Talk

Advanced search

To ask NOT to be weighed

(49 Posts)
haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:03:00

So I am back on the diet bandwagon. I lost a stone before Christmas.

I know I've gained a not insignificant amount (living in leggings and so on!) I can feel it a bit round my thighs and bum even.

So I am wondering wibu to ask if I can forgo being weighed this week ... (The diet I do is a VLCD one - I can probably shift 5-8 pounds in a week.) I just think the numbers on the scales would get me upset and panicky.

IAmAllImportant Thu 01-Jan-15 10:04:42

You can ask to not be told your weight but it would be better to get weighed!

SacredHeart Thu 01-Jan-15 10:06:24

As an ex slimming world member my feeling is that avoiding weigh-in is avoiding the consequences of your actions. If you planned and made an active decision to enjoy Christmas and not worry about the weight gain then get weighed and don't worry about the weight gain.

One missed weigh in won't kill you but avoidance is the first step in denial which leads to relapse.

MrsHathaway Thu 01-Jan-15 10:06:28

Weighed by whom?

elliegoulding Thu 01-Jan-15 10:06:32

Not to be weighed? where? if you mean at a Slimming club just tell them you don't want to know and not out it on your card (they have their own record)

I was 'forced' onto the scales at my last smear (which always has me right on 'the edge') being weighed against my will just tipped it for me sad

ivykaty44 Thu 01-Jan-15 10:10:16

Ellie - you should never ever be forced onto scales at any type of medical, it is out of order and not acceptable by whoever did this. You have every right to say no and if you are ever in that position again say

No and I will report you if you continue to try to force me

Hth

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:12:36

Ellie that's awful sad I'd hate that!

It isn't a slimming club but personal one to one type weigh in, chat and products. So I can collect the products ... I think I'd just really rather have a week for the dust fat to settle dissolve before seeing it in black and white!

Hatespiders Thu 01-Jan-15 10:15:05

Do you feel that 8lbs a week weight loss is ok? It seems a bit too much too quickly to me. I'd rather a diet took off about 2-3lbs per week over a longer period.
In a medical situation, the weight of the patient is sometimes important to know. But perhaps one could ask not to be told.

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:19:38

It's only usually in the first week (which this effectively is) that it's that fast, usually works out at 3-4lbs a week after that.

I agree you sometimes to need to know for medical reasons - but not before a smear, surely? grin

MooMaid Thu 01-Jan-15 10:23:24

I think you should get weighed but ask not to be told. Then next week when (whoever) says you've lost Xlbs think of how good you'll feel!!

I used to do this as I worried about the numbers but I didn't want to totally miss the weigh in, so I just didn't find out. It's a great feeling when you know that actually you've lost 3/4/5 etc lbs, it takes the edge off the original gain!

JennyBlueWren Thu 01-Jan-15 10:26:13

Ask if they can keep a secret note of your weight and then they can tell you what it was when you've lost some. I expect they need your weight when working out what products to give you as they shouldn't give if you're a lower weight or something.
Also it would be quite upsetting to go to a future weigh in feeling you've lost weight and find the weight you are then is higher than you thought.

editthis Thu 01-Jan-15 10:29:11

I understand, but maybe it'll give you more resolve? And think how triumphant you'll feel when you see how far you've come - even by next week. If it takes you a few weeks to get down to where you think you ought to be now, it'll feel like the hard work was wasted, won't it, unless you know it's working? Though I suppose you'll be able to tell from the fit of your clothes. Only you know how it will mess with your head one way or the other. Good luck OP.

CalleighDoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 10:37:42

Anyone avoiding being weighed is avoiding a problem.

Get weighed and enjoy next week's numbers! Ive put weight on over xmas because ive eaten much more, done no exercise (dont have childcare at all), and have had two weeks off work, so not running around as much. Ive gone up a dress size but i knew that would happen and my dress for NYE was a size bigger than my normal size ��. I know i will be back to normal in a couple of weeks.
(It isnt CWL plan is it btw)

elliegoulding Thu 01-Jan-15 10:42:45

Apparently it (the recording of weight at the 3yrly smear) was a government initiative!!!

Haphazard I think you should bite the bullet and be weighed, if you weigh 10/15/20 stone .... you still weigh 10/15/20 stone whether you know about it or not ;) It's exactly the sort of thing I would do though

I'm either on a diet or rapidly gaining weight - no inbetween! so I feel your pain. back to SW for me next week!

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:43:52

I would hate someone else to know my weight not me! grin

No it doesn't really work that way re products so that doesn't matter. I know it's daft to be upset by numbers but I will be.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 01-Jan-15 10:47:11

I think you should get weighed and face it tbh - I don't mean to sound unkind, I've been v overweight and dieted over Christmas when losing and it isn't exactly thrilling to know that a few pringles and sausage rolls add up to X pounds - but it's that denial that gets a person overweight in the first place.

Don't feel bad about whatever the gain is - you are dealing with it. And, as is often the case, it's probably not as bad as you think.

You will enjoy the next loss all the more knowing where you actually started from.

Fanfeckintastic Thu 01-Jan-15 10:52:38

I started a similar diet this morning and am absolutely appalled by the results on the scales BUT it did give me a massive kick up the arse and strengthened my resolve!

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:54:41

Ooh good luck Fen - are you on a diet thread on here? If not let's start one; could do with moral support!

CalleighDoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 10:55:45

Maybe if everyone had to be weighed every 12 months and actually look at the numbers, nobody would ever get to the point they feel it is impossible to do something about it. Maybe thats the point of the smear weigh in.

3WiseMenOr1WiseWoman Thu 01-Jan-15 10:57:26

Are you doing LL Hap?

Just hand over the green book and ask your counsellor to keep it for this week. Stay on plan and if you still don't feel like looking next week, just ask if it's down.

Are you loosing or maintaining? Doesn't matter which - it's just a very small bit of your year/lifetime. Everyone fluctuates this time of year, the difference being you're being proactive (no procrastinating) about getting rid of those Christmas lbs.

Try not to worry - you enjoyed yourself (as you should) and now a bit of restraint will sort it out.

Weight, unlike a puppy is just for Christmas :-)

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:58:47

I'm not sure calleigh - I had a friend who was hugely, dangerously really, big - about 28 stone. She seemed perfectly happy. She was married to a feeder though.

Anyway what it comes down to is we have the right to decide what happens to our bodies, including whether we stand on scales or not. I do find it interesting that much of the language related to fatness is childlike and it does seem fatties are comparable with naughty children.

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 10:59:51

3WiseMen - Cambridge smile so very similar!

I like the weight is for Christmas line! I was 10'9 but am sure I've gone into the 11s and I just don't want to see it! shockgrin

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 11:15:04

Well I got pretty much forced on which I'm not pleased with to be honest hmm!

Discopanda Thu 01-Jan-15 11:19:38

I'm a big believer in measuring tape over scales. Unless you get very accurate body fat scales, scales won't tell you muscle weight, water weight, boob weight (it adds up!), etc. Also, if you up your exercise as well as dieting you will gain muscle mass which is denser than fat. Maybe let them weigh you if it is necessary for your health but take weekly measurements of your waist, hips and thighs as well.

haphazardbystarlight Thu 01-Jan-15 11:26:57

I don't really like exercise and have never found it makes any difference to weight loss although it does help me maintain a healthy weight.

I don't know really about measurements as I know that 9'10 is a healthy weight for me but don't know how that looks on a measuring tape if you see what I mean! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now