Talk

Advanced search

WIBU in asking MIL for clean sheets for the bed?

(66 Posts)
hhhhhhh Thu 01-Jan-15 23:52:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eltonjohnsflorist Thu 01-Jan-15 23:54:58

That's disgusting but I don't think I could ask. Seems a bit rude and might humiliate your ILs

SoMuchForSubtlety Thu 01-Jan-15 23:55:15

Yuck. I wouldn't have slept in someone else's dirty sheets either.

Eltonjohnsflorist Thu 01-Jan-15 23:55:54

(I'd sleep on towels or something, or maybe find their linen cupboard and help myself secretly)

divingoffthebalcony Thu 01-Jan-15 23:57:03

Bleeeee. I would have asked (nicely!) for some new sheets as well.

ShirleyYoureNotSerious Thu 01-Jan-15 23:59:09

Ugh! No you weren't unreasonable. Who in their right mind thinks it's ok to offer someone a bed which someone else has slept in?

All you can do is be as helpful as possible, just as you are being. I'd suggest that you do offer to strip the beds, not just for the sake of courtesy but to reinforce the concept that it's appropriate to change bedlinen between guests!

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 00:00:58

it depends how you asked really. Id have pretended id spilled something on them myself to get clean ones if they were truly awful, but i probably would not care and just wear pyjamas because its kind of treating her like a hotel

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 02-Jan-15 00:01:06

I've done it few times when stayed at one of my sisters I've stayed 100s of times and she usually always remembers if not I have no prob in asking.

Parents always give clean sheets and put in wash after, same as when anyone stays at mine.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 02-Jan-15 00:01:42

So no you weren't BU

Notso Fri 02-Jan-15 00:12:23

Dirty sheets are yuck, but if this happened in my parents (and it wouldn't) I'd just get the sheets myself.

TheBooMonster Fri 02-Jan-15 00:17:50

Yanbu I would strip the bed before you leave too, once it's stripped it's as much effort to wash the covers as to put dirty ones back on Do you think that this is something that happens regularly and you've missed or that it was an honest mistake and they forgot to change them?

TipsyMcStaggers Fri 02-Jan-15 00:20:21

Eurgh I'd have done the same. There could have been poo crumbs and clankers on the sheets

AnneofCheese Fri 02-Jan-15 00:20:47

My dad is a nightmare for this. I usually pretend I've spilt a cup of tea or something, and change the sheets myself when we stay

CheeseBuster Fri 02-Jan-15 00:24:28

I would ask most people directly but if it was an awkward relationship with host I'd try and "accidentally" spill something sticky or wet. Maybe blame a leaking shampoo bottle or something.

SaucyJack Fri 02-Jan-15 00:25:12

I don't like the thought of sleeping in someone's else dried cum, but otherwise I couldn't care less.

There's probably far worse on the sofa, and definitely far worse on the toilet seat.

Goldmandra Fri 02-Jan-15 00:25:21

I remember MIL expecting me and DH to sleep in BIL's dirty sheets once. Cue lots of PA comments about what hard work washing is following DH asking for clean sheets.

I don't get why anyone would expect you to sleep in dirty sheets. This is a situation for which minging is the perfect word.

Aeroflotgirl Fri 02-Jan-15 00:28:19

YANBU at all, the sheets had blood and hair on them, of course I would ask MIL for clean sheets.

DancingDinosaur Fri 02-Jan-15 00:35:27

Of course yanbu. That is so rude, or lazy, or both.

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Fri 02-Jan-15 00:36:19

Sleeping in someone else's dirty sheets is bloody grim. I always strip the bed if I've stayed overnight at someone else's house. it's not a reflection on what I think of their housekeeping, it's saving them a job and being a thoughtful guest.

Darkandstormynight Fri 02-Jan-15 00:50:14

YANBU!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 02-Jan-15 00:52:39

Yanbu

I always make sure have clean sheets for spare room. Wash it after someone has stayed

Could understand If unplanned visit and had a guest stay previously and hadn't changed the bed - but that's why you change when guest leaves so always fresh for new guest plus you were arranged

Bananayellow Fri 02-Jan-15 01:15:44

Yuck

ILovedYouYesterday Fri 02-Jan-15 01:15:44

Ywnbu at all.

I'd not mind saving a bit of washing by sleeping in a bed that my sister or dd had slept in for a night or two but anyone else, just bleaugh, and especially as you know he's not the most hygienic of people.

In-laws were being u expecting you not to notice/mind.

musicalendorphins2 Fri 02-Jan-15 01:47:18

If there was no way that your dh couldn't simply have got clean sheets out himself for you to change them, then yanbu. I wouldn't sleep in used sheets either. Your in-laws should have made the bed up freshly for you since someone other than you was in them.

QTPie Fri 02-Jan-15 01:48:51

Yuck!

Maybe they had forgotten - busy time over Xmas. Glad that they had some clean sheets x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now