Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Woo or not?

(178 Posts)
babbityann Thu 01-Jan-15 21:05:46

Hello, I am new to Mumsnet. I would like to start a discussion on Clairvoyants, psychics, etc. Am I being AUBU to think that they are all charlatans just taking troubled people's money?

Andrewofgg Thu 01-Jan-15 21:08:17

You are right, but get your flameproof undies on now!

EatShitDerek Thu 01-Jan-15 21:08:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RonaldMcFartNuggets Thu 01-Jan-15 21:08:54

Yep.

CalleighDoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 21:11:00

Haha yes total no nonsense. They are very good readers of people.

Shakey1500 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:11:45

There's a lot that do I reckon. As proven, there's various techniques/tricks used to exploit folk's grief which is despicable.

That said, I think there are some people with some sort of "gift" (for want of a better phrase) and I quite like a reading, but have my eyes open to it's lightheartedness and validity, or complete lack of.

babbityann Thu 01-Jan-15 21:14:44

Don't mind being 'flamed'. I just feel very angry at a 'Self styled' medium who told my, recently bereaved and very vulnerable friend that her dead daughter was distressed to have 'passed over'. She is now even more upset as she thought that her daughter had had a peaceful death. I think these people prey on the vulnerable for profit!

CarbeDiem Thu 01-Jan-15 21:18:50

From personal experience - No they're not ALL charlatans. Some are.
So yes YABU to judge them all the same.

Welcome to MN.

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 01-Jan-15 21:33:27

Yes, they are all charlatans. Sorry about your personal experience. thanks

Charlie97 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:36:04

Money making charlatans IMO!

perplexedpirate Thu 01-Jan-15 21:41:59

YANBU. They are my absolute pet hate.
Tantamount to grave-robbing IMO.

I've been flamed before for saying this so I'm used to it now.
<gets marshmallows>

revealall Thu 01-Jan-15 21:44:53

I don't believe the dead can come back in any regard but my friend swears blind has seen and felt them.
On the other hand I have had very specific predictions for the future that have come true so not ruling woo out completely
Why would anyone say that someone was distressed to pass over...not like anyone can do anything about it. Just horrible.

RandomNPC Thu 01-Jan-15 21:49:05

It's all bullshit, they are all charlatans. Definitely Woo of the highest calibre!

blueemerald Thu 01-Jan-15 21:50:47

I've never understood why fraud or gaining money under false pretences is illegal in the UK but these proven charlatans are allowed to carry on.

I suppose disclaimers such as this:
Sally Morgan & her psychic services are investigational & for the purpose of entertainment. As they are not recognised scientifically, there are no guaranteed or certain results. go part of the way to explain it but I still don't understand why anyone would read that and still believe! She's pretty much telling you it's fake!

WineWineWine Thu 01-Jan-15 22:00:07

Not a single one has EVER provided proof under controlled conditions of what they claim to be able to do. Even with the million dollar prize available.
They are all charlatans. Every single one of them.

babbityann Thu 01-Jan-15 22:01:48

Thanks for replies.
I am very angry with this 'clairvoyant' as my friends were getting better and was placed back at square one on hearing her daughter 'was distressed at passing over'. Rubbish! She was peaceful and had been ill for 18 months. I really hope my friend doesn't go and see another one to get over the last one, IYKWIM!

RandomNPC Thu 01-Jan-15 22:18:10

And that is the reason that they are not a bit of harmless fun. It was truly appalling for that bloody charlatan to tell your friend that, heartbreaking.

SorchaN Thu 01-Jan-15 22:18:44

I had a friend who believed in that kind of stuff. I told him I believe its just an ability to read people. And then I read him to demonstrate how it works. Really freaked him out, but I think he ended up thinking I had some kind of clairvoyant powers, even though I insisted that I don't... I loved the recent programme about the Amazing Randi - I think it's on youtube...

AcrossthePond55 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:22:07

A supposed 'psychic healer' took terrible advantage of my alcoholic brother during one of his drinking bouts (he's gotten help since). Including taking him to a car dealership (drunk) and having him buy her a car for her 'church'. Luckily thanks to my very large and intimidating DH and a well-known (in our area) and well connected hard-ass bounty hunter we were able to get the car back from her and return it to the dealership and force them to take it back. So yes, I believe the vast majority of 'psychics' are not only frauds, but criminals.

BUT, I will admit to having had premonitions, not just about myself, that have come true. And to have had one or two things happen surrounding the deaths of loved ones that I really can't explain. I guess it could be down to coincidence, but who really knows. I do believe, however, that if someone really did have a true gift, they wouldn't use it to take advantage of people.

AmantesSuntAmentes Thu 01-Jan-15 22:23:56

I believe people see and hear things which are inexplicable. I do too. I don't believe people should earn from it, personally. I wouldn't dream of it but then I don't offer to tell anyone anything. Some things are better left unsaid and I'd be equally as angry as you, were someone to hurt one of my friends.

AmantesSuntAmentes Thu 01-Jan-15 22:27:00

To add - when people call it 'a gift' then charge others for it. They're getting it wrong. Surely the gift aspect should be what they could give to others, when asked. I don't consider it a gift. I consider it a pita.

AmantesSuntAmentes Thu 01-Jan-15 22:27:03

To add - when people call it 'a gift' then charge others for it. They're getting it wrong. Surely the gift aspect should be what they could give to others, when asked. I don't consider it a gift. I consider it a pita.

Blackout234 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:28:06

I believe some have gifts yes. My sister and i have seen and predicted things that i cannot explain, however, we would NEVER dream of taking money for this and i believe the vast majority that do take money for these so called readings are simply scam artists

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Thu 01-Jan-15 22:30:21

What a vile thing to tell your friend. That makes me so angry.
I dont suppose this 'psychic' offered to help for a fee did they?

gatewalker Thu 01-Jan-15 22:30:39

Amantes - You don't think people with a 'gift' in this area should charge? Why ever not? What about those accountants with an innate gift for numbers; or teachers with an innate gift for being able to communicate effectively with their students? And a lawyer who was born to be a highly respected prosecutor? Should they not charge either?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now