Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why Toni home perms are no longer all the rage?

(110 Posts)
DameDoom Tue 30-Dec-14 17:56:14

Newcastle, New Years Eve 1984 - what better way to begin afresh than with an elegant Toni demi-wave from the chemists?
No sitting round in Fenwicks salon for us - not when mam and aunty Joan had a bag full of perming rollers, 40 silk cut (each), 2 cans of Kestrel Super Strength, and an almost emptyish kitchen sink - twas a right pamper sesh.
I can remember the big reveal like it was yesterday. Begone waist length tresses and becometh Vera Duckworth style frizz.
Mam lied and told me it just added a bit of body and bounce...aunty Joan said I looked quite French
Absolute lyin' bastards...

Marylou2 Tue 30-Dec-14 18:01:17

I had a shocking perm in the 80s.It was my one and only. grin Love your post by the way..I think there might be a novel or a play in it!

TooHasty Tue 30-Dec-14 18:01:24

I dunno, strange that

VitalStollenFix Tue 30-Dec-14 18:05:50

oh my god. the 80s home perm. Horrible flashback.

not only did I have one, but I had a blonde streaks too. And not the good kind.

a 'stand in a puddle and stick a fork in a plug socket' hairdo

lollilou Tue 30-Dec-14 18:07:20

I can still remember the horrible smell of them and the liquid trickling down your neck!

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Tue 30-Dec-14 18:07:23

Ooh i wish i'd been around for perms. My dad had one. grin

iklboo Tue 30-Dec-14 18:08:38

I wanted one of those loose perms in the 80s. The friend of a friend of my mum's friend who usually cut our hair said it was a great idea. Except the only perms she had ever done were old lady ones. So I ended up as a 17 year old with a tight granny perm confused. At least I know what I'll look like when I'm in my late 70s.

VitalStollenFix Tue 30-Dec-14 18:12:55

your dad had an 80s perm and you wish you'd been around?

I now feel terribly old. grin

SandyVagina Tue 30-Dec-14 18:13:16

I had the most fabulous corkscrew perm when I was 17. It stayed in the sections and poinged straight out of my head. I loved it.

Sigh, when will they come back into vogue?

Deeray Tue 30-Dec-14 18:14:11

I think this thread needs photos.

Pantone363 Tue 30-Dec-14 18:16:57

Vagina, that perm is great. Shit haircut and colour this week, I might go the whole hog and ask for a perm next time

VitalStollenFix Tue 30-Dec-14 18:18:36

it REALLY doesn't, dee. I promise you. grin

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Tue 30-Dec-14 18:20:30

your dad had an 80s perm and you wish you'd been around?

I now feel terribly old.

grin yep he had a moustache aswell. No shellsuit though. I'm 28.

SandyVagina Tue 30-Dec-14 18:21:25

That's not me, obviously.

Oh, diffusers and moose and elnett, oh my. I set fire to my hair once when lighting a fag. It went up like petrol soaked rags. Oh wait.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Tue 30-Dec-14 18:21:49

Vagina, that perm is great.

I misread this as "vagina perm is great" blush

SandyVagina Tue 30-Dec-14 18:22:43

Vagina perming would be pretty pointless.

iklboo Tue 30-Dec-14 18:22:47

I looked like Mrs Mangel.

ClaimedByMe Tue 30-Dec-14 18:23:43

Ahhhh my mum had a perm in the late 80s early 90s...she was the double Brian May they could have been twins!

DameDoom Tue 30-Dec-14 18:25:30

My friend's dad was getting a 'Chris Waddle' once when I went round for tea. Like a permed mullet but with white tips bleached at the front? Her mam also did it but that was fine because their neighbour two doors down had a cousin who trained to be a hairdresser and osmosis is a wonderful thing.
I really fancied him until I saw him in the perming rollers.
Mind you he got fit again once he put on his Kappa puffa jacket with a nipped in waist confused
Went right off him when he got a 'beans on toast' perm though.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Tue 30-Dec-14 18:26:16

I dunno, maybe some women would like their lips permanently curled outwards grin

SandyVagina Tue 30-Dec-14 18:27:30

I would still kiss his face a lot

hollyisalovelyname Tue 30-Dec-14 18:34:59

DameDoom at least your mam and Aunty Joan didn't go off down the pub leaving the stuff on your head like my friend's sister did. Her hair has never recovered smile

CitronVert Tue 30-Dec-14 18:36:47

I loved my perm in the 80s and wish they'd come back in. My hair is really fine and looks crap and scraggly if it gets any longer than chin length. When I had my perm I could grow it long. It was lush and full and I looked like Gloria Estefan in my head

BitOutOfPractice Tue 30-Dec-14 18:39:12

Oh lord! I spent most of the 80s with a permed mullet. It was a daily battle not to look like a startled poodle.

They never ever ever came out like sandyVagina's

That sounds so wrong!

rosierelala Tue 30-Dec-14 18:44:54

I was talking about backbeans on toast AND keegan perms on the bus home from toon yesterday. DameD were you eavesdropping?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now