packing now - make sure everything us clearly labelled etc. don't go overboard, but be organised.

Have you exchanged contracts yet? How certain are you of thr move?

Our recent moving history is Oct 2010 (DS 10 months old), Nov 2013, Mar 2014. Being very organised was key - it is amazing how much junk you can accumulate in 3 years! We actually paid for a packing service, but I made sure that I de cluttered to within an inch of our lives, I also found organising in "plastic storage boxes" very helpful (ie medicines, stuff from laundry room).

MadamG Fri 02-Jan-15 17:53:55

We have had three completion dates come and go since last july. I packed some stuff up early and have regretted it on reasonably regular occurrences afterwards. I hope your move isn't as painful and drawn out as ours....

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 02-Jan-15 17:57:09

We 're mainly packing seasonal stuff. Christmas things, summer holiday things, texts that I definitely won't be teaching until next academic year at the earliest. Going to start boxing up CDs and DVDs soon too!

yellowdinosauragain Fri 02-Jan-15 18:00:54

Do you know when the year end is for the company you are buying from? If that's in April you can be damn sure they will be finished in time. Ours fitted it up so they ensured to complete before their year end although they were taking the piss as it wasn't actually finished. Time worked for us though so we didn't complain. If it's much later it's less certain as there may be more financial incentives for them to complete other properties first. So it might help you plan to find this out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now