Talk

Advanced search

To ask guests to eat takeaway on their laps?

(10 Posts)
BetweenRockAndAHardPlace Wed 31-Dec-14 08:26:31

I have a cute but very compact 2-bed house, I only have room for a small foldaway table which seats 2-3 people and takes up nearly the whole living room when it's out and lvies in cupboard under the stairs most of the time. I've got total of 5 adults and one child round mine tonight for indian takeaway and drinks for NYE, and we'll have no option but to eat on our laps as I just don't have the space (one reason I don't often have many people over at mine at once!)
When I go to theirs we eat up their lovely big table. Will I be perceived as a slob? These are family members so not going to exactly be judgey to my face, I hope!

CaptainAnkles Wed 31-Dec-14 08:28:21

You don't eat takeaway at the table! It's nice cosy lazy food eaten curled up on a sofa. It is my house anyway.

PotteringAlong Wed 31-Dec-14 08:29:17

No one eats takeaway at the table! Have a lovely evening flowers

LuckyLopez Wed 31-Dec-14 08:29:36

I love eating off my lap, please don't worry. Do you have a coffee table or kitchen side you can lay it all out on and enough seats?

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 31-Dec-14 08:29:41

What's your kitchen like? Any room to eat in there?

How old are the people coming? Rude question but a throw on the floor and 'carpet picnic' would be great for a few 20 and 30 yo but not a group of people in their 70s.

RandomNPC Wed 31-Dec-14 08:30:08

I usually eat it at the table, but that's because I'm a messy sod.

5ChildrenAndIt Wed 31-Dec-14 08:31:08

What is the takeaway. IME pizza on lap = fine. Sloppy curry = potential for disaster.

LuckyLopez Wed 31-Dec-14 08:32:25

Op says Indian do I guessing it's a curry....

Pipbin Wed 31-Dec-14 08:33:14

I would imagine that it would be obvious to them that there is no way of eating at a table of the room is so small.
Unless one of your guests is my mother, who would shrivel up and die at the thought of eating off her lap, I wouldn't worry.

BetweenRockAndAHardPlace Wed 31-Dec-14 08:40:06

The guests are between 10 and early 50s who are all healthy and fit no problems there.
I've got a sideboard I can lay everything out on so that won't be an issue, have just enough seats for guests smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now