Talk

Advanced search

to think that Boden clothes look lovely but are very poor quality?

(45 Posts)
MalibuStacy Tue 30-Dec-14 17:24:10

Is it just me? I love the look of Boden clothes, they are very much my style. However, I find that after just a couple of washes, they look tatty.

For instance, I bought a couple of skirts and a dress a few weeks ago. Both the hems of the skirts came down after about a week. As for the dress, it has a kind of ruffle at the front which was the same colour navy as the rest of the dress. I have only washed it twice and the ruffle is a very different shade of blue. It looks terrible. I felt great in it the first time I wore it, now I don't think I'll wear it again. Such a waste of money.

AIBU and unreasonably harsh, or are Boden clothes actually really shit?

Madaboutthrows Tue 30-Dec-14 17:26:26

I don't know. I have never bought from them however I do think you should contact customer services regarding the dropping hems etc.

thinkingaboutthis Tue 30-Dec-14 17:28:36

It's not a waste of money if you send it back and get a refund.

nowwearefour Tue 30-Dec-14 17:29:14

Not been my experience - have always found the quality to be fantastic to be honest......

Babyroobs Tue 30-Dec-14 17:29:26

As a long time buyer of Boden, I would say the quality of some items has definately gone down in recent years. I buy their leggings and they last forever and don't lose their shape but some of the Mini Boden stuff I have bought for my dd in recent years have been rubbish, fading really quickly and losing their shape. I think it's very hit and miss. Their customer service is good so if you've only washed something twie, you could probably send it back and get a full refund.

5EllipticGoldRings Tue 30-Dec-14 17:30:03

Yes, customer services and use their (very good) customer satisfaction returns guarantee.

JessicaChristmas Tue 30-Dec-14 17:30:04

I think you've been unlucky.

Leave a negative review and see what they say?

U2TheEdge Tue 30-Dec-14 17:31:23

YABU

They don't even look lovely grin

JackShit Tue 30-Dec-14 17:31:36

I'm always amazed at the price! £70-100 just for a skirt shock

5madthings Tue 30-Dec-14 17:31:58

Unlucky, the madthings have had Boden clothes, have always been able to sell them on/hand them down to multiple children. Never had a problem. Haven't ever bought their adult clothes.

Babyroobs Tue 30-Dec-14 17:32:36

I only ever buy in the sales or with the numerous £15 vouchers that they send my dh !

bigTillyMint Tue 30-Dec-14 17:32:40

I too think you have been unlucky - I think the quality is generally good.

Customer services are excellent and replaced a coat a year after I had bought itshock!

mrspottasbubble Tue 30-Dec-14 17:33:00

I have found some bits have been appalling quality in the last couple of years.But their CS has always been brilliant and the dodgy bits have always been refunded.

bigkidsdidit Tue 30-Dec-14 17:33:29

Their knitwear is crap. The children's stuff is excellent thougg

apotatoprintinapeartree Tue 30-Dec-14 17:36:07

I don't see the fuss with Boden, the clothes are either basic and soooo boring to the point of uninspiring or very outlandish and not fashionable at all.
YABU to buy from them in the first place

RainbowRabbit33 Tue 30-Dec-14 18:18:42

I was v excited when my godmother bought a Baby Boden romper suit set for my DD when she was born. I thought she would be quite the stylish little baby. And so she was the first time she wore it. Somewhat inevitably she was sick down it straight away and it went in the wash. Not so stylish the second wear. By the fourth or fifth wear it looked tatty, and the hat (washed on fewer occasions) was a completely different colour to the rest of the outfit. I was so disappointed, and even briefly considered whether my godmother had bought a knock off by mistake. It was that bad I even wavered over putting it in the hand me down bag I gave to a friend.

Needless to say I haven't invested in any Baby Boden myself after that experience!

tiggydiggydee Tue 30-Dec-14 19:10:22

When my children were young I dressed them in lots of Boden and still buy the odd bit for my sisters little ones. The quality seems as good-ish still but oh dear the womens clothing isn't nearly as good as it was! I rarely buy it now as last year I ordered 2 tops and withing 2 washes the hem was down, they'd lost shape and looked so tatty.
Such a shame as I love the colours and style but they're over priced and quality has really gone down hill. Having said that I feel too short and fat for most of the designs now anyway grin

edwinbear Tue 30-Dec-14 19:13:12

My lovely MIL often sends me Boden stuff for my dc and I have always found it to wash and wear very well. Never had a problem personally.

hiddenhome Tue 30-Dec-14 19:31:55

Poetry is the same. Quite expensive, but look like dishrags after a couple of 30 degree washes sad

Waltonswatcher Tue 30-Dec-14 19:42:46

I used it for my first two and the items lasted years and multiple friends . The odd bits I've bought for dd2 have been so massive and badly fitted that I've given up . She has had the loose fitted Sherpa gilet in two colours and that's washed and worn really well .
I'm sick of children's sizing -baby Walton is a tiny 2 nearly 3 yr old and the modern cut hangs off her .

Marylou2 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:22:21

I buy lots of Boden for myself and DD. The quality has declined slightly over the last few years but is still better than most high street stores.Also their customer service and delivery is second to none

ShinyTwinkleStars Tue 30-Dec-14 21:18:50

Agree with Mary. It can be hit and miss but any problems are rectified immediately.

LapsedTwentysomething Tue 30-Dec-14 21:21:49

Joules is shit too. I sent s tunic thing back last year because so little fabric had been spared at the join that the whole thing frayed in several places. Same happened with the replacement.

I find Boden shapeless and uncomfortable (but then at size 16 that's an occupational hazard).

MasqueradeWaltzer Tue 30-Dec-14 21:22:11

I've been generally really happy with the quality, except one dress that went super-bobbly very quickly. Everything else has been fine, especially the stuff I get for the dc.

I do agree that it's not as high quality as it was a few years ago though.

Peedie Tue 30-Dec-14 21:26:53

I find it very hit and miss. Some of the summer tshirts are a bit thin. I think it's improved recently again after going downhill for a while. I never buy at full price, always sale or discount code and via Quidco which gives 5% cash back on top!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now