Talk

Advanced search

Asking for help on correct gift etiquette for rich relatives.

(10 Posts)
raltheraffe Thu 01-Jan-15 13:57:42

I have a lovely auntie and uncle who are millionaires.
Every year they give us a cheque for £100 at Christmas.
One year I bought them a gift back for about £100 and got a nice telling off from them as they said we should keep our money and not feel obliged to return the gift.
I always write a thank you card but am thinking of getting them a cheap thank you gift. Like a plant or something for about £20
What is the correct etiquette in this situation?

Earlybird Thu 01-Jan-15 14:00:53

Can you bake them something yummy? That way, you are making a lovely gesture, and it will mean much more than a plant (or anything else) because you put time, effort and thought into it.

cricketpitch Thu 01-Jan-15 14:01:58

I would think something that shows your time and thought rather than money spent. Maybe something you could do for them or somewhere you could invite them? Easier said than done I know.

Corygal Thu 01-Jan-15 14:04:11

Don't spend any money, make them something. Cash means nowt to them - but a handmade or home made gift will hit the spot.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 01-Jan-15 14:04:11

If this is an annual thing, I wouldn't get them a thank you gift, you're better off getting them a Christmas gift instead I think. I second the baked goods idea. My sister gave us biscuits one year in a cheap jar nicely decorated with ribbon, I was really pleased with them.

Flossyfloof Thu 01-Jan-15 14:04:19

If You can find the time definitely something hand made. I made lemon curd last week if was easy, quite quick and, well, let's say it's all gone and only one jar went as a gift!

Flossyfloof Thu 01-Jan-15 14:04:49

Yes and not as a thank you as a celebration gift.

raltheraffe Thu 01-Jan-15 14:10:22

I think baking is the way to go, especially as I can involve ds who loves making cakes and most of the £100 was spent on toys for him.

fredfredgeorgejnr Thu 01-Jan-15 14:11:06

"got a nice telling off from them as they said we should keep our money and not feel obliged to return the gift."

They have told you not to get a gift, buying a gift is therefore RUDE, don't do it, just thank them, as suggested making something you can do well (or the kids if they're young enough for it to be cute) and giving them that would be good, but it's not required, they've explained that, respect them.

I am always amazed by the number of people who think it's acceptable to ignore polite requests not to give a gift.

JennyBlueWren Thu 01-Jan-15 14:16:32

I can understand why they wouldn't want you spending the same as they'd given you. I would agree with the suggestion of homebaking or maybe a local/unique product depending on their interests. I sometimes get presents for "people who have/could buy everything" from local craft fairs. Did a box of "local Scottish treats" for my parents as they don't need more stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now