Talk

Advanced search

To think the royal family are loving

(62 Posts)
ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 15:50:15

Jim and Barbara not Queen Liz et al.

Been watching the old series again and i can't help but love the way they are with each other. Would have loved that kind of household growing up.
Well mostly.

CalleighDoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 16:04:38

Apart from the neglect of baby david and sending the older son for cigarettes...

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Thu 01-Jan-15 16:06:11

Don't they all gang up on one of the children and constantly call him idle while making him do everything for them?

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Thu 01-Jan-15 16:09:24

Can't stand them

ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 16:15:59

Of course they're not perfect. They don't pretend to be.
I just think they are essentially close.

OneStepCloser Thu 01-Jan-15 16:20:12

Jims a sexist pig and bully, the way he treats Barbs is awful sad

Cantbelievethisishappening Thu 01-Jan-15 16:22:04

Barbara is nothing more than his slave.

ilovesooty Thu 01-Jan-15 16:23:23

Yeah it's great the way she goes out to work, he does fuck all and she does all the housework and cooking at home.

ilovesooty Thu 01-Jan-15 16:25:13

In fact isn't there an episode where she gets really upset at being taken for granted and Jim thinks it's all down to the menopause?

AmIthatHot Thu 01-Jan-15 16:26:24

Not sure about the loving part. Denise and Dave are neglectful parents.

Jim is an abusive arse, who bullies his son and is awful to his wife.

You really would have liked to grow up in a family like that, OP?

ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 16:26:25

Maybe I should have put <lighthearted> in the title.

ilovesooty Thu 01-Jan-15 16:27:58

I don't think lighthearted would have made the thread any less twattish.

ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 16:31:29

I was being facetious.

Pretty nasty comment the sooty. Thanks for that.

Sparklingbrook Thu 01-Jan-15 16:32:53

Confused you can't win can you? it's a sitcom. But no, it has to be picked apart on MN as if it's a documentary of someone's real life.

There's a thread about TBBT today picking Leonard's character to bits.

I think that the writers got across that the fictional Royle family did actually love each other. smile

drbonnieblossman Thu 01-Jan-15 16:35:47

No I get what you mean confused.

That tightness of sitting about together, gathering dust in each others company.

If you were to scrutinise every moment of it then yes barb would appear to be downtrodden and Jim a lazy fucker. But she has a tongue in her head. And he's good at paper stripping with a fish slice.

My best moments were when kim sat in the bathroom with Denise when she was in labour, and on her wedding day. Very loving moments.

And all families need "cup a soup with a twist" for Christmas dinner.

drbonnieblossman Thu 01-Jan-15 16:36:47

Jim, not kim !

Hatespiders Thu 01-Jan-15 16:36:51

I did like the scene where Denise is in labour and is sitting on the floor in the bathroom with her dad Jim. He asks her. "Are you sure it isn't just a great big poo?" They seemed to have a lovely bond. But I wouldn't say he was a good dh! However, if it had been in the fifties, all families were a bit like that.

Sooty, it isn't nice to say the thread is 'twattish'. It's a perfectly reasonable talking point.

ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 16:37:59

I think so Sparkling. The episode where Nana died, that showed a loving, united family.

The way the neighbours and Twiggy pop in and out. It's a warm house.

Sparklingbrook Thu 01-Jan-15 16:38:40

I am not sure whether Queen Liz et al love each other though shall we talk about that instead?

Hatespiders Thu 01-Jan-15 16:39:03

X post Bonnie!

SurlyCue Thu 01-Jan-15 16:39:04

I never got the royale family. Its just not funny.

ilovesooty Thu 01-Jan-15 16:39:12

Ok maybe that wasn't very nice. I apologise. I just couldn't believe it was serious and lighthearted seemed like a bit of a cop out. I shouldn't have said what I said though.

AllThePrettySeahorses Thu 01-Jan-15 16:39:26

I think they're a close, loving family. It's well hidden behind the name calling, and squabbling but there are so many moments in the series: Denise's wedding and labour, Barbara being given her new ring, protectiveness of Anthony when he plans to go to London, or Barbara and Jim dancing together.

Disclaimer - I have not seen and will NEVER EVER watch The Queen Of Sheba. I've seen clips and they're sad enough sad.

usualsuspect333 Thu 01-Jan-15 16:41:28

I love the Royal Family. I do think their love for each other comes across.

ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 16:44:21

No sooty when I added the lighthearted bit it was because the responses I'd hadwere all po faced.

I should have added the hmm face so you'd understand what I meant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now