Talk

Advanced search

To crave interesting chocolates instead of boring truffles/ pralines/Belgian chocolates?

(27 Posts)
lismore Fri 02-Jan-15 13:30:30

Now that Christmas has finished I'm assessing the fallout and have been left with several boxes of chocolates by kind visitors, but am I the only one craving some real chocolates the way I remember them as a child? It doesn't seem to matter who made this year's selection (Thorntons, M and S, Lily O'Brien, Guylian, Prestat etc) they all taste and feel the same- squishy, fatty, nutty and of tasteless cheap chocolate. I am of course grateful for people's thoughtfulness but am I the only one who hasn't welcomed the rise of the Belgian chocolate everywhere?

I remember a Christmas box of chocolates as a real treat to be savoured not the cheap stuff bought heavily discounted from supermarkets.

The best Christmas chocolate box I remember was Terry's 1767. A lovely solid lid which you removed to reveal 3 drawers of gold coloured cardboard with red tassels.

The top drawer had foil and paper-wrapped chocolate tablets of different flavours. the second included chocolate medallions, bitter chocolate cat's tongues, ginger chocolate plaits and the bottom drawer revealed hard centre like chocolate Russian caramel, hard fudge, marzipan, lemon barrels, charteuse coffee creme and not a praline or Belgian chocolate in sight.

As Kraft bought Terry's there is probably no prospect of bringing back a real Terry's box of chocolates like 1767 but has anyone found some interesting chocolates, with hard centres so that I can treat myself to a New Year box?

olbas Fri 02-Jan-15 13:39:41

Have you tried these? www.montezumas.co.uk I remember buying my mum Sparten chocolates every mother's day, they were plain chocolate with all hard centres. They don't make them anymore though.

chocolatemartini Fri 02-Jan-15 13:42:17

You need Paul A Young chocolates

MsRinky Fri 02-Jan-15 16:59:46

I had a beautiful empty 1767 box that I used to store all my childhood treasures. Gorgeous. I assume my parents enjoyed the chocolates...

No help on the hard centres I'm afraid, but thank you for bringing the memory of that box back.

Andrewofgg Fri 02-Jan-15 17:57:47

If you don't generally like Belgian chocolates you might like Daskalides - they have an outlet in West London. Don't know whether they sell by post.

Hatespiders Fri 02-Jan-15 17:59:46

Oh lismore, I remember Terry's 1767! Oh joy! I particularly remember the cats' tongues. Langue de chat! Oh yes! And do you recall Peter's chocolate? (the dark one)
All chocolate tastes peculiar nowadays, as you say, tasteless cheap stuff.

Sadly I've discovered that chocolate and strong/runny cheeses are triggers for my vestibular migraine/vertigo. I daren't have any, as the dizziness is dire. Sob...

Eastpoint Fri 02-Jan-15 18:00:50

What about Hotel Chocolat? They do some interesting flavours. Montezuma's are delicious & do little bags of truffles.

Yambabe Fri 02-Jan-15 18:07:05

One of my friends is a chocolatier and does an amazing range of fab quality chocs. grin

www.scioltichocolates.com

GoodSouls Fri 02-Jan-15 18:19:17

I used to love Weekenders but no one else seems to remember them! They had jellies and chocolates in a really pretty box, lovely smile

Schoolaroundthecorner Fri 02-Jan-15 19:34:56

Guylian is not a good Belgian choc brand in comparison to the amazing belgian chocolates you can get. Proper fancy belgian chocolates would fulfil your criteria to a tee. Hard to get outside of Belgium though obviously!

Maryberryjam Fri 02-Jan-15 19:44:52

I used to love a box of carousel smile

Brownsauce83 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:47:36

Yambabe I love Sciolti chocolates! Fan flavours and really fresh tasting.

HemlockStarglimmer Fri 02-Jan-15 19:52:09

I remember Weekend chocolates!

Terry's Spartan Assortment were my favourite though - I miss them so much.

mycatisawesome Fri 02-Jan-15 19:52:16

www.chococo.co.uk/

Try these they are lovely

Mistlewoeandwhine Fri 02-Jan-15 19:56:30

I agree OP. I used to adore chocolates but find the mainstream ones almost inedible now sad Roses used to be a treat but we are throwing this year's out as they just taste like sweet lard. Other normal brands are similar. Next year I will treat us to something luxurious and actually nice.

MsVestibule Fri 02-Jan-15 20:01:24

I second Hotel Chocolat chocolates. I'm a member of their chocolate tasting club and get a box every three months. They cost about £20 a box but they're bloody gorgeous.

The trouble is, they've spoiled me for any other boxes of chocolates. I still enjoy a cheap bar of chocolate (e.g. Dairy Milk) but not cheap boxes of chocolate. I could probably force one down me if absolutely necessary, though.

someonestolemynick Fri 02-Jan-15 20:43:32

Lindt chocolate! The first box of chocolates I actively enjoyed.

manchestermummy Fri 02-Jan-15 21:09:51

YANBU. My cousin's dp has a chocolate shop and makes the stuff. Sadly they are several 1000s of miles away. My aunt sent a load over the pond for Christmas. Oh my good Lord: that is chocolate. Bitter, smooth, sweet all in one bite.

MIL buys us Thornton's "Classics" every year. We can't be bothered to open it.

I can recommend Aldi Florentines btw.

HedgehogsDontBite Fri 02-Jan-15 21:21:43

YANBU I was moaning about this earlier to DH. Sick to death of bloody pralines.

Cumberlover76 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:37:17

Oooh, Lindt Master Chocolatier selection (the big box) very special and yummy!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 02-Jan-15 21:45:48

Ooh just reminded me that I have a box of Waitrose Seriously Chocolatey Milk Chocolate Truffles (now open) blush and a box of M&S Cherry Brandy chocolates (safe for now)

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Sat 03-Jan-15 09:20:45

I've hidden away a box of M&S Swiss? chocolates in a big flat gold box that I remember as being very nice and I want to savour in peace rather than general Christmas troughing. I've also got 3 of the little Hotel Chocolate trays of 6 chocolates left. I just can't eat Cadbury, thorn tons, quality street etc any more. They all taste the same and aren't nice.

I've let DP eat all the cheap rubbish and just picked a few bits out here and there, mainly some divine M&S biscuits or lidl Christmas goodies.

millionsofpeaches Sat 03-Jan-15 10:43:26

I was going to say chococo too. They have truly amazing chocolates, really unusual. But it can be a bit like Bertie Bott's every flavour beans, think blue cheese and cranberry flavour in a chocolate coating!

lismore Sat 03-Jan-15 23:55:35

Ooh thank you for your suggestions! I'll give them a try over the next few months.

Edenviolet Sat 03-Jan-15 23:58:55

Dh spent SIX hours making chocolates today.

To be fair, they were delicious but it took him ages, nobody could go in the kitchen as he was getting stressed at times as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now