Talk

Advanced search

to take the kids swimming and not go in?

(20 Posts)
ditavonteesed Fri 02-Jan-15 14:20:23

I have never done this before but they really want to go swimming this afternoon and I really cant be arsed. Would it be ok to take them and read a book in the cafe while they swim? I checked on the pool and they dont need anyone with them over 8 years old which dd2 is. Feels like a cop out but I dont want to go swimming (period and stinking cold)

youbethemummylion Fri 02-Jan-15 14:21:16

Are they competent swimmers?

LadyLuck10 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:23:22

It fully depends on whether your dd is a competent swimmer or not.

FATEdestiny Fri 02-Jan-15 14:23:23

My eldest two are very confident swimmers (swim competitively for swimming club). I have been dropping off/collecting them (without even staying at the pool) for pleasure swimming from them being 8.

ditavonteesed Fri 02-Jan-15 14:25:12

they are safe swimmers, the pool is divided and one part is for play and the deeper bit for swimming, I would tell them not to go in the deeper part without me. I think they mainly want to go on the slides and things. They do have wave machines and they can be quite strong, I normally round them up when the warning sounds so we go and sit in a shallow bit. Worry they might not pay attention to the sound and end up stuck sommewhere.

WorraLiberty Fri 02-Jan-15 14:29:52

If they're safe swimmers and sensible kids, I'd let them get on with it.

I was about that age when I used to walk to the local pool with my best friend and go swimming.

We always stuck to the shallow end, especially when the wave machine was on.

ILovedYouYesterday Fri 02-Jan-15 14:31:25

Can you see them from the cafe? Or is there a viewing area by the pool?

I think I'd want to be able to see them since it's their first time on their own but I'd certainly do it.

CPtart Fri 02-Jan-15 14:33:22

I watched both my DS swim this morning (12 and 9), both very good swimmers, there was no way I was getting my hair wet in this weather.
Now sat mn in coffee shop whilst they watch a film at the cinema (dreadful mother!)

ditavonteesed Fri 02-Jan-15 14:34:33

you can see them from the cafe, I like to check myself as I have a tendency to the over protective which is not good for them. I have just started leaving them in the park while I walk the dogs and sending dd1 (11yo) off on errands on her own but I find the letting them do stuff without my protection really scary.
Thats decided then, it was dd1 who suggested it.

ditavonteesed Fri 02-Jan-15 14:35:30

I didnt think of that, mn app on my phone?

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 02-Jan-15 14:42:37

So they are 11 and 8 and reasonable swimmers and you can see them from the cafe? I think that's fine. Presumably the pool is lifeguarded too so if they did get into difficulties someone would be there immediately and you could dash in from cafe.

clary Fri 02-Jan-15 14:44:14

Of course it's totally fine.

That's what the age limit is about.

Assuming they are good swimmers of course.

littleducks Fri 02-Jan-15 14:46:36

I would sit poolside, rather than the other side of glass so I could shout instructions (like "go sit over there the waves are about to start") if needed

fluffyraggies Fri 02-Jan-15 14:49:57

I'd like to be within shouting distance too. Our pool used to have a cafe with a section poolside. Waist high glass partition. Perfect for yelling instructions over grin

If there was no cafe i'd just sit poolside.

8 and 11, competent swimmers, sounds fine to be swimming with poolside supervision.

Starlightbright1 Fri 02-Jan-15 14:55:14

Doing things for the first time is scary. A few months ago I let my DS play out on the street unsupervised...As I was constantly staring out the window..Door open..Realised he was fine it was me that was not. I do let him do more now.It does get easier..

Sounds like they will be fine

flipchart Fri 02-Jan-15 14:58:21

How times have changed! A gang of us used to go to the town baths on Sunday morning aged between 9 and 11, all various brothers and sisters and not a parent in sight.

Sounds fine, I'd take them swimming, and watch.

RainbowSpiral Fri 02-Jan-15 15:10:46

Sounds fine. We are two mins walk from a small swimming pool and all the locals send their kids off when over 8. the life guards do actively watch the 8,9,10 year olds as I've observed this when I was going in with my kids.

ditavonteesed Fri 02-Jan-15 17:31:45

we just got back, they loved it, been in the pool loads longer than they would if I was with them as I get bored after an hour. 2 very knackered girls.

Starlightbright1 Sat 03-Jan-15 20:14:32

Sounds perfect x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now