Talk

Advanced search

To think people should not be giving details about their children to randoms on line

(21 Posts)
Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 21:01:16

Add message | Report | Message poster Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 19:51:17
Just been on FB and soomone was asking for people to play mine craft with her child primary age

Then under comments dozens of people just giving over their child's min carft I'd say oh yes so and so would love to play

they have no fucking idea who the poster is and the poster if genuine has no idea who the people replying are it could be a 40 year old from Stoke rather than another 7 year old

I am just like at the amount of people who replied who just trust the poster is genuine their are so many cat fishes on line just so shocked

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:09:32

Oh dear looks like this is a dead topic

NobodyLivesHere Thu 01-Jan-15 22:13:36

What's wrong with stoke?

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:21:26

grin

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Thu 01-Jan-15 22:23:42

Is it just a game or does it have chat app attached to it?

BertieBotts Thu 01-Jan-15 22:25:00

Catfishes online? Blimey. Technology has advanced.

BertieBotts Thu 01-Jan-15 22:26:09

Minecraft does have chat but it's just a text based one and fairly clunky, hard to use especially on the console versions. Personally I supervise my primary age child when he plays games anyway, so would hope to catch any inappropriate chat.

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:26:41

A catfish is someone who pretends to be someone they're not using Facebook or other social media to create false identities,

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:27:55

I just find it odd people so willing to give out their children's details to people they don't no it's bizzare and surely not all this children will be supervised

Can you reply with a link to a website or webpage that describes best practise wrt children and internet safety? People get comfortable, trusting, and complacent it seems- a safety reminder could be enough to re ignore people's caution.

An incident from when my child was young reminds me that there's not only stranger and imposter danger but also from people you know and trust, and that all internet use and communications need to be supervised and monitored for children.

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:49:08

No wonder children hard to navigate internet safety if adults can't

sanfairyanne Thu 01-Jan-15 22:50:23

isnt facebook usually people you know in some way? not 'catfish'?

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:54:07

Sadly not their are lots of FB groups

And this is why it's so shocking as this was a random FB group that anyone can join

Somemothers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:56:14

Some fab groups have upwards of a 2k members also you don't even need to be a member to comment

bloodyteenagers Thu 01-Jan-15 23:00:49

My youngest is set so he cannot talk to people. cannot use the text function, it is disabled.
Hasn't got a headset.
Just saying.

BertieBotts Thu 01-Jan-15 23:05:21

OK, while I agree this is a risky thing to do, it's not the same as offering your child up to predators.

Parent posts child's real name, photo, school, login details on public site advertising for children to join up groups, and then leaves child to it = horrendously naive and dangerous, even stupid.

But just exchanging online names, on a game you supervise usage of, keeping dialogue open with your DC about online safety and monitoring their actions and being there to back them up and support them if they see anything they aren't sure about, that could actually be a very positive way to introduce DC to the world of online gaming and safety issues contained therein.

I wouldn't personally use such a site but I don't think it's as inherently terrible as you're making out. That's like saying dating sites are awfully dangerous because rapists use them. Well, of course they do, but lots of genuine people use them as well.

If you just lock your DC away from anything potentially dodgy and don't allow them any freedom to navigate situations themselves - with full backup - when they do encounter these experiences they will be totally naive and possibly more at risk than a younger child.

Just as you hold a small child's hand to cross the road and as they get older you slowly allow them more freedom, you wouldn't carry them across every road until they were 10 and then let them out alone, they'd get killed. Children today are going to have to navigate this world as adults, it's our responsibility to educate them about it, not protect them from it.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 01-Jan-15 23:09:02

Why would you have people on fb as friends if you didn't know them and they weren't your friends. So if Jennie you know from hairdressers says her son Tom would like to play, you know she has a son Tom and how old he is.

Am I missing something?

sanfairyanne Thu 01-Jan-15 23:11:34

well its a bit weird to post on a public fb group, seeing as they can.just play online with random strangers anyway, without getting their mum to set it up
kind of pointless
i was thinking more 'my fb friends kids'

bloodyteenagers Thu 01-Jan-15 23:38:37

It depends the pc version yes you can play with random people.
Other versions you need to be friends first, so need assistance

GlitterBelle Fri 02-Jan-15 02:48:04

Yes you are morethanpotatoprints, but the OP is talking about Facebook groups, not friends. You can have your Facebook locked to your friends only, but you can also join groups I.e selling pages, the town you're from, hobbies - and it's in one of these groups which will all (or mostly be) strangers that people have posted their child's details.

Somemothers Fri 02-Jan-15 07:45:43

poster morethanpotatoprints. Yes you are missing something these are pretty much on line forums with in Facebook so I could set up a "dog lovers group" and mark it public which means anyone can join any one can comment and any one can see the ALL the posts and the people posting their are private groups however they are still made up of randoms they usually have admin but are very ineffective and you don't really know who the hell admin is either they may have motives to set up a FB group

BertieBotts*my main issue is parents giving out their childrens details on a. Open forum to people they don't know in some cases people were giving their childrens names and mid craft ids some were even giving their location ECt

I am of saying that everyone is a rapist but their are some really strange people on FB and you have no clue of their motives somone posted a picture of a lady just last night asking do they know the address of this women as she had ripped them off so many people got involved say I know her and her address was published with in about 100 replies ffs they really had no proof weather this woman had ripped any one other than the say so of the poster the man could of been abusive ex any fucker* confused

I think give your own details out on line by all means but not your children and not other peoples I am sorry but giving your child's details out to randoms on a public FB group dose not help a child navigate the www

The diffrence with dating sites is that your not giving the info direct to that person and myself I always kept chat the the min over the net and opted to meet people quickly to verify if they were genuine and it's more difficult to lie as eventually you plan to meet up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now