Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to cancel Sky after just signing up to it?

(23 Posts)
SnowBells Thu 01-Jan-15 14:15:50

Not sure WHERE to post this.

We moved homes and signed up to a Sky package rather than BT. The TV is now installed. Broadband and phone still awaiting. However, I am now having second thoughts about cancelling Sky within the 30 days or so after activation and going with BT instead. We don't really watch sport. Both of us work, so we really just watch TV on weekends.

It turns out that we could get BT Infinity. Broadband/Internet is more our thing as it would make working from home every now and then more possible. Sky gives us a speed of up to 18mb, BT could give us speeds of up to 300mb if we liked.

But above all, we'd like to get rid of the ugly satellite dish that came with our new build at some point. Most of the houses where people moved in a year ago have already gotten rid of theirs, it seems.

Plus, I'm also royally p*ssed off about Sky customer service not activating broadband/phone line when they said they would and the engineer (who was meant to sort it out) not showing up when DH took time off work. They kept up the lie until the day came and went (called them 3 x that day) only telling us at 8pm that actually, their systems updated the night before saying the engineer would not come, and they had no idea when our broadband/phone could be installed.

But DH feels really bad about having had the TV engineers come over to set us all up, and us then cancelling. The way I see it, it's more like a refund for an item bought but not liked.

Am I being unreasonable?

And if we did cancel, how would we send the Sky box back???

southeastastra Thu 01-Jan-15 14:19:33

we cancelled too after they cancelled installation of broad band twice then said they couldn't do it. they also tried to hijack the ntl line. was just a fiasco

the came and took the box but left the dish in case i suppose. doesn't really bother me.

x2boys Thu 01-Jan-15 14:21:30

I have had sky for years its crap they show repeats all the the time our broad bands slow and a phone bill is extortionate we are going to cancel too I don't watch loads of TV but we are going to get one of those smart box things and go with BT for phone and broadband and yanbu !

LIZS Thu 01-Jan-15 14:23:25

Don't be lulled into thinking bt will be any more efficient in activating on time or dealing with issues.

AmantesSuntAmentes Thu 01-Jan-15 14:24:58

Just cancel! I abhore sky (but I do have a 'nowtv' box). Be warned though - it took BT around six months to manage to activate their service after I moved in!

beginnerrunner Thu 01-Jan-15 14:25:26

BT was the worst customer service I've ever received I.e. 2 days taken off work so they could install phone line and they didn't come both times. Third time it turns out they didn't need to come out at all. I wouldnt go back to them if they paid me.

AmantesSuntAmentes Thu 01-Jan-15 14:25:37

(...and I'd still rather be with BT than sky!)

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 01-Jan-15 14:26:27

Sky broadband is shit. We had to change to Virgin as sky was so slow. I'd happily get rid of sky TV but DH wants to keep it, we only have a basic package though.

Clairej81 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:26:28

We got sky when we moved into our house last year including a telephone line and have been plagued with nuisance calls. Going to cancel contract once it's up for renewal in August.

MrsTawdry Thu 01-Jan-15 14:26:52

BT have been in oodles of bother for their slow response rates and for charging to repair things when they go wrong. I have had SKY for years and love it. We have a basic package and the phone deal is great...plus our internet speed is excellent.

Sparklingbrook Thu 01-Jan-15 14:37:40

I have never had a problem with Sky. we have TV, phone and Broadband. Always been fine. Agree the dish is ugly but it's at the back and very high up.

ddubsgirl77 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:41:00

Ask sky engineers do they have sky or virgin? Everyone has virgin.
we were with sky had issues over a tree at old place we moved and they couldnt put a 2nd box in so went with virgin nearly had same problem over the 2nd box but we sorted that.
dobt be fooled by 'upto' speeds unless you luve nearly the box outside most dont get anywhere near the speeds any of the conpanys state!

Tinkerball Thu 01-Jan-15 14:42:09

I had the worst customer service I've ever had a few years ago off BT, I would never go back. It took 6 months to sort out and we received £500 in compensation eventually. Still have nightmares thinking about it. Good luck! Our Sky package is great and broadband speeds are fine. I dont agree Sky just show repeats all the time to.

TheFourthLobster Thu 01-Jan-15 14:42:33

We have terrible service from Sky, but we had the same from Talk Talk and from BT. Our phone line is faulty (outside the house) and none of them have come to fix it as promised. Our broadband speed is pathetically low as a result - we can't watch tv or youtube videos because it is so slow.

Charlieboo30 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:43:30

Never had Sky broadband (we are too rural apparently!) but did have BT when we first moved in. Never again. Problem after problem and their customer service is just non existent. Honestly, they would have to pay me to be with them!

YANBU re sky though - £50 a month here. I would cancel in a heartbeat but DP loves his sport!

SparklyTwinkleGlitter Thu 01-Jan-15 14:43:34

We moved to the Irish Republic this year.

My sky service stopped working on xmas eve. Rang them Boxing Day afternoon (Friday) and hooked up to office based near Glasgow. Nice man came out 8.40am Tuesday morning and fixed it within minutes.

However, I've found all services unbelievably efficient and very pleasant to deal with over here. For instance, I rang the local broadband and telephone provider (independent company) for a quote and it was installed two hours later! When we needed our heating Oil tank filling, rang local guy and he was here 20 mins later.

We live in a fairly rural area (in a field) so no mains telephone etc.

Used to live near a main city in south of UK. I agree in the UK, you get used to/accept shite service(s) as normal. One year, we were waiting 2 weeks for a delivery of oil from a supplier based 20 mins away. Think they waited until they had enough orders from your area before delivering.

OP, cancel it. Don't accept poor service.

Sallyingforth Thu 01-Jan-15 14:45:16

In theory there need be no difference in the broadband speed provided by BT and Sky or others like TalkTalk. They all come down the same cable from the same telephone exchange, but some have separate equipment within the exchange. And of course they all offer slightly different contracts to confuse competition - just like gas and electricity.

The only really separate service is Virgin, but that isn't available everywhere. Their top broadband rate is easily the fastest of all, if you are prepared to pay for it.

If you want more TV channels than Freeview, and don't have Virgin, you can use the satellite dish for Freesat. That gives you tons more repeated programmes and shopping crap channels for free.

Be warned that if you decide to cancel Sky they will make it very difficult for you and try very hard to string you along.

Mammanat222 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:48:20

I actually have no complaints at all about Sky. Had them for 5 years and never had any issue with the Broadband (had only very sporadic issue with the actual TV - only in a terrible storm once!). Had no problem with installation / bills etc.

Couldn't have Sky at new place due to it being a listed building so we went for Virgin.

My God I fucking hate Virgin. Still waiting now for the phone line to be installed (was meant to happen in early Nov)

SnowBells Thu 01-Jan-15 14:52:03

We've had Virgin years ago when we lived in London. Never had a problem. Unfortunately it's not available in this part of the SE.

SunshineDaisiesButterMellow Thu 01-Jan-15 14:54:15

We cancelled sky last month as only 5 year old dd was using it for Disney and tiny pop. No complaints as the broadband was excellent. But it was costing us about £60 a month.

We are with BT now, its half the price and so far I've not had any problems, they activated everything on the day. I'm pleased and the £30 I'll be saving will be a big bonus.

Have to say look at top cash back or quidco when swapping I got £250 cash back and £100 sainsburys voucher .

Sparklingbrook Thu 01-Jan-15 14:54:52

We aren't in a Virgin Media area apparently. (South Mids)

Peedie Thu 01-Jan-15 15:00:32

We switched to Sky broadband from BT infinity for a cheaper deal and I am counting the days til my contract ends (we're 1/3 of the way through). It's like we've gone from fibre back to normal broadband, except we're still paying for fibre.

If you can get out of it, I'd say do so now! I wish I could :-(

WheresWallyNow Thu 01-Jan-15 15:19:14

re the engineer not showing up- all the big communication providers apart from Virgin use Openreach/Bt engineers. It's part of the agreement the providers have for using the Openreach network.
So whilst you might be a Sky customer, everything apart from the router is maintained by Openreach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now