Talk

Advanced search

To put my toddler in 2nd hand pants?

(114 Posts)
Failedspinster Tue 30-Dec-14 15:28:29

Bit of a weird one here. My mum has some neighbours to whom she is very close; they are really kind people and coincidentally have two sons just a little older than my two. They have very generously passed on their boys' outgrown clothes for the last couple of years, since i had my toddler. I'm very grateful for all their help.

Recently, they sent a lot of underpants. My toddler son (2.8yo) is just starting potty training and so this is the first time that pants have been passed on. AIBU to feel a bit icky about putting my son in second hand pants? They are clean and have been washed, but I can't shake this slightly icky feeling about it. Im normally very happy (and grateful) for him to wear everything they send....but pants?

I wore a lot of second hand clothes growing up but pants and shoes were always new, for reasons of hygiene and fit, respectively. My mum keeps telling me that I don't need to buy my son pants as her neighbours have passed on plenty, so she definitely doesn't seem to feel icky about it. But I do! Also, I'd like to feel that at least my sons pants were his own. It seems an illogical feeling to have thiugh, so what do you think? aIBU?

elvislives2012 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:29:42

YANBU pants aren't expensive. Second hand pants feels a bit gross to me

brokenhearted55a Tue 30-Dec-14 15:31:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

puntasticusername Tue 30-Dec-14 15:32:10

YANBU - I am perfectly happy to have pretty much anything else second hand, but not pants. It may not be entirely logical, but there it is. I don't think I'll even keep DS1's for DS2.

Passthecake30 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:32:12

If he has a slip up at school he'll most likely be wearing second hand from their stocks.

I bought new for my kids as had no hand me downs, but if I were in your position I'd let him choose a pack of special ones and keep the others as spares/backups (after putting them in a hot bio wash)

Purplepoodle Tue 30-Dec-14 15:33:50

I would feel icky. Iv used pants between my own dc but I think that's different

alteredimages Tue 30-Dec-14 15:34:10

I was just going to start a thread about the exact same thing! Have been given a big pile of hand me downs by someone very close to us (DD has previously worn their children's pants after peeing herself at their house) and there are pants in there as well as wash cloths for down below. I am also too freaked out to use them, so I say YANBU.

fredfredgeorgejnr Tue 30-Dec-14 15:38:52

So a pair of trousers that a nappy leaked poo all over, or a baby gro covered with vomit and washed is fine, but underwear not? Why?

ZenNudist Tue 30-Dec-14 15:39:50

Yep chuck. Ime potty training pants get so much washing I doubt they'd survive the first owner. Something like £7 for 7 well worth it for new.

SapphireMoon Tue 30-Dec-14 15:40:19

The more pants the better with potty training....

dannydyerismydad Tue 30-Dec-14 15:41:26

I bought all new pants for DS, but since potty training, he's ended up in spare nursery and spare friends pants too.

I'd keep them. You never know when you might be grateful for extras!

ClimbingFramePlanningEnquiry Tue 30-Dec-14 15:43:15

They're clean. And you could wash them again, if you're bothered.

I'd use them. But as the thread shows, there are plenty who wouldn't.

PoppySausage Tue 30-Dec-14 15:43:44

Dd has loads of second hand undies, washed hot, no problem

frostyrivers Tue 30-Dec-14 15:44:10

It wouldn't bother me, but there is nothing wrong whatsoever in not doing something because you don't like the idea of it smile

If ever the saying "Your baby, your rules" was applicable - the time is now.

erin99 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:44:39

I think it's illogical but then we did cloth nappies (including handmedowns) so my 'ick' settings are pretty low anyway.

It's only pants. Don't use them if you don't want to, like any other handmedowns for your DS. Just don't think badly of your neighbour for offering them - she is not forcing you to use them.

Islander79 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:45:57

I'd use them - my son wore a lot of 2nd hand cloth nappies! But if it bothers you, pass the pants to a charity shop and buy new. No big deal...

SirChenjin Tue 30-Dec-14 15:47:02

It wouldn't bother me. I was grateful to my friend for her hand me down pants when the DCs were at that stage - although maybe it was the fact that I knew her which made it OK confused

If you don't like the idea then bin them - or keep them as emergency spares in the car?

Mammanat222 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:47:04

I would maybe keep them for emergencies?

reddaisy Tue 30-Dec-14 15:48:14

I wouldn't have a problem with using them and I hand ours down too. You can never have too many pants! You will need spares everywhere (handbag, car, preschool bag etc) so they will come in v handy.

crapcrapcrapcrap Tue 30-Dec-14 15:51:30

I gave a friend a big bag of undies when she was potty training her DS. She looked horrified, momentarily, and I think she probably politely binned them once I was gone!

I just told her I'd found second hand pants a boon because anything grotty could just be binned. I stand by it. She's still my friend!

Artandco Tue 30-Dec-14 15:52:35

I would use them. They are clean and have been washed. Means you can buy some nicer, maybe more expensive type in the next size for once he is properly trained.

I buy my children underwear from petite bateau as 100% cotton and fit well. But aren't cheap, so would happily receive spares of same type.

Dancingincircles Tue 30-Dec-14 15:55:56

When kids wet themselves at nursery or school they are given clean dry second hand pants to wear.

Artandco Tue 30-Dec-14 15:56:29

Oh, I have never thrown pants away due to toilet accidents either. They wore cloth nappies anyway beforehand, so washing odd wee accident, or tipping poo in loo and washing was exactly the same

Eastpoint Tue 30-Dec-14 15:58:33

We were given some & used them & dd2 has dd1's old pants now - petit bateau which cost a fortune but are still in use years later. If you don't want them you could give them to your child's nursery, I'm sure they'd be grateful.

5madthings Tue 30-Dec-14 16:00:32

The madthings had some hand me down.pants and I re used pants from one madthings to the next. Madthing5 is wearing bob the builder pants today that I bought for madthing1 as a toddler, he is now 15 so they have done well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now