Talk

Advanced search

To not have let this man infront of me at checkout till?

(79 Posts)
LilMissSunshine9 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:13:24

.So I was in Tesco today grabbing some items for tonight and breakfast tomorrow (its about 3pm), it was really busy and I had already been patiently in the queue for the checkout for 15 minutes. I was up next and this guy wanders over and demands that I let him go in front of me to pay for his bottle of alcohol - ok I know it is one item but I have things to do and have been patient enough to queue up plus there are plenty of self-service or 5 items and less tills. So I politely refused and he got in a right huff said the self service & 5 items less tills were too busy then called me a fat bitch and walked off. In way I am glad I didn't since he was so incredibly rude. The guy who was in front of me and just paying said well it is New Year's you should of let him.

If it was me buying one item I would just go to self service or 5 items and less and wait my turn. I just wouldn't even think to try and queue jump.

coolaschmoola Wed 31-Dec-14 18:14:39

YANBU and he is a twat.

LongDistanceLove Wed 31-Dec-14 18:15:09

YANBU. How rude.

MooMaid Wed 31-Dec-14 18:16:59

YANBU why should you have let him, impatient bastard - if he'd been a bit nicer about it then maybe you might have thought about it!

And if the other bloke in front was so bothered perhaps he should have let him in front instead!

londonrach Wed 31-Dec-14 18:17:21

He has a small something...makes him feel manly to ask. Let him... He cant help it fgrin

Fabulous46 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:17:27

If someone behind me has only one item and I have a few I always let them in before me. Likewise if I have a trolley load and they have a little basket I always say to them to go first.

ILovePud Wed 31-Dec-14 18:18:04

He's clearly an entitled dick and he became abusive when you didn't give in. What was the deal with the guy in front, did he just turn around and say that to you? He sounds like a dick too.

LilMissSunshine9 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:18:47

its just the lack of the till operator saying anything and the guy in front rebuking me made me think I should of just let him its only one item but sometimes its just the principle of the matter. You wouldn't go into a bank and ask to jump the queue because you only want to deposit some money which is quicker then anyone else with queries etc.

Fanfeckintastic Wed 31-Dec-14 18:19:11

Oh my God how rude!! Who actually asksaanyway. If I have a big trolley full I'll always let someone with one or two things go ahead of me if it occurs to me but find it quite rude to ask. So glad you refused considering what a nasty prick he was! Who speaks to people like that?!

WorraLiberty Wed 31-Dec-14 18:22:02

Did he really demand? That's become such a Mumsnet 'thing' lately grin

I would have let him go as he only had one item. In fact if I had spotted him, I would have offered.

LilMissSunshine9 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:22:25

thanks for the reassurance - he was clearly walking up and down looking for a break at each till where you can try it on as he went to the next one and tried it on there.

hauntedhenry Wed 31-Dec-14 18:22:30

Well, he was a dick, but to be honest I would have let him through. I always do if someone just has one item and people often do the same for me.

Viviennemary Wed 31-Dec-14 18:22:32

He was rude. And I once let somebody in front of me with one item and they took totally forever counting out vouchers, and pennies. I was seething but didn't say anything. Grrrrr.

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Dec-14 18:22:42

As you said he demanded this then I would have said no too but if he had asked nicely I definitely would have let him.

ILovePud Wed 31-Dec-14 18:23:00

I can see why the till operators want to keep out of this but I'm shocked at the guy in front, did he just offer that up unsolicited? Why say that to a woman on her own who's just been verbally abused, I bet neither of them would have been so vocal if you'd have been a man.

tiggytape Wed 31-Dec-14 18:23:14

If someone behind me has only one item and I have a few I always let them in before me.

But this guy wasn't even in the queue. He picked up one item and then walked straight to the front of the queue and asked to be let in.
It wasn't as if he'd been standing patiently behind OP waiting to be served and then asked to go first.

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Wed 31-Dec-14 18:25:25

YANBU

I wouldn't ask to go in front of someone unless I had a few items, they had a trolleyful and I was in a huge hurry. And then I'd be polite and accept a 'no'. I certainly wouldn't throw verbal abuse. shock

Also, it's not just you he was going in front of, it was everyone behind you too. Everyone was going to wait an extra minute or two because he didn't want to queue. agree about the bloke in front of you - he didn't leap in to help presumably.

I very much hope your new year is fabulous,OP, and tomorrow's breakfast is delicious. I also hope that whiskey wanker wakes up tomorrow with a near fatal hangover in a skip, which isn't very charitable of me but then I'm a fat bitch. wink

KatoPotato Wed 31-Dec-14 18:27:47

Yanbu. Alcohol takes a notoriously longer time to scan through, security lids and underage seasonal staff are a given.

What a dick.

expatinscotland Wed 31-Dec-14 18:28:16

YANBU. It's always women men like this target. Fuck him. I'd have told him to queue up like everyone else. Entitled prick.

LilMissSunshine9 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:28:27

haha yeh there were a few people behind me and up into the aisles as that ishow busy it was and we all had trollies. Our Tesco is huge and has lots of self service tills plus a few tills are 5 items or less so its not like he would of had to wait as long as he would of behind a queue of filled trollies.

I was getting bits as I am off out to central to see the fireworks - happy new years to you too smile

joanne1947 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:28:42

It was a queue. That means wait until it is your turn.
YANBU he was rude and totally out of order

KatoPotato Wed 31-Dec-14 18:31:53

I once let a lady in front of me in ALDI as she was only clutching one item and was hopping foot to foot.

She never even thanked me, then it turned out she was returning this item (a seamless bra) and the only person with a till key was the manager who was in charge of fetching fireworks for seemingly everyone that day!

<still bitter>

Hatespiders Wed 31-Dec-14 18:35:33

I'd have let him in front. But you do risk annoying those behind by making their wait even longer. His retort was dreadful. What a prat!

A man let me through in front of him just last week at the checkout as I only had a few things and my dh wasn't with me to help. (The self-service had a huge queue, and anyway I never can get on with those machines.) I said, "That's very sweet of you, thanks!" Then his wife, who I hadn't noticed, piped up, "He's NOT sweet, he's a horrible man!" (shades of 'He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!)

I hurried off after paying. I probably started a 'domestic' there! grin

26Point2Miles Wed 31-Dec-14 18:41:40

Demand?? How? What did he actually say?

Whippet81 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:47:13

It's not an entitlement to queue jump even if you have one item and the one in front of you has a gazillion though. I normally let people with one or two items ahead but you haven't got to.

YANBU and he was an utter dick insulting you. Hope he dropped the fucking bottle as he left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now