Talk

Advanced search

To think, love the fireworks but hate the music!

(15 Posts)
wineoclockthanks Thu 01-Jan-15 00:10:57

Happy New Year!

cardibach Thu 01-Jan-15 00:13:36

London? Some odd choices - starting with 'No Place Like London' from 'Sweeney Todd which goes on to say London is a great big hole filled with shit...
Some of the rest was pretty crap too. And the version of Auld Lang Syne is appalling!
As you say, lovely fireworks. Happy New Year.

Icimoi Thu 01-Jan-15 00:13:58

Happy New Year all.

Yanbu. This version of Auld Lang Syne is particularly horrible.

26Point2Miles Thu 01-Jan-15 00:16:42

There was a bit of ELO in there!

MrsTawdry Thu 01-Jan-15 00:17:10

Happy New Year all! My neighbours have had a very sedate evening...sitting outside and in...chatting quietly. Then at midnight it was like they'd all lost their reason! NUTS they went. grin Screaming, blowing horns and hooters! Mad I tell you!

singaporefling Thu 01-Jan-15 02:32:43

Happy New Year ! Couldn't agree more!! Didn't realise I was quite so 'traditional' meself! Fireworks spectacular - music dire!! Would have preferred William Tell Overture /Vivaldi /something - anything 'stirring' and rousing <boring old gimmer>

MrsCakesPrecognition Thu 01-Jan-15 02:40:17

Every time I thought I might recognise a bit of music, the track would jump and I was lost again.
I am getting too old. No idea who the presenters were or why they kept whooping "yeah, we've done it". Why was Brian May wearing Marie Antoinette's wig? Why was Santa drumming? Who thought bagpipes for We will Rock You.

A very confusing start to the NY. But hopefully a happy one for everyone.

I didn't really notice the music, I was too busy begging the director of the BBC footage to "just show me the ruddy fireworks!" Constant shots of Big Ben and the Eye cabins hmm New Year's Eve is not the time for artistic camerawork!

whatnow2 Thu 01-Jan-15 08:18:16

Why was Santa drumming? I was thinking exactly that grin. Well actually I was thinking, I used to fancy him but now he looks like Father Christmas sad.

YANBU OP, the music was jarring and didn't match the visuals. It wasn't even that it was trying too hard to be "cool" and seemed inappropriate, it was just odd confused. Found myself wishing they were playing "Jerusalem" instead which would not have been appropriate either confused.

Mia1415 Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:57

I completely agree. I thought the fireworks were amazing but the soundtrack this year was awful. Plus I wish they'd just keep the camera on the actual show. I'm not interested in seeing a crowd of people!

SoupDragon Thu 01-Jan-15 08:44:21

The way the music kept changing after 30 seconds was worse than the music choice itself. Truly crap.

LineRunner Thu 01-Jan-15 08:54:17

My 16 yr old son commented that the music was terrible. I hated it too.

LilMissSunshine9 Thu 01-Jan-15 09:53:51

I was there and saw them - it was a spectacular and in fact I don't think I even heard the music unless a tune came on that I recognised but I came home and then watched the BBC coverage just to see and omg it was crap does not even do the fireworks justice - on the coverage you see all the smoke but being there in person I hardly noticed it. But yes OP the music now hearing it properly was not that great.

wonkylegs Thu 01-Jan-15 10:12:40

The music was awful and there was an awful lot of fireworks but I think it wasn't actually that good a display. They went for quantity rather than a clever display. Bits of it were nice and then they just set of loads and overwhelmed it.

TheChandler Thu 01-Jan-15 10:15:18

I liked the music. I think they were trying very hard to show a modern image of London. I wonder what, if any, music was played in other major cities? But yes, I'm afraid I liked the music (I almost think elements of techno are similar to classical at times), and I loved the Queen set. Who was the singer? He is not as good as Freddie Mercury obviously but he was charismatic and did a good job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now