Talk

Advanced search

To wish my DH did care?

(26 Posts)
Elfina Wed 31-Dec-14 22:01:58

I've just realised that I'm 10kg heavier than I was before I had DD two years ago.

DH says he's surprised, and that he's not bothered. He's taller than me, and now, weighs less than me.

AIBU to wish that he would give a shit, or have even noticed? I failed to believe that he hasn't, and I suspect he's being 'nice'...

SackAndCrack Wed 31-Dec-14 22:03:41

My 'd'p always gave a shit.

My next one will be like yours as love me regardless. So YABU in that sense.

SackAndCrack Wed 31-Dec-14 22:04:12

Fwiw he probably does care. Way beyond weight. That's the thing.

WonkoTheSane42 Wed 31-Dec-14 22:04:22

You often don't notice weight changes in someone you see every day, as it happens gradually. Would you want him to be a dick about it? Maybe he is genuinely not shallow.

Sn00p4d Wed 31-Dec-14 22:05:37

You say you've 'just realised' so it obviously isn't noticeable or worth bothering about, even to you, carrier of the weight.
YABU.

ILovePud Wed 31-Dec-14 22:06:48

Surely that's better than him monitoring and commenting negatively on your weight gain. My DH's weight goes up and down in about a two stone range and honestly I never notice.

Tobyjugg Wed 31-Dec-14 22:26:31

Maybe he loves you and not your weight?

saturnvista Wed 31-Dec-14 22:40:13

Yes, you are. You're bloody lucky.

CallMeExhausted Wed 31-Dec-14 22:41:46

I have had a spinal cord injury since I met DH, he met me weighing 11 stone (on a 5'10" frame), thin and muscular. Now, I weigh significantly more than that - have no muscle tone below my level of injury, and DH hasn't commented. I KNOW I weigh more, don't need him pointing it out.

So, since he hasn't said "oi, you are getting fat!" the he is somewhat at fault for not pointing it out?

Your clothing didn't give you a hint?

Perhaps you should be happy he still cares for you and not your size?

Do you know how you would like him to have responded or brought this up, in an ideal hypothetical reality?

ToffeeCaramel Wed 31-Dec-14 22:56:19

If I'd had to think of the perfect response for a dp to have made in that situation it would have been pretty similar to the one he made tbh. What would you have preferred he said?

ShadowSuperNova Wed 31-Dec-14 23:00:33

If the weight's crept on over 2 years, it would be perfectly normal for him to not notice.

He'll see you every day, you'll only have put on a tiny amount each day, so he won't have noticed any difference day to day. IME big changes in weight are only easily and obviously spotted if it's in someone you only see rarely.

And as for giving a shit - surely it's better that he loves you for yourself rather than what the numbers on the scale say?

puntasticusername Wed 31-Dec-14 23:12:49

YABU. People who love you love YOU, not how your body happens to look at any particular point in time.

I was just looking back at a photo of my adored DH that I took earlier today, and suddenly realised that it showed him with a massive double chin. He hates his double chin, thinks it looks dreadful, is very embarrassed about it, is going to hate this particular photo.

I hadn't seen it at all until now. It's just a beautiful photo of my lovely DH holding our lovely DS.

SorchaN Thu 01-Jan-15 03:42:34

I'm pretty sure my partner has put on some weight in the last couple of years, but it's not something I think about much... Not because I don't care about him, but because my attraction to him isn't dependent on his physical size - I'm much more interested in other things! My own weight fluctuates according to how well I'm able to manage my disability, and I'd be really pissed off if he had anything to say about it!

slithytove Thu 01-Jan-15 03:53:38

What form might his "giving a shit" take?

Telling you you are fatter? Look better/worse? That he fancies you more/less? Forcing you to diet?

I'm really confused what you want from him.

Elfina Thu 01-Jan-15 12:27:21

Thank you for all your responses! I think you're all right - the alternative would be that he didn't like the way I am now. Thinking more about it, u think it might be my own personal self-esteem issues rearing their head; if I don't like me, why should he? I should probably work on that wink

slithytove Thu 01-Jan-15 13:09:37

Yes. And be happy your DH loves you however you are.

And in fairness, 10 kg is about 2 stone? Depending on where it's gone and the size you were to start, it really might not be that noticeable, especially if you were fluctuating during pregnancies.

If you want to lose weight, do it for you thanks

greenfolder Thu 01-Jan-15 13:12:24

yabu unless there is more behind your relationship.

my husband has never criticised me for my weight. one of the many reasons i love him.

however Thu 01-Jan-15 13:18:30

But...you've only just realised yourself?

Elfina Thu 01-Jan-15 13:54:00

No, I knew that of put weight on, but I only realised yesterday (when looking through some maternity notes) that I am heavier now than when I was 6 months pregnant. That was a shock.

Rebecca2014 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:05:50

My horrible ex never made comments about my weight. There are some things you never say to a woman! I think most men know that!

TooHasty Thu 01-Jan-15 14:11:21

Poor guy! He really can't win, can he?

TheyThinkImCool Thu 01-Jan-15 14:17:12

I actually don't think you are being unreasonable. If started putting on weight or let myself go in any way I would want my DP to tell me, and I know for sure he would in the nicest way possible.

Babiecakes11 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:26:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Thu 01-Jan-15 14:28:56

I married DW when she was 9st 11, and we celebrated our Silver at 14st 6. Desire comes from who she is, not what she looks like. Her feet are warmer too, which is not to be sneezed at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now