Talk

Advanced search

To think young people are really rather lovely, but...

(49 Posts)
DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 02-Jan-15 07:42:36

DD18 hosted a NYE party for a dozen or so friends at our house. Charming kids, well behaved, ate all the Christmas leftovers, made little noise and left the place spotless.

But the stuff they drank! All of it had a sugar content like neat Ribena. Honey bourbon, spiced rum, amaretto, tequila beer, fruit cider etc.

AIBU to think the modern palate is a bit childish?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Fri 02-Jan-15 07:46:13

I hope they weren't the buggers having a party in my close screeching and wailing outside at gone midnight!

SacredHeart Fri 02-Jan-15 07:48:03

My kraken spiced rum isn't sweet but the rest, yes - liquid sugar.

Sirzy Fri 02-Jan-15 07:49:39

Well when I was that age I would have probably been drinking Bacardi breezers so I'm not sure a lot has changed with the sweet drinks being the attractive ones.

Wouldn't touch them now though!

DurhamDurham Fri 02-Jan-15 07:51:06

I agree, my two girls have started to drink their alcohol of choice out of those kiln jars with lids and a straw. They bought each other one for Christmas. It's all very odd grin

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Fri 02-Jan-15 07:51:10

It was all about the hooch/Metz/Smirnoff mule/reef when I was a drinker

EatShitDerek Fri 02-Jan-15 07:51:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EatShitDerek Fri 02-Jan-15 07:52:36

hiccupgirl Fri 02-Jan-15 07:59:45

At that age (20+ years ago) I was downing fruit 20/20, Barcardi breeders, Cherry B's with full fat lemonade and Southern Comfort. All as sweet and sickly as anything.

So no, I don't think it's a modern thing, I think it's a being 18 thing.

insancerre Fri 02-Jan-15 08:05:43

Its an age thing
Palettes develop with age
How many 18 year olds do you know that drink red wine?
I didn't like red wine till I was in my 30s and I've never liked lager
Dd is 18 and she drinks all the sweet drinks. Her favourite is alcoholic milk shakes, mud shakes I think they care called
Ds is 25 and he doesnt drink lager, he drinks crabbues ginger beer

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Fri 02-Jan-15 08:08:19

Yeah, it's a being 18 thing. I was all breezers and Archers & lemonade. I remember saying, when I get my own place, there'll always be a bottle of Archers in the house.

Ladies there is no Archers in my house. There's a fairly impressive selection of gin and wine though!

Just the same as 18 year old me would not have thought a blue cheese, mushroom & olive salad the heaven I do now. Tastes mature over time.

GlitzAndGigglesx Fri 02-Jan-15 08:09:37

I love amaretto! I know older people who do too. They are all rather sweet but that takes away the strong alcohol taste of you're drinking it neat

katese11 Fri 02-Jan-15 08:11:00

No worse than what I drank at that age...hooch, archers, reef, wkd....All insanely sugary. Smirnoff ice Black was the epitome of sophistication!

LightastheBreeze Fri 02-Jan-15 08:17:43

DS(22) used to like all the sweet stuff listed, now his favourite alcoholic drink is white wine and he does favour certain ones, he never has liked beer and lager but used to drink cider at parties when he was about 16, as they do. I wouldn't be at all surprised as he gets older that he drinks red wine as well.

ChickenMe Fri 02-Jan-15 10:35:06

I think it's normal. They have immature palates. In my day I loved Hooch which was actually more sour being lemony but the in thing was to soak Skittles minus the green one in vodka and drink it.

JudgeyHotPants Fri 02-Jan-15 10:38:02

I used to drink Smirnoff Ice and Blue WKD at this age, all sugar laden crap. They make me gag now! I'd say it's perfectly normal when you first start drinking.

EatShitDerek Fri 02-Jan-15 10:39:47

JudgeyHotPants Fri 02-Jan-15 10:41:43

I still don't "get" wine! I thought I'd grow into it, but It makes my moth all dry, like the bottom of a budgies cage. Give me a nice cold beer or dry cider any day of the week.

RiverTam Fri 02-Jan-15 10:44:08

20+ years ago when I was 18/19, my drink of choice was a sweet martini and lemonade. Then I got into alcopops when they came on the scene. These days the thought of any of them makes my stomach turn and my teeth feel like their about to fall out.

What were you drinking at 18 - fine wines??? I don't think there's anything new going on here. Younger people tend to have a sweeter tooth.

NorahBone Fri 02-Jan-15 10:44:22

I've been drinking Advocaat and lemonade. Because I have sophisticated, grown-up, 1970s taste in sugary drinks.

YouTheCat Fri 02-Jan-15 10:44:29

Dd likes a glass of wine occasionally.

Her and her mates drink Jagermeister which I think smells like cough medicine. Odd people. grin

StackladysMorphicResonator Fri 02-Jan-15 10:45:55

Kraken spiced rum is sweet SacredHeart (but delicious nonetheless!)

Nervo Fri 02-Jan-15 10:49:58

It was cider, cider and more cider when I was that age.

Or spirits with something sweet and fizzy.

TheLovelyBoots Fri 02-Jan-15 10:51:04

The only youngsters I know of who drink nice alcohol are Sebastian Flyte et al.

Discopanda Fri 02-Jan-15 10:54:08

I drank beer and wine at 18 but we grew up having the occasional half glass of wine with Sunday dinner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now