Talk

Advanced search

Help! Quick! What champagne/ cava to buy? A nice dry one?

(25 Posts)
FabulousFizzyness Wed 31-Dec-14 14:24:48

Posting here for traffic. I need to go out and get something fizzy this afternoon, and have no idea where to go or which one to buy. I prefer it dry rather than sweet.

Is there anything good in Aldi? Also have M & S, Budgens and Morrisons available.

What would you go for?

TheReluctantCountess Wed 31-Dec-14 14:31:57

Lido have an excellent one that is normally £11.99 but was on offer at £9.99.

TheReluctantCountess Wed 31-Dec-14 14:32:24

Lido? Lol. I mean Lidl.

AnyoneforTurps Wed 31-Dec-14 14:33:22

The Aldi champagne has also won lots of blind tastings and was £9.99 last time I was there bulk-buying it

grovel Wed 31-Dec-14 14:33:29

Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne 75cl, £14.99 at Morrisons.

Half price. Dry and very drinkable.

AnyoneforTurps Wed 31-Dec-14 14:34:27

I find Lido champagne has a slightly chloriney aftertaste wink

grovel Wed 31-Dec-14 14:35:31

That Lido one can taste of piss.

GertrudePerkins Wed 31-Dec-14 14:37:27

Aldi do a sparkling wine - Cremant du Jura - that's loads better than the cheap champagnes. I would get that in preference to the champagne there (and spend the change on Moser Roth chocolate)

ChickenMe Wed 31-Dec-14 14:45:11

Freixenet Cordon Negro is yum. Codorniu is a good make too.

Ujjayi Wed 31-Dec-14 14:52:40

M&S Oudinot Champagne (think that's what it is called) is good. Waitrose Blanc de Blancs Champagne excellent. But Veuve Clicquot is my all time favourite.

Prosecco: either Valdo or San Leo.

Purplepoodle Wed 31-Dec-14 14:54:44

Aldi prosecco got a good write up. M&s prosecco us nice. Iv gone for sainsbury own taste the difference one as it's reduced to about £7

MostAmused Wed 31-Dec-14 14:56:34

Morrisons cava (around 6.99) is surprisingly good.

Bettercallsaul1 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:11:34

We have been drinking Oudinot Brut champagne (from M&S) for the last week and, as ever, it has been LOVELY!!

ZombieJenna Wed 31-Dec-14 15:19:07

Frexionet cava is very nice and not sweet - usually about £11 a bottle although there is an 'excellence' version that's £15 and quite dry. I think Morrisons do it.

FabulousFizzyness Wed 31-Dec-14 15:21:15

Ooh! Thank you so much for all the info!!! Lots of choice then grin

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 31-Dec-14 15:23:23

There was a cava from M&S mentioned in saturdays times wine column as being a good buy. The only thing I can remember about it is that it is on offer for £5.33 reduced from £8.

MIL praised the Aldi cava that I served on Christmas Day, but I have no idea if she has good taste or not.

I'm not sure if I have tastebuds sophisticated enough to differentiate between brands and I'm perfectly happy with the basic cava or prosecco from any supermarket really. On the occasions that I've paid extra, I've not necessarily been able to tell the difference.

I've also seen certain brands being given good reviews by one wine reviewer while being simultaneously binned by someone else, so I'm not sure if anyone will agree on what's good or bad anyway.

FabulousFizzyness Wed 31-Dec-14 15:26:16

I know what you mean - however, I suppose there can be a general consensus whether something is pretty nice, or not worth the money. And I definitely am not keen on sweeter ones so want to steer clear of those. I think I'll be happy with whatever of these suggestions I end up with smile

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 31-Dec-14 15:31:17

If you want sweet not dry, you just need to look for brut not sec or Demi sec on the label.

Angelwings11 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:33:31

Prosecco is lovely and dry. Tesco is selling it at half price at £6.49.

BlueBrightBlue Wed 31-Dec-14 15:34:12

Well tonight I'll mostly be drinking peach Lambrini with Buckfast chasers.

Flossyfloof Wed 31-Dec-14 15:37:22

Ludlow prosecco with yellow label us fine. Aldi Cremant de Jura is fine too. I am always wary of cheap champagne, not that I know much about it.

Flossyfloof Wed 31-Dec-14 15:38:07

Actually, if I am honest I wouldn't go all the way to Ludlow for it Lidl will be fine.

DertieBertie Wed 31-Dec-14 17:20:12

Both Aldi and Co-Op have surprisingly lovely own brand proseccos, and i think that the Co-Op one is on offer atm for about £7

handcream Wed 31-Dec-14 17:33:10

Tesco has Nicholas feiulette at half price. NYE IS the time for proper champagne!

Bettercallsaul1 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:02:48

Just noticed your post OIMBT - did you mean to say Brut on the label meant sweet, or was it New Year gremlins? grin Brut indicates the driest category in sparkling wines, with "sec" sweeter and "Demi-sec" sweeter still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now