Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - MIL feeding DS (11mo) out of date food

(58 Posts)
0ddsocks Thu 01-Jan-15 17:53:56

We are staying with MIL and FIL. MIL made the kids (3 and 11mo) cheese on toast for tea. I noticed the cheese was 1 month out of date and decided to take it off DS (11mo) as I didn't want him to get ill - he had a stay in hospital 2 weeks ago so I'm a bit protective of him atm. Was happy to let 3yo eat it, made DS marmite on toast instead. MIL seems offended now.

Was that unreasonable? I am quite careful about food hygiene having 2 young children, and in my opinion they are generally too relaxed about it - food left out all day when it should be in the fridge, that kind of thing.

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 17:56:59

No not unreasonable - my dad would have done the same as your mil though! Drives me mad!

SpidersInTheBox Thu 01-Jan-15 17:57:21

1 month out of date, why did you let your 3 yo eat it?!

WutheringFrights Thu 01-Jan-15 17:59:42

Sorry but YAB a bit U....it's cheese!

Snappynewyear Thu 01-Jan-15 18:00:31

Out of date does not actually mean the food 'expires' on that date. Most out of date food is perfectly ok to eat. It's just using common sense to look, smell and taste the food in question.

But I would err on the side of caution with children so YANBU

iklboo Thu 01-Jan-15 18:01:22

Best before date or eat before? Best before is just guidance that the cheese will be at its premium at that time.

Iggly Thu 01-Jan-15 18:01:35

Why is it OK for your ds but not the 11 month old? confused its either OK or not

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 01-Jan-15 18:04:15

My XP was a chef. If it looks okay, smells okay and tastes okay it's safe. But I don't think YABU. He's your son, if it makes you feel uncomfortable don't give it to him. fsmile

WD41 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:04:48

Yanbu. I wouldn't have let the 3yo eat it either though.

dottytablecloth Thu 01-Jan-15 18:04:54

Disgusting to expect either child out of date food, or anyone.

Yuck!

OhShittingHenry Thu 01-Jan-15 18:05:17

Cheese improves with age and as long as it's not mouldy - unless it's blue cheese! - then it's perfectly alright. YABU I'm afraid - nobody's going to die from the cheese.

MrsCakesPrecognition Thu 01-Jan-15 18:05:55

I would have stopped anyone eating very mouldy cheese. Slightly mouldy cheese, I might just pare it off. Out of date but just a bit rubbery, perfect for grilling.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 01-Jan-15 18:05:56

I think cheese is a bit different to an out of date pork chop or piece of chicken, so YABU

dottytablecloth Thu 01-Jan-15 18:05:59

And 1 month out of date?

<boak>

Purplepoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 18:08:06

Unless it was mouldy I wouldn't have a problem. I don't know the date of cheese in our house as it goes in a container

Blackout234 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:08:14

1 month out of date? YABU for not taking it off both of them

0ddsocks Thu 01-Jan-15 18:09:09

My reasoning was the 3yo is tougher and generally more used to a very varied diet, it was the recent hospitalisation (not stomach related) that made me more concerned it might upset his tummy. I admit, possibly flawed logic, and also didn't want to face the todo of trying to take it off the 3yo who was eating it happily blush

Floggingmolly Thu 01-Jan-15 18:10:56

Why were you "happy to let" your 3 year old eat it?

0ddsocks Thu 01-Jan-15 18:10:56

Hospitalisation of 11mo, not 3yo

pickles184 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:12:02

With cheese I would be saying YABabitU unless it was obviously mouldy/smelled/tasted off. Best Before is indeed a very different thing to Use By when looking at perishable foods.
If you were happy for 3 yr old then really should be ok with 11 month old. I can understand you being extra cautious following a hospital trip and I can understand PIL being a little offended. In the grand scheme of things though hardly worth stressing over.
Perhaps explain that you were just being extra sensitive due to the hospital stay and apologise for any offence as it wasn't meant as a slur on their hospitality?

Floggingmolly Thu 01-Jan-15 18:12:37

X posted. Cheese should be one of the safest foods re. Food poisoning, though.

BraeburnIsNotHam Thu 01-Jan-15 18:13:07

I would eat cheese well past the best before date but would not necessarily give it to DD. I would also cook/grill it too (even for me) as old cheese can become really strong!!

Plateofcrumbs Thu 01-Jan-15 18:13:30

Depends on the type of cheese - something like cheddar if it wasn't mouldy I would expect to be perfectly edible. Soft cheese I might be more suspicious.

Storytown Thu 01-Jan-15 18:15:20

It would have been fine but as LO is only 11mo and recently hospitalised I can understand why you did what you did.

CheeseBuster Thu 01-Jan-15 19:26:31

YABU if it was as I'm guessing cheddar? Less U if it was Philadelphia/Boursin etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now