Talk

Advanced search

To be relieved that I don't have to come up with 'exciting' New Year's plans for the next 10+ years

(23 Posts)
Izzy82 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:10:19

I HATE New Years Eve... With a passion! I hate that it's so bloody expensive to get in anywhere, that it's bloody expensive to buy a drink anywhere, that it's bloody impossible to get a reasonably priced taxi home from anywhere AND that you have to come up with something special to do because it's New Years Eve.
I'm more than happy to stay at home with a take away , a bottle of wine (read WKD) and go to bed early. And since I've just had a baby I have the prefect excuse for a few years to come!
God I sound like an OAP.
Does anyone else hate NYE as much as me?

Clobbered Wed 31-Dec-14 18:12:24

Yup, can't be arsed with the whole thing. Your life, your choice, do whatever you fancy, not at all U!

annielouisa Wed 31-Dec-14 18:13:55

I don't hate new year but like spending it quietly with my DH and hate the self indulgent drunken hullaballoo that some people enjoy. I will have a couple of glasses of bubbly and get some drunken I love mum calls or text from the DC

Tealady1983 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:15:21

Quite night for us too wink

Artandco Wed 31-Dec-14 18:20:51

Really? I think you'll just find friends with children in future will suggest you meet up together instead. Not clubbing, but still organised.

We will have 12 adults and 8 children (newborn-5 years), here shortly! Have the bedroom set up as a huge camp with blankets strung up and toys for little ones, plus cocktail recipes and ingredients set up in the kitchen for adults. And a snug in corner of dining area of blankets/ cushions and a Moses basket for baby and any little ones who fall asleep

championnibbler Wed 31-Dec-14 18:23:25

Yep.
Worst night of the year.
Staying in with plenty of prosecco and nibbles.

blew all xmas monies in the sales so can't go out anyways

MuttonCadet Wed 31-Dec-14 18:25:30

Just coming to the end of a 15 year enforced stop in and really looking forward to the "gala dinner" our local pub is putting on. smile

Gawjushun Wed 31-Dec-14 18:28:41

I used to thinking staying in for New Years was a fate worse than death. Now I bloody love it. The last few years have been spent having people round for lots of sparkling wine, but this year it's just us and some m&s party platters. No entry fees, no heels, and no queuing in the cold for an overpriced cab.

Tomorrow - only a slight hangover and a massive roast!

calmexterior Wed 31-Dec-14 18:31:15

I love NYE... This is the first bells I'll be in bed for since I was 14 (young DC3 who is bad sleeper!). Already booked my folks to babysit next year wine

I used to hate NYE but I find now post DS there is a lot less expectation that one will have a wild night. We're having folks round and I already know that they will be leaving at 12.30am as that's when the taxi is booked so I'm really looking forward to everyone coming.

splodgeses Wed 31-Dec-14 18:46:40

Yep grin
I hate it with a vegeance!

Actually, I hate the expectation that it has to be something crazy and exciting and if you don't party, you are boring.

I take the time to write a thank you letter to my dp (next year will be dh!!!) and also pre-schedule a text in case I fall asleep. We usually watch some crappy tv and have a quiet drink to toast ourselves into our future. We don't drink much as we have 2 dc, which in the past has been an apparently 'unacceptable' reason to not host a party where everyone intends to get utterly shitfaced drunk.

So nope, YANBU. Happy New Year!!!

Twinklestar2 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:51:02

This is the first nye that I won't see midnight! Have a 20-week old baby who still feeds at night so will be going to bed at a reasonable hour smile

calmexterior Wed 31-Dec-14 18:52:25

Snap twinklestar!

Bowlersarm Wed 31-Dec-14 18:53:45

It's lovely to get together with other families and all the kids at someone's house. Much, much nicer than clubbing or late night partying or standing around in Trafalgar Square IMO.

Purplepumpkins Wed 31-Dec-14 18:58:40

I hate It too, I plan to eat Chinese and drink some fizz and watch Greys anatomy on loop.

Fabulous46 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:58:57

We always have a barn dance. Everyone in the family from newborns to the elderly are always welcome. 5 industrial heaters, a hot buffet, a band and 7 rooms are all ready to bring in 2015 grin.

slightlyglitterstained Wed 31-Dec-14 18:59:15

YANBU, am actually quite happy not to be going out.

I wouldn't mind if it was like it was years ago and you could visit a few pubs & catch up with people, but since the bloody millennium almost all pubs seem to have gone over to charging for entry, so it costs a fortune and you're stuck there it it turns out to be crap. Makes it about the worst night of the year to go out, IMHO.

smable Wed 31-Dec-14 19:02:14

I've never liked new year, then I had my beautiful ds2 on NYE and now I can justifiably say I have to celebrate his birthday instead of doing New Year

Murphy29 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:04:04

YANBU and I could have written your post myself, particularly the WKD -I'm a connoisseur of the flavours-! Hogmanay is a big thing here so DS is our excuse for years grin

Murphy29 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:04:23

Ugh strike out fail!

cardibach Wed 31-Dec-14 19:07:37

I like it in the same way I like any party - don't really get why it's different. I like staying in, too, though if no party presents itself. I like having friends for dinner or, like this year, having champagne and nice food on my tod. I'll stay up for midnight if I feel like it.

OuchLegoHurts Wed 31-Dec-14 19:36:07

The only thing you ABU about is drinking WKD instead of something that will actually make you a bit tipsy! Otherwise, no, staying in is much better than going out on New Year's Eve.

DejaVuAllOverAgain Wed 31-Dec-14 19:42:42

I agree with Bowlersarm my best NYEs have been with family and/or friends at someone's house rather than playing sardines in a pub/club.

I haven't gone out for NYE in nearly two decades. I usually just have a quiet drink in the house and I've always enjoyed it. I'll be doing the same tonight, I'm working tomorrow so a few drinks and not too late a night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now