Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that my toddler says the name of everything he see's EXCEPT for "mummy"??

(34 Posts)
Gingerbreadpixie Thu 01-Jan-15 13:28:29

Lighthearted but... DH gets a doe-eyed, excited "DADDY, DADDY" whenever he walks into a room. Cars, cats, flowers etc get pointed at and named. Even "door" gets more attention than boring old mummy!!

What do I have to do to get a "mummy" out of him??

Gingerbreadpixie Thu 01-Jan-15 13:29:04

*sees. Rogue apostrophe!

Frusso Thu 01-Jan-15 13:31:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blackout234 Thu 01-Jan-15 13:32:18

YANBU.
Reminds me of my nephew. my sister spend weeks going "say mama, say mama come on say mama" until one day she was saying "say mama" and nephew said "daaaddy"
Little traitors grin

Toastiefeet Thu 01-Jan-15 13:46:05

My youngest took ages to say Mummy, he got Da da that he used to excitedly squawk every time his Dad came In a room but not Mummy for so long. I feel your pain.

Gingerbreadpixie Thu 01-Jan-15 13:46:11

He even shuts the door on me when I drop him at his childminder and runs off to play with the toys! (he loves doors at the moment) Literally everything is more interesting than me!

DH says he doesn't name me because I'm an intrinsic part of his life. Which is very lovely, however I long for the day he runs up to me saying MUMMY! Guess I'll just have to wait it out :D

Gingerbreadpixie Thu 01-Jan-15 13:48:54

Lol Blackout. Yes, traitors!!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 01-Jan-15 13:58:05

DS didn't call me Mummy until well after 2yo either.

Now he calls me "Muvver" (Essex accent, 15yo) grin

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 01-Jan-15 13:59:54

Fuck off on holiday for a fortnight, that'll teach him to miss you.

(It is frustrating, YANBU).

Gingerbreadpixie Thu 01-Jan-15 14:09:16

I'd definitely be happy with "muvver" right now :D

I think I'll get booking that holiday...

BastardGoDarkly Thu 01-Jan-15 14:12:16

My first took aaaaages, don't think he knew what to call me.

Dd was much sooner sometimes wish she'd never learnt

SharonBu Thu 01-Jan-15 14:47:59

I remember that stage, so annoying! My HV said that M is harder to learn than D so most kids say Mummy later than Daddy. It made me feel better until DS learned to say 'more' . Little sod!

fellathebunny Thu 01-Jan-15 14:50:06

My eldest used to burst out laughing when family tried to get her to say mummy, would say daddy, OMA and opa. Got really frustrating but I guess its because you are the constant person there they don't need to learn it.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 01-Jan-15 14:55:53

I feel your pain, but from the other side.

"Mummy!" "No darling, Daddy. I'm the one with the beard". "Yes, beard Mummy. Nice face. Other face nice too."

At 18, she has graduated to Mummy, I mean Daddy". Sigh.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Thu 01-Jan-15 15:10:48

mine didn't say mummy till she was 2, she's 3 next week and now enjoys calling me by my first name hmm

Bellwether Thu 01-Jan-15 16:22:01

As has been said, he doesn't need to name you. For quite a long time, they don't even think they're a separate being from you. It's why some kids will talk about their days in nursery/kindergarten as if you were there, that you must see through their eyes or something.

It never occurred to me to be annoyed at it.

sarkyone Thu 01-Jan-15 18:37:38

my son called me mmmmmmmmmm which doubled as milk for 3 years!

CundtBake Thu 01-Jan-15 18:55:44

DS took AGES to call me mummy. He was pretty much talking in sentences before we finally got there.

However I now have days every day where I'm sick to death of the sound of the bloody word grin

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Thu 01-Jan-15 19:05:01

same here i am daddy and daddy is daddy.

LaLyra Thu 01-Jan-15 19:05:32

My eldest didn't call me Mummy/Mama until she was 2. It bothered me a little, but I left it be until she picked up my first name and then it took a cringe-worthy few weeks of being called Mummy by everyone before she took to it.

DoJo Thu 01-Jan-15 19:55:32

Mine was the same - his first word was 'dog' and we didn't have a dog so I had to take him out to places to get him to say anything! Then he started saying 'Dada' but that's not what he calls his dad, so it was ages before either of us got a name. However, now I have the dubious honour of being 'favourite parent' which means I am first to be called when he needs a wee, wakes up at an unholy hour in the morning or wants someone to wipe his nose on - you will get 'mummy' fatigue eventually, I promise...grin

purplewoofer Thu 01-Jan-15 20:26:47

I have that too. Ds is 20 months and does not say much. Only dada, cat, hot and duck. I am sure I will one day be sick of hearing mummy......

CustardOmlet Thu 01-Jan-15 20:38:43

DS has just in the last few days started saying Mum and won't stop! DH started by teaching him Bum first hmm

Szeli Thu 01-Jan-15 21:09:56

I wish I could hear any word barr 'mummy' (or mum, mam, mama, ma, mumum etc) atm, its incessantness had me in tears today sad your dc is just playing with your mind

redexpat Thu 01-Jan-15 22:12:26

DS is 3.2 and called me mummy for the first time today! smile He has been calling me love for a couple of months though grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: