Talk

Advanced search

to worry about the slippery slope of taking away the universal benefit of winter fuel allowance

(53 Posts)
verasomerset Tue 30-Dec-14 18:59:56

So now ids will be taking away this formally universal benefit to some people in warmer countries.

This strikes me as very unfair as it is a universal benefit that is not means tesed. The people living is Spain will have paid all their tax and stamp just like everyone else. Also it is sometimes the poorest people that have moved to Spain due to high UK costs and releasing equity in their UK home, these people may need it for air con.

Stealthpolarbear Tue 30-Dec-14 19:00:56

Seriously???

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 30-Dec-14 19:03:52

Hilarious OP. hmm

Patrickstarxx Tue 30-Dec-14 19:03:56

Personally I think only those living in Britain should get the winter payment.

It's a bit of a tough subject to discuss. Take my elderly neighbour for instance. She spends all hers on her grandkids and will then sit and freeze in her home.

My dps gran who is a millionaire gets it and she doesn't need it yet a family down the street on benefits get naff all.

The whole thing is daft.

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 30-Dec-14 19:05:15

Welcome to MN, interesting first post etc, etc

Theoretician Tue 30-Dec-14 19:05:41

I think it should be abolished altogether. If you think pensioners are incapable of planning for higher heating bills in winter, then divide the state pension so that there is an extra payment in winter.

FlipFlippingFlippers Tue 30-Dec-14 19:05:43

<passes the biscuit >

MaryWestmacott Tue 30-Dec-14 19:06:05

Bollocks, the winter fuel allowance is a relatively new benefit, brought in when Gordon brown was chancellor to offset the backlash from putting vat on fuel, the payment was supposed to stop old voters people not being able to hear their homes due to the increased costs this extra tax caused. People living in Spain are not paying vat on their fuel, so why would they need a hand out to ease the burden of the tax? It should never have been given to non-uk resident pensioners in the first place.

Fabulous46 Tue 30-Dec-14 19:08:06

Grabs wine. This will be interesting....

Viviennemary Tue 30-Dec-14 19:08:39

I think it should be taken away from people in warm country as why would they need winter fuel allowance. I also wouldn't object to the raising of the qualifying age to 70. But it shouldn't be means tested. I also agree only people in the UK should get this benefit.

Theoretician Tue 30-Dec-14 19:08:56

Winter fuel allowance when introduced went to every state pensioner, even if they were a millionaire living on the equator, so really it was just a gimmicky way of increasing the state pension by a fixed amount.

5EllipticGoldRings Tue 30-Dec-14 19:09:12

Don't forget pensioners also get a £10 Christmas bonus - can't imagine what they spend it all on hmm

LIZS Tue 30-Dec-14 19:09:12

Are you being ironic? Their choice to go to the sun and pay lower taxes , then choose to tax advantage of benefits and nhs as and when it suits. Save the money for those who need it.

TooHasty Tue 30-Dec-14 19:09:45

But the cold weather payment is for, you know, cold weather.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Tue 30-Dec-14 19:10:22

Struggling to take this seriously

expatinscotland Tue 30-Dec-14 19:12:37

Yawn. Are you for real?

meltedmonterayjack Tue 30-Dec-14 19:13:05

Is this a wind up?

FrogIsATwatInASantaHat Tue 30-Dec-14 19:14:23

I've lived in southern spain in the winter. It was fucking freezing.

verasomerset Tue 30-Dec-14 19:14:29

This is serious
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2856280/An-end-madness-winter-fuel-cash-expats-Costa-del-Sol-bill-reaches-130million-law-changed.html

Isn't my first post, I just couldn't log in to my last account. As you can see on the daily mail most liked comments most people think this is unfair.

What I'm tallking about is the slippery slope of means testing, soon it will be only avalible for pensioners that don't have x or y. That's the worry

TheFairyCaravan Tue 30-Dec-14 19:14:43

Rich pensioners living in this country shouldn't get it.
All pensioners who have moved abroad shouldn't get it.

They can keep bleating that they paid in, but it's not a bloody savings account to withdraw from once you get old. Every single one of them has taken out since they were born, just like the rest of us.

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 30-Dec-14 19:14:45

I think they need to means test it! Wealthy pensioners don't need it, families with disabilities that are running medical devices needing electric day and night need it, vulnerable people that can't risk getting cold need it.

Dawndonnaagain Tue 30-Dec-14 19:15:18

Oh do bugger off!

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 30-Dec-14 19:15:18

Have we been invaded? hmm

Finola1step Tue 30-Dec-14 19:15:48

I call wind up!

SugarPlumTree Tue 30-Dec-14 19:16:01

That's most kind of you to worry about my FIL in Spain but he is 88 and his circulation is quite shit so he doesn't need air con.

I was totally gobsmacked when I found he was able to claim and a bit hmm that he actually did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now