Talk

Advanced search

Cosmetic companies should be vegetarian friendly

(24 Posts)
Jamrollypolly Wed 31-Dec-14 11:54:48

AIBU to think cosmetic companies should put a V sign on vegetarian friendly products like food manufactures? I purchased a clinique lips and nails gift set yesterday and have no idea if I can use it. I only want to know about the chubby sticks but the ingredients are really complicated.

Purplepumpkins Wed 31-Dec-14 12:03:52

Have you tried googling? Or looking on the website. I know cowshed products are vegetarian as on the website it states their vegetarian.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 31-Dec-14 12:07:49

You can order vegan cosmetics online.

and health food shops should see them

there used to be a range called beauty without cruelty

Jamrollypolly Wed 31-Dec-14 12:20:13

Purple pumpkins their website doesn't say and I've just tried their live chat and they are not able to tell me either. They can only help you choose the colours/products (if your not vegetarian)!

Thanks files I'll try those.

BlairWaldorfHeadBand Wed 31-Dec-14 12:22:53

Clinique do not test on animals, not sure about the products,however most lipstick contains beeswax

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 31-Dec-14 12:25:26

www.mypure.co.uk/search?q=Make+up

www.pravera.co.uk/shop/lavera-cosmetics/natural-make-up/new-lavera-make-up

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 31-Dec-14 12:27:25

www.pravera.co.uk/shop/lavera-cosmetics/vegan-products/make-up

these are the completely vegan ones

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 31-Dec-14 12:37:34

www.bwcshop.com/ultimate-natural-liquid-foundation/

QuacksForDoughnuts Wed 31-Dec-14 12:55:10

I know it doesn't help with the product you have in hand, but Superdrug's B range is certainly all vegetarian, I think it's all vegan but you'd need to double check things like lipsticks on that score.

bigbluestars Wed 31-Dec-14 13:02:10

Do you mean vegetarian or vegan?

AuntieStella Wed 31-Dec-14 13:09:23

Beauty Without Cruelty is still going (or was, last time I looked).

And I'll see if I can find a website I used to use which listed "V" friendly cosmetics (and will link it if I do) as you might find it helpful for future choices.

InfinitySeven Wed 31-Dec-14 13:10:56

Chubby sticks didn't used to be vegetarian. I don't know if it's changed but if live chat aren't aware, I'd say it probably hasn't.

AuntieStella Wed 31-Dec-14 13:12:54

PETA's list of ingredients to swerve is here

fascicle Wed 31-Dec-14 13:18:34

It's a bit crap that there's nothing on their website. I buy stuff from Lily Lolo (95% products 'vegan friendly', and they're pretty clear about what is/isn't vegan in the FAQ).

You could e-mail Clinique at infocl@clinique.co.uk or put each ingredient into a search engine with something like 'origin' or 'wuitable for vegetarians'. They may/may not have used e.g. carmine as a colouring.

Wouldn't it be easier to find out before you buy next time?

Birdsgottafly Wed 31-Dec-14 13:23:54

There are lists online.

As said, Superdrug are good at labelling.

The large companies won't/can't, if they export, as some countries, China is one, insist on animal testing.

Any company that exports to these countries test on animals.

To add further complications, many companies that claim not to, have ingredients that are tested on animals, but bought afterwards.

So they get around the fact they actually do, to create their products.

I'm Vegan and against all unnecessary animal abuse/cruelty, so am on lots of Forums, this is an ongoing issue.

It's frustrating, but in regards to animal testing, things aren't improving.

Although, a lot of cleaning products that are in discount shops are not Vegetarian society approved.

Birdsgottafly Wed 31-Dec-14 13:29:16

Just to add that when questioned, many Make Up houses don't consider insects as animals and only count mammals, as animals.

In truth, they aren't interested in being animal cruelty free, unless they have to.

fascicle Wed 31-Dec-14 14:21:47

Birdsgottafly Re: insects. It puzzles me that some Vegetarian Society approved products contain shellac, which I understand will contain some insect residue.

Lilmissconcerned Wed 31-Dec-14 22:49:55

This post has opened my mind.... Vegan beauty products never even thought about it!

nocoolnamesleft Wed 31-Dec-14 23:36:04

Try buying Xmas presents/catering for a vegan SIL...had to get educated fast. Particularly after the candles cock up... I'm decidedly carnivorous, but obviously don't want to inadvertently cause offence to said relative.

trinitybleu Thu 01-Jan-15 19:55:18

Younique have some vegan friendly products - Moodstruck concealers,
Moodstruck Blushers,
Refreshed Rose Water,
BB Flawless and
Awake Facial Cleanser for a start. All the products have a full ingredient list on the site so you can double check for your own peace of mind too.

CassieBearRawr Thu 01-Jan-15 20:18:23

@nocoolnamesleft That's really thoughtful and considerate of you. Many people view their vegetarian/vegan relatives a monumental arseache they can't be bothered with, you're a breath of fresh air!

That said if it was a genuine error I hope your sister in law was gracious enough not to cause a huge fuss. You sound lovely, I hope she appreciates your efforts!

Jamrollypolly Sun 04-Jan-15 17:30:34

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions regarding vegetarian and vegan friendly products, I'll definitely look into these. I am vegetarian but vegan products would be even better.

Fascicle, your right it would be better to find out before buying the product, unfortunately I had never thought about this before. I've been using clinique branded products for years. For some reason I wrongly thought they were vegetarian friendly. I am certainly more aware now. Lilmissconcerned your not the only one who has never looked at the ingredients in make up before, I've looked at food but never makeup, which is why a v sign would be helpful. Crushed Beatles on my lips does not sound appealing!

carlywurly Sun 04-Jan-15 19:36:09

I'm ashamed to say I've been veggie for over 30 years and never given this a passing thought. confused

corgiology Sun 04-Jan-15 20:34:15

Tbh even if it wasn't veggie (and I am speaking as a fellow veggie) I would still use it so the animal didn't suffer in vain.

They have your money and the animal is dead, shame it wasn't picked up on but the least we can do is utilize as much as possible smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now