Talk

Advanced search

to leave my ebf baby to go to this class?

(21 Posts)
PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 31-Dec-14 22:39:44

Baby is 6 weeks and ebf, I don't want to introduce formula and I can't express (as in nothing will come out when I try) so she can't be bottle fed. The class (martial arts) is an hour long and a two minute drive away from home. I'd only go one evening per week. This isn't unreasonable of me is it? It's only an hour and I can feed her before I go.

HolyTerror Wed 31-Dec-14 22:41:51

Of course not, Pourquoi. You need something for yourself, especially at this highly-dependent stage. And martial arts are a great thing for women, anyway. Go and enjoy it.

maddening Wed 31-Dec-14 22:43:35

Totally fine but be aware there might be weeks when there are growth spurts and so possibly those times could be harder - next ones are 9 and 12 weeks - after 4mths it gets loads easier.

Rummikub Wed 31-Dec-14 22:43:46

Do it smile
I've done the same and it sometimes is stressful but you do need something for yourself.

Patilla Wed 31-Dec-14 22:44:08

Not at all unreasonable and you'll probably be a happier calmer and more content mum as a result.

Just hold your plans lightly so that if something goes awry you're prepared to drop that particular session without stress and do it another time. No point doing something if it becomes a burden to you.

But a great idea, good for you and good example to your child when they are old enough to notice.

I wish I had a class like that so close to home!

NobodyLivesHere Wed 31-Dec-14 22:44:39

Absolutely not U. You are v close should you be needed and the time out will do yougood . X

juule Wed 31-Dec-14 22:44:46

Not unreasonable at all. Feed before you go and as soon as you get back if she needs it (or if you need to). It's only an hour. Hour and half tops. It will be fine smile

joanne1947 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:45:06

Go and enjoy the martial arts.

puntasticusername Wed 31-Dec-14 22:49:49

You should definitely do this thing for yourself and buy yourself - more power to you! The only concern I'd have is about evening cluster feeding, which is very common especially in bf babies (at around this age, both of mine were attached to me pretty well full time every night between 7 and 10pm or so). Feeding and then leaving for an hour may not be enough. Having said that, by all means try it and see how it goes - it might be fine, and if you're two minutes away and you keep your phone switched on you could be home if needed in three shakes of a lamb's tail anyway.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 31-Dec-14 22:50:50

So I'm not being horribly neglectful? grin that's a relief! I've wanted to do this class for long time.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Wed 31-Dec-14 22:52:34

Yes the cluster feeding is worrying me. I'll have to play it by ear.

SillyBugger Wed 31-Dec-14 22:56:12

It's only an hour and 4 minutes! Just feed before you go, it'll be good for you.

PointlessResolutions Wed 31-Dec-14 23:09:13

Do it - I went for a two hour fencing class half an hour away (each way) from about that age. DH coped - obviously I didn't go when DD was in the middle of a growth spurt.

When competing we just all went together so I could feed between rounds. The only difficult bit was managing the sports bra - not designed for easy feeding...

SANTABankWadgerHAT Wed 31-Dec-14 23:16:17

Just make sure you wear breast pads. There is nothing worse than having a mid class leak through your top (especially if there are mirrors so the whole class can see) - bitter voice of experience.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 31-Dec-14 23:19:04

If your goat is registered with Ofsted there shouldn't be a problem, they are very good baby sitters you know.

puntasticusername Wed 31-Dec-14 23:19:12

Of course you're not being horribly neglectful. Assuming you're leaving your DD in the care of a competent adult, all is good! Go for it. <bit jealous actually>

Patilla Wed 31-Dec-14 23:50:02

Am I the only poster puzzling over how we've leapt to a goat babysitting?

Yanbu do it, sounds great.

SorchaN Thu 01-Jan-15 03:15:25

Patilla there's a plethora of goats tonight. Not sure where they've all come from, but they're in lots of threads...

OP - Just do it. You'll enjoy it and your baby will benefit from having a fulfilled mum.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 01-Jan-15 03:26:13

Is someone telling you that you shouldn't do this, or is it just a dose of maternal guilt?

Of course it's fine! The worst that will happen is she'll grizzle for a bit once a week, the world won't stop spinning.

QTPie Thu 01-Jan-15 04:08:17

At 7/8 weeks, I started leaving DS to go to the gym one night a week. I would feed at 6pm, dash to the gym (leaving DS with DH). DH would bathe and get DS ready for bed and I would be back for the 8pm bedtime feed. I did express, but we didn't use it then (never needed too). However, unlike other babies, DS was never a "cluster feeder".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now