Talk

Advanced search

to think you shouldn't get an Honour just for doing your job in the Royal Household?

(41 Posts)
kim147 Wed 31-Dec-14 08:42:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Orangeisthenewbanana Wed 31-Dec-14 08:43:28

I thought the same thing when I looked at the list yesterday.

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 31-Dec-14 08:46:11

If your boss is the one handing out the honours and you've done a good job, what's the problem?

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 31-Dec-14 08:46:56

It's all meaningless bullshit though, isn't it? Of course rich people, people who the Royals know etc. are going to get the honours. It's not going to be people like teen carers with no support because no one knows about them. All the more reason to ignore the whole nonsense.

I'm with Benjamin Zephaniah.

Chocolateteacake Wed 31-Dec-14 08:47:37

They know where the bodies are buried..

kim147 Wed 31-Dec-14 08:49:06

EdithWeston Wed 31-Dec-14 08:49:16

Many of the people on the list get their gong for doing their job well (and it for a long time).

Only the Household get the VO, so it's pretty clear what they've been rewarded for.

angelohsodelight Wed 31-Dec-14 08:49:30

There are very few worthy recipients. Doing your job alone is not reason to get an honour. Doing your job and going above and beyond is. It's all a load of bollocks.

AuntieStella Wed 31-Dec-14 08:52:04

I don't think being good at acting makes a huge difference to society. And 'services to drama' tends to mean "acting"

And remember dear Mr Blair whose recommended honours list included winners of sports events, who had done 'nothing' other than achieve that excellence, for which they had already been rewarded for by medals and trophies.

angelohsodelight Wed 31-Dec-14 08:56:46

Just looked at the list .....what utter bollocks! President of hilton hotels gets an honour?! Really? Anyone connected with the rail industry should have the details amended - for spectacularly ripping off train users. Tom Winsor - for ruining the police service even more. The royal carriage cleaner? Honestly. But there are some deserving cases, those who do the extra mile with charities, philanthropy, protecting kids/disabled people's rights ..... There are the ones who can walk away knowing they deserve it.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 31-Dec-14 08:59:42

Lots of awards go to people doing there job in government offices as well. My cousin got one for working in the foreign office. Yes it was a tough job posted to Egylt, Libya and close work with Syria but its what she applied to do!

NutcrackerFairy Wed 31-Dec-14 09:00:58

I agree OP.

I also get incensed when I see pop stars getting gongs, ie Sir Paul McCartney.

Why are they being honoured in this way? They already get huge recognition, reward and accolades through virtue of being successful in the music industry.

I personally would like to see 'quiet achievers' recognised in the honours list. Those members of our community who give up their time and skills to benefit the community in some way, ie working with disadvantaged youth or the homeless and have reached a level of authority and experience in this area and deserve recognition of this fact. Especially those who perform this service as a volunteer.

Not the Queen's electrician for fucks sake hmm. Presumably the chap gets paid for his work and probably a nice Christmas hamper from Fortnum & Mason too. What he does undoubtedly benefits the Queen but unless he is also fixing the wiring of the disadvantaged on a volunteer basis I do not fell he is deserving of an accolade for simply doing his job.

Viviennemary Wed 31-Dec-14 09:06:11

YANBU. People should only get an hounour if they have done something exceptional not just for doing their job. And it shouldn't matter if they work for the Queen or a local corner shop. I hate this royal lark. As if people that even work for them are better than the rest of us.

Chocolateteacake Wed 31-Dec-14 09:10:17

You do see 'ordinary folks' get awards but that's usually in your local newspaper 'lollypop lady, Mary Smith gets award for working 70 years as local PDSA vet' or some such.

If you work in charity, you will find a lot of people eager to see what they got in the awards - and these are not the people armpit deep in blood and bodies, but the higher up types who attend meetings (and dangerous sruff like that).

DuchessDisaster Wed 31-Dec-14 09:12:12

Presumably the Royal Electrician received his gong for keeping all the 2 bar electric fires in the Royal residences working, even though they are inefficient and expensive to run?

Oodbrain Wed 31-Dec-14 09:16:37

People have to be nominated too don't they. Maybe there needs to be more 'on the ground' nominations

kim147 Wed 31-Dec-14 09:16:56

53Dragon Wed 31-Dec-14 09:18:50

Honours are an expected perk of the job in the armed forces. My brother-in-law was awarded an MBE after successfully running a good project. You reach a certain stage and if you do your job properly then the invite to the Palace duly follows.
It stinks.

angelos02 Wed 31-Dec-14 09:51:00

YANBU
The awards might have a bit of gravitas and respect if they were given to people that actually made a difference to 'real' people. Joan Collins? FFS. Seriously? What about all the young carers out there? Medical staff actually making a difference to human life? Actors, singers etc...word in your ear...nothing you ever say is making a miniscule of difference.

angelos02 Wed 31-Dec-14 09:51:06

YANBU
The awards might have a bit of gravitas and respect if they were given to people that actually made a difference to 'real' people. Joan Collins? FFS. Seriously? What about all the young carers out there? Medical staff actually making a difference to human life? Actors, singers etc...word in your ear...nothing you ever say is making a miniscule of difference.

Joshuajosephspork Wed 31-Dec-14 09:52:24

It's all a load of bollocks really though. Although I would agree that this sort of thing devalues it for the people who really do deserve it. We need root and branch reform of the honours system.

grovel Wed 31-Dec-14 09:52:26

Generally I agree, OP, with a couple of caveats:

The Royal Household does not pay well. I'm pretty sure that the Buckingham Palace electrician could maybe double his/her pay by becoming, say, electrician at the Ritz. In those circumstances I don't really resent a gong for long and loyal service.

Some "automatic" gongs simply recognise that an individual may be taking a whacking pay cut to move into public service. High Court Judges are appointed from the cream of the Bar. As barristers they are, at that point, likely to be earning £350,000+. As a judge they will get £165,000 (hardly tiny but a significant drop). To knight them seems fair enough.

angelos02 Wed 31-Dec-14 10:00:16

I think most people just see it as a bit of fun...like the American teen awards.

angelos02 Wed 31-Dec-14 10:01:15

Or 'Rear of the Year'.

Which is a shame as it de-values the awards that go to people that matter.

EdithWeston Wed 31-Dec-14 10:06:15

"Don't William and Katherine get to hand out any gongs to their staff?"

No. The VO is entirely within the gift of HMQ. If they recommended a recipient (just as, for example it seems other senior royals have done for their staff) it is likely HMQ will confer something.

HMQ rarely if ever overrules the recommendations of the those who can nominate. Most of the Honours List is at the request of the PM (on advice of the Honours Committee or whatever it's called these days). So the vast majority of honours are essentially from the government of the day. The system is meant to be straighter than in the good old days of Lloyd George, but you can still see trends (Blair very populist, lots of sports; Brown more of the long-serving humble public servant; this lot fairly mixed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now