Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours' noisy workmen today NY Day

(20 Posts)
WenReay Thu 01-Jan-15 10:31:21

It's a Bank Hol. Next door's workmen are using a very noisy machine in their garden beside the wall of our house, that is vibrating our whole kitchen.

Are we within our rights to complain or will we just have to put up with it?

Think the neighbours are away themselves but in any case, are 'problem neighbours' when around and we try to keep away from them.

FayKorgasm Thu 01-Jan-15 10:38:55

I don't think a complaint is warrented as its half rten not 6am.

ForalltheSaints Thu 01-Jan-15 11:43:18

The only workmen probably at work today. A novelty if you ask me. And it is half past ten not seven am

TheReluctantCountess Thu 01-Jan-15 11:44:56

Contact your council's noise nuisance team. I don't think workmen should be working today. They'll send someone around.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 01-Jan-15 11:46:06

That is a bastarding thing to do.
Not sure you can do anything about it.

My horrid lovely neighbours had reguarly work on Sundays and Bank Holidays and council didn't give a flying rat's arse.

MassaAttack Thu 01-Jan-15 11:56:16

I'm sure we had a thread about this last year. Everyone said the op was unreasonable confused

YANBU op. The world has a hangover, and even if they don't, they deserve some peace and quiet. I fucking hate DIY noise.

KnackeredMerrily Thu 01-Jan-15 11:58:57

Yabu.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 01-Jan-15 12:01:06

I think you just have to put up with it. They have to do it sometime and if not today would it make any difference if they do it on Saturday for instance?

I sympathise, my ndn is slowly dIYing his bathroom and always seems to have his day off work in synch with mine so every day off and every weekend for weeks I've had banging and drilling.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 01-Jan-15 12:01:58

I do agree it's thoughtless btw, I just don't think you can actually do anything.

TheChandler Thu 01-Jan-15 12:04:58

I really don't think you can enforce bank holidays on people. Different if a time when the majority of people are likely to be sleeping, but many people don't get bank holidays. Added to that, for some people who do DIY, holidays may be the only chance they get, so how you would enforce a bank holiday rule on everyone I don't know. Sometimes annoying noises happen, but unless it goes on for a long time, I don't really see any grounds for complaint.

BackOnlyBriefly Thu 01-Jan-15 12:08:17

It feels a bit inconsiderate, but maybe they had to take the day the workman offered.

There isn't anything you can do really, but if it goes on for weeks or is very early or late at night you can ask them to time it better. Then you can complain if they don't make reasonable adjustments.

Hopefully the noisy part will end soon.

WenReay Thu 01-Jan-15 12:18:27

Sounds like there isn't enough reason to complain then. I thought Bank Hols were days you couldn't have noisy works going on but maybe that's not the case.

Last night, understandably, there were local fireworks going off around midnight onwards and revellers that kept DCs awake till v late. Had hoped it might be a quiet day locally, at least during the morning, as everyone would have been up late.

I just never imagined that NDNs would decide to get their workmen in today - obviously whilst they're away themselves - so undisturbed and probably sleeping in themselves - to do more works - works that have gone on for several weeks now and are right next to the main room we use as a family.

If the workmen put their ghetto blaster on too, I might go round and see if they'll listen to reason. They had their music on in the garden, next to our house, all day long in the weeks leading up to Xmas and we had to shout to each other in our house to be heard over it.

Really wary of doing anything, as we've had so many problems with the NDNs themselves and only recently, these v workmen smashed part of our fence down with their van and then claimed it was broken/rotted anyway, when it clearly wasn't. They did then nail the bits back on but the NDNs weren't at all apologetic.

The workmen may be friends of the NDNs too. I'm a single mum and NDNs - couple with DCs - have been v intimidating to all of us in the past. Police have told us to have nothing to do with them and just keep away.

Sad though, as DCs were looking forward to a special family meal today but we're going to have to put up with machinery noise right throughout meal prep. and eating. To top it all, our TV has broken down overnight - not sure why - so DCs aren't v happy today at all. It can only get better!

Saltysnack Thu 01-Jan-15 12:42:58

That's horrible, sympathies to you and I hope they knock off soon

FatherReboolaConundrum Thu 01-Jan-15 12:49:07

Is it work for which they needed planning permission? It's standard, where I live, for approval of applications to specify that no work can be carried out on Bank Holidays. I'd guess this is true for most/all councils in the UK.

HittingABrickWall Thu 01-Jan-15 13:04:39

The approval for the planning permission for our extension states that no work can be carried out on Sundays or bank holidays.

Not sure what the penalties would be if it was.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 01-Jan-15 14:31:15

Our Council has hours to which contractors are meant to adhere: off the top of my head, they are 8am - 6pm Mon-Fri; 8am -12pm Sat and nothing Sundays or Bank Holidays. Council's vary IME as to how they enforce it, but an investigation of their website would help you and you might be able to make a complaint online.

WenReay Thu 01-Jan-15 14:31:17

No planning needed as it's garden works - hard-landscaping/patio etc. It went quiet for a bit and I hoped they'd gone but right at the start of our family meal, the loud machinery began again - think they're cutting huge paving slabs and the screeching noise of sawed stone slabs is really affecting DC with ASD.

Hoping they'll knock off around 4.00pm when it gets dark. Meanwhile, will try to distract DCs but without the TV, this'll be difficult.

greenfolder Thu 01-Jan-15 14:36:02

id be really pissed off indeed. We needed a tree taking down in our garden between xmas and new year a few years ago. tree man was vair amused at me consulting all the neighbours about best time/day to do it to cause minimal impact. But we have small gardens and it was very noisy.

could well be that if ndn are not there, they do not know about it happening today.

glammanana Thu 01-Jan-15 14:40:32

You should go and complain the work they are doing should not affect you or your family living in any way and the vibrating into your kitchen is a definate no-no,I worked for a builders my whole working life and the only works that are allowed to be done on bank holidays are the likes of Plastering/painting/plumbing etc all works that cause no noise can be done anything noisy is not allowed,so go and speak to them and get some peace.

BackOnlyBriefly Thu 01-Jan-15 17:18:10

You should go and complain the work they are doing should not affect you or your family living in any way

There's no such law as it's not actually possible. It affects people if you hum while in your garden. I'm sure there will be regulations/guidelines about affecting people in a significant and unreasonable way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now