loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think no I wont cover your bill?

(56 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Fri 02-Jan-15 06:42:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeadingHome Fri 02-Jan-15 06:46:10

YNBU I'm also over hearing people fundraising for vet bills. Can't afford possible bills for accidents, etc.? Get pet insurance. Don't want to fork out for that? Don't have a pet FFS

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 02-Jan-15 07:06:04

No, travel insurance costs about £40. We never leave the uk without it.

FishWithABicycle Fri 02-Jan-15 07:12:42

YANBU if the situation could have easily been avoided by buying insurance. I'd chip in if they had insurance but the insurance providers were wriggling out of coughing up through an unreasonable technicality.

Catsize Fri 02-Jan-15 07:14:41

Yanbu. Can't believe people do this.

londonrach Fri 02-Jan-15 07:23:07

Agree, my last travel insurance cost £7.40 for 4 days in Madeira for two through the meerkat. Big name insurer and everything was included i needed when i checked. Why take the risk? Yanbu at all! Sounds cruel but why should others pay because you dont get the insurance. There seems a rise of it at the moment with the dm regularly doing a story.

Eminybob Fri 02-Jan-15 07:25:31

Well why pay for insurance when you can get members of the public to pay for you hmm

YANBU

supersop60 Fri 02-Jan-15 07:28:14

YANBU

BoomBoomsCousin Fri 02-Jan-15 07:28:34

30k for a stomach bug or broken leg? I've been left sucking up hospital bills abroad like that and it was nowhere near that kind of figure. YANBU though. That's the sort of thing where I might help out family or friends who had been that silly, but not just anyone.

MaryWestmacott Fri 02-Jan-15 07:31:06

YANBU, although there's a case in the paper at the mo with a couple who had a very premature baby while on holiday in New York, the travel insurance covered the mothers costs but costs relating to the baby's treatment aren't covered as they weren't listed on the insurance policy (what with the baby not being born when they set off). I travelled when 27 weeks pregnant, I checked the insurance would cover maternity treatment, but didn't occur to me to check that if the baby was born early their intensive care costs would be covered.

Marylou2 Fri 02-Jan-15 07:42:39

YANBU.People seem to have money to go on holiday and no doubt money to spend when they get there yet they see travel insurance as an optional extra. Also I would refuse entry to the UK to anyone from outside the EU who hasn't got fully comprehensive travel insurance.

londonrach Fri 02-Jan-15 07:49:45

Mary theres another thread going about that baby in new york. Agree with those posting it seems very strange. Read before you donate.

OneDayWhenIGrowUp Fri 02-Jan-15 07:52:05

What on Earth cost them 30k??? I spent 5 days in hospital in Singapore, pretty ill on a drip etc, cost around £5k (had to pay up front and claim back from the insurance).

YANBU, although that preemie baby would be an exception I think.

Carrierpenguin Fri 02-Jan-15 07:58:42

Yanbu. I watched a programme before about dodgy medical clinics overseas ramping up prices for tourists, expecting tge insurance company or the tourist themself to foot the bill. This is made worse if the individual is drunk at the time they are collected by ambulance from the street in the night, they can ramp up a huge bill for the ambulance, drips, emergency doctor etc.

You are a fool not to have medical insurance and also a fool to get so blind drunk that you injure yourself/pass out laying yourself open to being given a massive bill for medical treatment.

Choccybaby Fri 02-Jan-15 08:04:06

If you need medical evacuation eg doctor with you on the plane, or even ambulance repatriation it can be in excess of £30K

CrispyFern Fri 02-Jan-15 08:09:18

Yanbu

Inthedarkaboutfashion Fri 02-Jan-15 08:10:21

That story about the preemie baby is very sad and I think the insurance company is being unreasonable, however, I think it is sensible to not travel abroad on non essential trips during the last trimester when the baby could be born and survive as these cases have happened before and insurance companies have refused to pay out. One of these cases seem to come along every few years.

EveDallasRetd Fri 02-Jan-15 08:15:21

My mum and dad were going to take their last trip abroad without any insurance because it was going to cost too much (both in their 80s with illnesses/injuries). They were pretty adamant until I gently pointed out that if 'the worst' happened, then repatriation would cost thousands rather than hundreds - and none of their kids would be able to find the cash without bank loans etc.

In the end we clubbed together to get the insurance for them, otherwise they were going to cancel their trip. They didn't need it, but they understood why we were insistent.

It means that it was their last holiday abroad (dad says he won't let us pay again), and I'm sorry for that, but the alternative is worse.

Rosa Fri 02-Jan-15 08:17:48

I have seen too many people caught out and would NEVER travel without insurance. i take out yearly European cover for the whole family then we are covered when we holiday in the same country but away from home. We have made 2 claims in about 8 years 1 due to bad weather and we missed the connection , and another when dd took ill in a European country ( so she was covered ) but we got better 'care' as we were insured - moved up the queue found a bed in hosp faster. < theyprobably did it as they knew they were making more money but when you child is sick you don't care)
True Story : person took worldwide insurance out not including USA as she was in transit there to get on another flight. She took ill at the airport and had a bill of £42,000 to pay .
However, I travelled regularly when I was PG and my insurance only covered me for the baby if I forwarded medical certificates saying that my pregnancy was 'normal with no expected complications'.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Fri 02-Jan-15 08:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pludolphTheRedNosedReindeer Fri 02-Jan-15 08:40:54

shock I'd love to know what you said when they asked! Was each of the three approaches different?

KitKat1985 Fri 02-Jan-15 08:42:14

YANBU, I've also seen a few instances like this and just 'well, you should have bloody got travel insurance then'!

Tryharder Fri 02-Jan-15 08:44:07

If you're taken ill in the EU, your bills will be covered by the E1-11 reciprocal agreement, surely? But, yes this won't cover ongoing or non emergency treatment or repatriation.

It is annoying though because visitor to the UK rarely bother with medical insurance because Aunty NHS will pick up the bill no questions asked.

Orangeisthenewbanana Fri 02-Jan-15 08:47:41

YANBU - travel insurance in most cases is under £50 and a lot of banks now offer it for free just for having a particular account with them (Nationwide for example). No excuse for not paying that.

Bunbaker Fri 02-Jan-15 08:49:08

A lot of insurance policies sold are unnecessary, and insurance providers prey on people's fear.

The insurances I would always take out would be car, house (building and contents) and holiday.

The first is a legal requirement and it is extremely dim not to take out insurance for the other two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now