Talk

Advanced search

To use my steam cleaner at 10pm on NYE

(36 Posts)
Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 22:26:55

On a street full of house parties and fireworks.

I'll give a backstory. There is a man who lives next door with his wife, they're in their 90s if that is relevant for what was acceptable back in the day?, we are terraced and the walls are thin, but we are very quiet neighbours, never any parties and usually upstairs by 8pm with DS in bed watching his iPad with his headphones and me sat outside his door on night watch (he has ASC as well as other disabilities)

Today is NYE and my turn with DS, me and his dad take it in turns to go out, DP is at work.

There are loads of house parties on the street, fireworks going off. Drunken arguments etc, the same as every year.

So I decide that because me and DS won't be able to sleep anyway, we will stay up eating takeaway pizza and see midnight in while watching rubbish kids films and I MN.

DS inevitably spills crumbs and juice everywhere, so I think instead of waiting till the morning (when I'm tired from no sleep) I'll sweep up and steam the floors now.

Suddenly there's a knock at the door, which I open on the chain at first because it's 10pm. It's the man next door.

Man: "you're hoovering"

Me: I'm not its a steam cleaner, why can you hear it?"

Man: "no I saw you through the window, it's not an appropriate time for that."

Me: it only makes the same amount of noise as an iron would... I've finished now anyway.

Man: well you shouldn't be cleaning at this time, it could disturb us (disclaimer, the house is usually silent after 7:30 while I pray that DS might close his eyes so there's never any cleaning noise)

Me: but... There's house parties everywhere...

Him: it's New Year's Eve. Cleaning after 9pm is antisocial.

Me: ok I won't do it again... Then I promptly shut the curtains.

Really? Is it really antisocial to steam the floors at 10pm when almost every other house on the street has music and fireworks blasting? Never mind the noise we can hear from the town centre?

JeffVaderRunsTheDeathStar Wed 31-Dec-14 22:29:02

He's bonkers and you should have told him to fuck off.

NatashaRomanov Wed 31-Dec-14 22:29:14

He was being a nosey, grumpy bugger.

rallytog1 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:30:23

That's the best thing I've heard all year. You've just improved my mediocre 2014. Steam away!

JeffVaderRunsTheDeathStar Wed 31-Dec-14 22:31:04

And while I'm at it who the fuck gave him the right to decree when the appropriate time to do anything was? Get the steam cleaner back out and tell him next time he comes round that it is none of his business.

Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 22:31:11

He has form... We had garden fence issues, when the wind blew two panels down and I bought two more but he wouldn't let me put them in, tried to get me to pay for a while new fence when it wasn't needed, harassed me every time I left the house for a year , then got his son round who took the panels out of my garden and put them in...

As long as I'm not being unreasonable for some unknown reason I will revert back to telling him to put any complaints in writing. Sigh

vinegarandbrownpaper Wed 31-Dec-14 22:31:22

well I have decided to live the high life with a fan heater in the cold bit of the kitchen.. Everytime it comes on it sounds like someone is drilling through the floor. hth..grin

GrannyGoggles Wed 31-Dec-14 22:32:08

Carry on

Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 22:33:14

Thanks! smile At least I know I'm not unintentionally commuting some social atrocity.

I also bleached the bath.

It's a fun life grin

CallMeExhausted Wed 31-Dec-14 22:33:27

'Tis only half five where I live - steam away grin

306235388 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:33:39

I would steam my whole house especially the windows as he walks past - every time.

ithoughtofitfirst Wed 31-Dec-14 22:34:15

Yeah crack on m'love.

SacredHeart Wed 31-Dec-14 22:34:32

YANBU - close your curtains on the nosy so-and-so. grin

Squeegle Wed 31-Dec-14 22:35:16

He sounds barking!!
Wuff wuff

Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 22:35:22

I would steam the windows but I can't get the window cleaning cloth with the drawstring to stay on the window steamer tool. sad First world problems

Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 22:37:04

I only left the curtains open so I could witness the drunken arguments from the comfort of my sofa. He's ruined NYE entertainment now!

If that's what he says about a steam cleaner, I wonder what he'd say to fireworks? I don't even really like the things buy a neighbour like that, who knocked on your door to tell you what time you can STEAM clean would start celebrating every national, international, political, anniversary, that I could lawfully get away with (in my head, I couldn't actually be arsed with this).

joanne1947 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:43:39

what a prat. It is up to you when you clean.
Best wishes for 2015 x

ghostspirit Wed 31-Dec-14 22:43:56

haha he did not hear you but saw you lol.... i had my washing machine going at 2am this morning :/

There are 6 people in my house we are noisy till about 7.30 when its school holidays its later than that.

I dont get any complaints but i would not be surprised if i did though.

Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 22:46:28

Well he's not complaining to the other neighbours about their very loud parties! Maybe because I'm a massive soft touch and the party neighbours are.... More forward speaking.

I really like the loud arguing neighbours, they are always friendly and nice to me. They often bring round a plate of meat from the BBQ when they're having a loud party to apologise (they don't know I'm vegetarian but the cats appreciate it grin)

Mrsgrumble Wed 31-Dec-14 22:48:24

He's a weirdo .. Totally

Enjoy the cleaning! I get you, you want to bring in the new year with a clean slate grin

EstRusMum Wed 31-Dec-14 22:50:43

Write a complaint to the police saying "My neighbour is watching me through the window". grin

sonjadog Wed 31-Dec-14 22:51:07

Is the steam cleaner good? I am considering getting one.

vinegarandbrownpaper Wed 31-Dec-14 22:51:27

Actually I think it was flirting it was an observant entrée!

vinegarandbrownpaper Wed 31-Dec-14 22:52:22

You were supposed to take off your glasses swish you hair and be taken out dancing till baltic freezing dawn..grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now