Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding and having a drink?

(22 Posts)
jemima1988 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:21:32

I've had 3 glasses of wine tonight 1 with a meal then 2 more AIBU?

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Thu 01-Jan-15 00:22:49

Are you unreasonable to drink or to breastfeed? I'd say neither but probably don't have any more.

RedToothBrush Thu 01-Jan-15 00:32:46

Well, if you are bad, then you are in good company tonight!

Snowflake2014 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:35:32

Spaced out over the evening, I'd say that's fine.

A study done shows little alcohol passes into the milk with moderate alcohol consumption - a children's nurse told me that last week.

calmexterior Thu 01-Jan-15 00:36:38

Yanbu it's a one off

wine

Valpollicella Thu 01-Jan-15 00:36:54

You'll be fiiiiiine

Happy New Year grin

katandkits Thu 01-Jan-15 00:38:05

Its fine, the biggest risk is accidental co sleeping when drunk so dont bring your baby into bed for the night feeds.

Pointlessfan Thu 01-Jan-15 00:39:54

You'll be fine, only a tiny amount of alcohol passes into your milk. Make sure you don't fall asleep feeding your baby though!

thinkingaboutthis Thu 01-Jan-15 00:42:02

Yeah, it's fine. If you're too drunk to hold the baby you're too drunk to breastfeed.

Don't bring the baby into bed or fall asleep on a sofa together though.

SaucyJack Thu 01-Jan-15 00:49:54

I don't think it's the best choice you could've made.

But glass houses and stones. Yadda yadda yadda.

winewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewine

Allisgood1 Thu 01-Jan-15 00:52:17

I've had the same smilesmile

Theboodythatrocked Thu 01-Jan-15 00:54:29

You will both be fine and you might get a lie in! grin

homealone42 Thu 01-Jan-15 01:03:19

yanbu. It is fine. Very little passes to milk.

MissSingerbrains Thu 01-Jan-15 01:15:29

How old is the baby? How often do you feed? How big were the glasses? What period of time was the wine drunk in? It all depends, surely?

If you have a newborn who feeds every hour, and you downed 3 glasses in one go just before a feed, then YABU.

If you're not expecting to feed until a few hours from now, and spaced out the wine over a longer period of time, then YANBU.

AFAIK if you're ok to drive, you're ok to bf (that's the vague rule I stuck to anyway).

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Thu 01-Jan-15 01:16:35

I wouldn't but then again I have a low tolerance to alcohol and my main fear would be falling asleep.

ZingTheGreat Thu 01-Jan-15 01:16:37

once I had a glass of Pimms & bf DS2 shortly afterwards (he was only 6 weeks old and it was my birthday) and he puked up all the milk about half an hour later and I felt really guilty so I wouldn't drink 3 glasses while still bf.

but you've done it now and you had a good time and it's not like do that everyday, so don't worry about it now.

Happy New Year!smile wine

PotteringAlong Thu 01-Jan-15 01:22:24

I've has the same and am feeding whilst typing this. You're fine!

Ham69 Thu 01-Jan-15 01:29:01

Absolutely NU. I had a very good tip from a GP and breastfeeding councillor once who said that if you are lying in a gutter then you've had too much to breastfeed but if you still remember you have a baby then you'll be fine. I always stuck by that rule. Happy New Year!

SorchaN Thu 01-Jan-15 01:33:52

If you're always drunk when you breastfeed, that's a problem (in more ways than one). If you very occasionally have a few drinks and breastfeed, not much will happen.

softlysoftly Thu 01-Jan-15 01:42:09

Depends on baby age and how you feel. Pissed + cluster feeding newborn bad idea. 3 spaced glasses + 6mo you'll be fine.

Just don't co-sleep if you are feeling the effects.

I've had a glass in 1 hand whole feeding 6mo DD3 tonight blush figured if i was only just drinking it she was most in danger of me spilling it on her. Looked well classy though!

Pointlessfan Thu 01-Jan-15 10:07:26

Well I had a couple of drinks last night, none after 11 though. Fed DD at 3am and she slept in this morning - result!! grin

trilbydoll Thu 01-Jan-15 10:43:19

The only time I had a glass of wine when breastfeeding, the next day DD did such a massive explodapoo, DH was scooping it out of the carseat. I decided not to risk it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now