Talk

Advanced search

To get my belly button pierced?

(52 Posts)
Flossyfloof Thu 01-Jan-15 00:26:31

I really want to. Have you got yours done? Do you like it? I have got as far as looking at local studios on the net.
Will I look like a twat though? I am 54 and my tummy is on the rounded side rather than washboard.

ThePinkOcelot Thu 01-Jan-15 00:29:06

Go for it!! I'm 47 and have mine done, though have had it done for years. I like it.

MildDrPepperAddiction Thu 01-Jan-15 00:30:15

Don't do it. I got mine done at 17 and thought it was great. I never wear a ring/bar in it now and really wish I hadn't done it at all.

adora1985 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:40:12

Had mine done at 14, still have it in 15 years later. Always have a bar in, just mind that they sometimes catch on jeans though if you do have it done.

oldsilver Thu 01-Jan-15 00:42:47

Had my done at 35 - was meant to go and suss the studio, ended up having it done there and then. I love mine. I didn't even need to take it out when I was pregnant. There were no ill effects. It's my secret thing - it's not like anyone bar DP ever sees it.

SaucyJack Thu 01-Jan-15 00:53:04

Do it if you want to. It's not a big deal.

I have top and bottom done and I'm no longer the sylph I was in my fantasies youth.

teadog Thu 01-Jan-15 01:01:44

If it's what you want to do then go for it. Had mine done for years, through a pregnancy too where everything stretched and expanded! Just be aware - I love it when a bar is in but it doesn't look great when there isn't one in there as you can see the piercing quite clearly. I keep the bar in all the time though so it's fine for me. I like buying different designs of bars.

MrsTawdry Thu 01-Jan-15 01:06:30

I wouldn't. I've seen too many get infected and I'm not being rude but when there's a fold, there is more risk of this.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Thu 01-Jan-15 01:09:31

Go for it.

I have many piercing and I have got them for me. If you don't like it you can always take it out.

Btw my favourite is my nipple ring.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Thu 01-Jan-15 01:09:56

I loved mine had to take it out when pregnant though as belly got too big even for the pregnancy ones.... dd was huge though!! would love to have it redone.

chipsandpeas Thu 01-Jan-15 01:10:33

go for it, ive always said id get my belly button done once i had a flat enough stomach for it (still waiting 3 stone to go)

Flossyfloof Thu 01-Jan-15 06:49:25

Thanks. I wouldalways have a ring in any way, but I actually fancy a dangly thing I don't have food, just a bit more tummy than I would like! I suppose it folds when I am sitting down though.
If you have had yours done how long did it take to heal? I didn't know they did pregnancy bars , I am well past that age though!

Flossyfloof Thu 01-Jan-15 06:51:30

Pick wouldn't have a nip nip ring, it would catch on my belly button ring. For ears only wear silver or gold. I am presuming you can get silver? Off to find out...

Leela5 Thu 01-Jan-15 06:53:09

Mine didn't heal for ages til I went on holiday and swam in the sea, then it healed quickly. It was quite gross until then.

I took mine out 10 years ago now and still have a hole where it was. It's noticeable if you look for it but it doesn't bother me

WeirdCatLady Thu 01-Jan-15 08:06:27

Had mine done when I was 25. I had a bar not a ring. It did get infected but I put plasters underneath either side of the ball to stop it disappearing into me (sorry if tmi). It was pretty gross for a few weeks but after that it was fun. When I was oreggers I had to take it out but put it back in nice a week to keep the hole open. All fine after that.

Go for it smile

I always wants my nose and eyebrow done but think it would look weird on a 40-something middle aged mum

WeirdCatLady Thu 01-Jan-15 08:08:42

Oh and I'm huge! I never show it off as I never show my enormous belly - I had it done just for me smile

Panzee Thu 01-Jan-15 08:14:55

I've just calculated that I had mine done 21 years ago shock. Lasted about three months then I got bored and took it out. I didn't realise people still had it done! But I suppose that's because I don't look at other people's navels much. grin

DotMcStuffins Thu 01-Jan-15 08:29:54

You should only use surgical steel, really, but yes, go for it!

lostblonde86 Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:30

Go for it! I had mine dine about 8 months ago (I'm 28) always wanted it done and I love it!
only thing u would say is that it's taking a long time to heal, more than my other body piercing did. But as others have said it's a place that moves a lot.

good luck, you'll love itsmile

DropYourSword Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:33

Go for it! You can always remove it if you don't like it. It does take quite a while to heal properly, so be aware of that. I'd also recommend you get a ring initially as you can keep it clean easier, then change to a bar when it's healed.

My mum had her nose pierced in her fifties! She's not usually the type for piercings but loved it, and I was proud of her!

IveBeenADick Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:39

I would say titanium rather than stainless steel & obviously go to a reputable piercer that won't fob you off with cheap jewellery! Be warned though - they take a LONG time to heal, much longer than other piercings, anything up to a year is normal. Won't be sore for a year, just kind of leaky (nice!). This is what makes people think they're infected - when it's a proper infection you know all about it! But then once it's healed properly there are loads of really pretty studs & rings about.
Good luck if you go for it!

Marylou62 Thu 01-Jan-15 09:00:15

I had mine done at 38 and as PP said its my secret! On the beach quite often and I am always surprizing someone! I am now early 50s and still love it....for my 40th I had all my scrap gold and a huge stone (a 2 carat cubic zircona that my DH got on his travels in Pakistan) made into a bar..yes it can occasionally get caught in clothing and get sore but I love it...makes me feel 'naughty'!
I let my DD have hers done at 14, but no other body piercings whilst in our house....the worst that can happen is being left with a hole....not like facial piercings which are a lot more obvious...go for it...

avocadotoast Thu 01-Jan-15 09:10:14

If you want to do it, go for it! My friend has a big ol' belly and she has hers pierced.

It will take a while to heal though, and as its a surface piercing could grow out depending on your skin. Do your research, don't get it done anywhere shit and you'll be fine smile

Flossyfloof Thu 01-Jan-15 11:17:26

Thanks am stil, researching. I have a couple of friends with tattoos and was going to ask where they had them done, presuming that if my mates go there they would be I. There are three places in town which do tattoos and piercings, am looking at their websites. I will ensure titanium or surgical steel for the piercing itself but am presuming it will be ok to change once it has healed?

VikingLady Thu 01-Jan-15 11:31:42

Yes, you can change it once it is healed, but always change it for surgical steel, titanium or good quality gold! Otherwise even years later you'll get an infection.

I planned to wait til I had a flat tummy but gave up waiting at 22 and had it done anyway. I loved it! Took it out at 32 when pregnant and never got round to putting it back in. I'm 35 now and pregnant again - just checked and I can still put my old bar in!

I only ever got my bar caught on very high waisted trousers/jeans and weirdly, in a hole in the middle of a button on some jeans! Not hard to avoid, really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now