Talk

Advanced search

To put my hand down on the ceramic hob to test if it was hot?

(47 Posts)
GoodKingQuintless Tue 30-Dec-14 18:58:46

It was.
My "piss off finger" has 3rd degree burns.

I now have 1, 2 and 3rd degree burns, on my middle 3 fingers.

How stupid could I be???

LIZS Tue 30-Dec-14 19:00:27

Gave you seen a doctor ?

BlackeyedSantaStuckUpAChimney Tue 30-Dec-14 19:00:40

ouch,

hover next time. or look at the light on the front of the cooker?

iwantgin Tue 30-Dec-14 19:02:38

Ouch!!

I bet you won't do it again, will you ??

Run under cold tap for a long time and if it looks nasty you might need to see a medic. Hopefully not.

(I am frequently covered in cooking burns, they hurt!)

SeaUnicorns Tue 30-Dec-14 19:03:26

i did that at uni 13 years ago ended up with my whole hand in plastic for two days and applying cream for weeks afterwards.

roses2 Tue 30-Dec-14 19:06:19

Why didn't you flick some water on the hob?

Lorialet Tue 30-Dec-14 19:44:07

When I was doing my basic training in the WRNS, many years ago, a lad licked an iron to see if it was hot. It was.

fluffyraggies Tue 30-Dec-14 20:50:00

ooooh - have you seen a doc? Lots of cold clean water on it if you've just done it OP. Keep the heat in the skin down.

We've just bought a new ceramic hob which tells you when it's still hot. Old one gave no clue. Unpacking shopping I put a loaf of bread down on it a couple of weeks ago (thinking it was cold) and melted all the bloody plastic off it. Ruined the bread and the hob.

DamnBamboo Tue 30-Dec-14 20:54:34

Did you really do this to see if it was hot?

I appreciate you burnt your hand which I imagine is painful (put it under running cold water for a long time), but really? You didn't know if it was burning so you touched it to find out?

Where is the AIBU in this?

GoodKingQuintless Tue 30-Dec-14 23:10:49

I did not think it was still hot. The "red dot" in the corner was covered by something else.

Clearly it is behind my competence to make pancakes, using two large frying pans, making one batch of sweet pancakes with coconut and pineapple, and one batch of savoury with ham and cheese. Split second, and I thought I should check if the hob was still hot, so I could put the bowl of batter there without it melting....

<sigh>

I really am that dumb.

I had it in cold water for hours, now have aloe gel

misog2000 Tue 30-Dec-14 23:16:58

I have also done this blush the sizzle as my hand touched the hot plate is something I won't ever forget

SaggyAndLucy Tue 30-Dec-14 23:18:19

No more stupid than my dear Mother who once put the iron to her cheek to see if it was hot!! She had a red triangle complete with 6 steam holes on her face for weeks!

wafflingworrier Tue 30-Dec-14 23:23:03

spit on the hob next time!
hope you heal quickly

opalstones Tue 30-Dec-14 23:27:14

I licked a curling wand once to see if it was hot.

Burnt tastebuds feel very peculiar indeed.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 30-Dec-14 23:35:18

I once quickly patted the sole plate of my iron with the palm of my hand to check if it was hot yet. It was............and I wasnt quick enough, it was agony. No idea why I did it.

But not as bad as friend who thought between her bare thighs was a good place to hold her big hot hair curler wand thingy while fixing her hair. She ended up spread eagled in a+e with serious burns.

caroldecker Tue 30-Dec-14 23:45:57

Note: if you are stupid enough checking things are hot/electrically charged, use the back of your hand as the reflex is to close a fist, so the back of the hand pulls away, but the front grabs the object.

Bulbasaur Tue 30-Dec-14 23:52:36

When DH was working fast food he had a coworker that dropped his watch or something in the frying oil. He quickly stuck his hand in the hot oil to get it back.

They all sent him a get well card calling him a dumbass as they signed. grin

I don't think there was permanent damage to his hand, he didn't have to get skin grafts or anything, but it hurt like hell that's for sure.

maleenteringfemalefacilities Tue 30-Dec-14 23:53:34

8 hour cream is fab to cure burns. (I'm the woman who took a saucepan of risotto out of the oven, put it down on the hob, took off the oven glove and grasped the handle to hold it steady while I stirred it).

Half a tube of Liz Arden helped massively (plus I defrosted a full bag of raspberries during dinner by holding the burnt hand on them).

GoodKingQuintless Tue 30-Dec-14 23:55:48

It is a strange comfort to know I am not alone in this....

Jelliebabe2 Tue 30-Dec-14 23:56:46

I tried to move a security light with my thumb once (it had been on for ages!). Yowch!

ZingTheGreat Wed 31-Dec-14 00:10:33

oh dear, poor you.

the test is to spit on it, same for irons, or if classy sprinkle a few drops of water

now what you need to do is apply honey to all burnt areas and cover with a cloth or tissue paper, the wrap in clingfilm.
keep everything moist and covered. do not let skin dry out or it will crack and bleed, might get infected, scar way worse and heal way longer

take painkillers

ZingTheGreat Wed 31-Dec-14 00:19:44

I burnt my fingers really badly in May, hot oil met eggy bread, massive spit like gunshot, absolute agony.
I spent hours putting my hand under cold water, then ended up wrapping ice lollies around fingers so I could sleep.
honey treatment for weeks meant excellent healing and I have no scars whatsoever.

And one more thing - do not burst any blisters. the liquid inside will protect your skin better than anything.

AlpacaStockingOnChristmasEve Wed 31-Dec-14 00:28:20

It's the kind of mistake that everyone makes once and particularly daft people make twice...
I burned my hand on a radiator in a shop. Yes it was on, actually. (Aged 7)
I burned my finger on a hob ring. Yes it was still hot actually, even if it wasn't glowing red still. (Aged 8)

SomethingOnce Wed 31-Dec-14 00:38:03

I once dipped my finger in a pan of water to see if it was near boiling.

IWBU. YWBU.

Bulbasaur Wed 31-Dec-14 00:54:40

And one more thing - do not burst any blisters. the liquid inside will protect your skin better than anything.

This!

If you must pop it, don't remove the skin, use a pin to drain and put a bandage on it. It will protect the raw skin from outside bacteria while it heals and minimize any scarring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now