Talk

Advanced search

*h with a 'terminal' cold demanding sympathy*

(21 Posts)
strawberrysalsa Tue 30-Dec-14 20:30:04

ok I know men are supposed to be babies when they are ill but this is just getting ridiculous. He decided as soon as he finished work for Christmas that he had a cold and proceeded to cough and dose himself up on cold remedies, managing to avoid any of the work preparing for the big day.
He is now laid on the sofa under a duvet 'shivering' and 'coughing'...but only when he has company!
He was well enough to go out to the gym all afternoon yesterday and today and managed to eat quite happily so I'm not buying his 'terminal' cold act.
Would you offer any sympathy?

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Tue 30-Dec-14 20:32:58

In my house if you are ill then it's bed with nothing.

Well enough to move around you pitch in.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 30-Dec-14 20:33:37

Not if he went to the gym unless it really was he was trying to feel better and it didn't work

The next time he looks like doing something he wants to do put some chores in his hand

gamerchick Tue 30-Dec-14 20:35:18

Aye bed. ^^ a good way of weeding out the kids fancy a day off school vs really ill.

If he can function normally when it suits him then tell him to give his head a wobble.

Coconutty Tue 30-Dec-14 20:35:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fabulous46 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:38:13

We've had a bloody awful cold virus thingy over Christmas. It wiped me out for 2 days before Christmas (and I'm not one to take to my bed), it was horrendous. DH has been in bed all day, the first time I've known him to take to his bed in 20 odd years.

AmantesSuntAmentes Tue 30-Dec-14 20:40:38

I do sympathy for 1 hour. Or for 2 minute bursts totalling 1 hour, if it's looking to be a long illness. Pace yourself! Sympathy is exhausting, IMO.

EatDessertFirst Tue 30-Dec-14 20:49:03

I only do sympathy such as I can stretch to when DP has done everything in his power to make himself feel better. If he is still poorly after taking meds, steaming and drinking plenty then I might let him lay on the sofa with a duvet. Otherwise, its bed. I can't be doing with the huffing and dramatics when he won't do anything to help himself. I'm probably not helping as I'm the least sympathetic person in the world when it comes to DP and colds.

grumpyoldgitagain Tue 30-Dec-14 20:57:25

Don't give him sympathy just tell him to get out of bed and stop being a whinging twat

If he was really ill then maybe a little whiskey, warm water and sugar.

But even then he should be able to get that himself

Pensionerpeep Tue 30-Dec-14 21:09:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 30-Dec-14 21:11:58

Oh please if he wants a real cold I'll gladly give him mine

KatieKatie1980 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:18:29

Mine has one too at the minute. He's one of those that will really complain, but won't take anything for it unless I physically give it to him. grrr

No sympathy! Especially for situational man-flu. If he's well enough to go to the gym...

Maybe you should come down with the same illness ;) (would he cope?!!)

FrankelandFilly Tue 30-Dec-14 21:27:08

Familiar? grin

Topseyt Tue 30-Dec-14 21:35:47

I am sympathetic to genuine illness, but not to the dramatics of man-flu.

If he was well enough to go to the gym then there is not a lot wrong. Tell him to stop being a drama queen.

JKSLtd Tue 30-Dec-14 21:41:31

DH has been ill and mostly home from work for 2 months on and off.

Sympathy is a long distant memory.

And his is an actual illness but he's still being a wuss

No sympathy for your DH, no way! mean cow

Aherdofmims Tue 30-Dec-14 22:19:11

Mine is in bed with a (admittedly bad) cold. Claims he probably has Ebola.

He is eating chocolate bars so I think that is unlikely.

Aherdofmims Tue 30-Dec-14 22:19:41

He gets very little sympathy because he is useless if anyone else is ill.

CallMeExhausted Tue 30-Dec-14 22:21:17

Sympathy is actually quite easy to find...

It is in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphilis.

QTPie Tue 30-Dec-14 22:24:40

Not if he can go to the gym. I am sitting here with a massive sore throat and fever and could not contemplate the gym or any exercise. I can still eat, thank god...

strawberrysalsa Wed 31-Dec-14 07:58:54

thanks for your replies...I was starting to wander if I was being unkind as I an known for being overly sympathetic.
Fortunately he is back in work on Friday so I am looking for a miraculous recovery for then. He is also off out tonight to a friends for New Years so he is managing 'heroically' to do what he wants over the holidays...obviously 'dying' of cold is his way to enjoy Christmas!

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 31-Dec-14 08:07:17

no no no no no - if he is ill no party! Otherwise - not ill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now