Talk

Advanced search

finding homes for all the new stuff

(19 Posts)
fairylightsonthetree Fri 02-Jan-15 08:26:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

londonrach Fri 02-Jan-15 08:32:44

I understand however could you turn this on its head and use this time and your dc (dont know the ages) to sort out and clear out toys and books not used.

Hotbot Fri 02-Jan-15 08:47:11

Nope drives me mad too, but it's also my fault a bit as well as I am a minimalist , dh is a hoarder and gps are generous .although strangely I think I may be a little bit sad when they are old enough to get tablets and PC games and not puzzles, and games .

Hoppinggreen Fri 02-Jan-15 08:52:21

Totally agree, my DC have birthdays just before Xmas as well!!!
We still have loads of stuff in its packaging

TheNumberfaker Fri 02-Jan-15 09:00:56

I feel your pain, Fairy . My heart sank this year when the ILs gave DD1 the same kind of music set and rubbish guitar they gave her about 3 years ago that I had binned managed to pass on to make space for more appropriate toys. I do feel ungrateful but it does feel like it's all for that Xmas Day present opening frenzy that the ILs love to witness!

Hatespiders Fri 02-Jan-15 09:27:15

We always have a massive stock-take in our house at the start of January. It's fun, and the cold weather means you can't do much outside anyway. We pile all our clothes and other things up in the conservatory and sort them out.
The charity shops get some, the rag-pile for dusters etc gets some more, and then we have a huge suitcase for 'Africa' which my dh takes next time for his family (60 people in total!!) Then we clean and dust all the wardrobes and drawers and put the 'keepers' back tidily and feel very smug.

We also do a 'finances review' in the same way. All the filing cabinet drawers get emptied and papers sorted, then a sheet of A4 with every account written down with amounts etc. It's really useful and you can see exactly where you are money-wise.

We also do one or two car-boots in the summer, so we have three large plastic crates with 'stuff' in, which go in the garage. It's surprising how much that can bring in, between £50 - £70 each time.

monkeytroubles Fri 02-Jan-15 09:47:02

It's not being ungrateful, it's about literally not having the space to store things. Our DD is only one and she received so many toys for Christmas, the sheer volume of stuff was overwhelming and has completely taken over our living room and DH's study. We are moving house this year and have been desperately trying to de-clutter and get rid of the 10 years worth of stuff we've accumulated since being in our current house. Our families know this but PIL's still brought round three bin-liners full of toys for DD, several of the larger toys were age 3+ so we will be moving them to the new house only to have to find somewhere to store them for a couple of years until DD is old enough for them.

TheEponymousGrub Fri 02-Jan-15 10:26:53

Monkeytroubles, at least you can use the house-move as an excuse. Box up the toys, label by suitable age, and stote them 'temporarily' at the IL's house!
In the absence of such an opportunity, I have no idea what to do. Last Jan I bought a huge storage unit and was DELIGHTED to cram everything in there, this now it's full...

fairylightsonthetree Fri 02-Jan-15 11:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chippednailvarnish Fri 02-Jan-15 11:20:15

Can you ebay any of it?

BlackbirdOnTheWire Fri 02-Jan-15 11:24:16

YANBU. We have the same problem. My DPs even gave stuff that they knew my DC already had, because they bloody checked first and then said "oh well, now they have two"!

Welliesandpyjamas Fri 02-Jan-15 11:31:21

In our house, a set part of our Christmas ritual is the boxing up of old toys to give to less fortunate children (well, the charity collection, really, but describing it the other way makes it easier for them to understand and more connected to them as children, and hopefully makes them appreciate how much they have). So on Boxing Day or sometimes later, the toys are sorted through and boxed up, making space for new ones. Yes, it could get ebayed but on the scale of life etc it is far better for a charity to make the money.

EatDessertFirst Fri 02-Jan-15 11:43:40

Same here. We religiously have a massive clear out late September (both DC have October birthdays). We have already put our foot down for next year. Its not about us being ungrateful, its us physically having no more storage space.

monkeytroubles Fri 02-Jan-15 11:48:38

Eponymous, last time in laws agreed to store some stuff for us at their place they put it on eBay so won't be doing that again. Although I will admit to not being quite as gutted as I made out when they flogged DH's drum kit grin

Feeling your pain. It all seems so wasteful/OTT. How many puzzles/games do we need?? Especially as MIL always gets lots of cheap stuff - sounds ungrateful but would rather have just one 'nicer' thing. I suggested last year we all went to the panto/Christmas outing instead, but they never had the time.

Purplepoodle Fri 02-Jan-15 12:04:03

With duplicates I hide them away in my room and then regift as birthday presents when dc are invited to parties.

Purplepoodle Fri 02-Jan-15 12:05:32

Perhaps suggest to gp something like annual tickets for the zoo or theme park ect and one small present for dc to open.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 02-Jan-15 12:08:32

I agree. I'm feeling a bit sick at the thought of sorting it all out.

MiaowTheCat Fri 02-Jan-15 12:43:08

I've just about fitted everything in here - but it was a real struggle this year. Not as organised as I could have been with pre-Christmas clearouts as the kids got admitted to hospital in the run-up (first one then the other got a horrid chest infection that I've now got myself) but we've got stuff to go to younger relatives and are still struggling to fit it all in. It's bloody play kitchen stuff that's being my nightmare!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now