Talk

Advanced search

to think the doctor should be able to help me ?

(11 Posts)
misstiredbuthappy Tue 30-Dec-14 14:42:15

So ive had the d&v bug 3 times (4/5 days at a time) in the last 6 weeks ive had to take time of work which my boss isnt too impressed about.

So I rang the doctor's today to see ask some advice about what will make me better and the receptionist told me theres nothing I can do, just to let it run its course. Its ran its course 2 times before and its back. Anybody know anything to stop it ?

Sorry if none of this makes sense blush

formerbabe Tue 30-Dec-14 14:45:00

Sorry am confused...why did you ask the receptionist instead of asking for an appointment with the doctor?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 30-Dec-14 14:45:18

What do you expect them to be able to do? Except possibly give hygiene advice confused

ArabellaRockerfella Tue 30-Dec-14 14:45:58

When you have a D&V bug it can make you dairy intolerant so exclude dairy from your diet for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also take a probiotic supplement to restore you gut bacteria. Hope you feel better soon.

CrohnicallyCold Tue 30-Dec-14 14:46:48

They could start by testing a stool sample I guess, to make sure it is just a big. My Crohn's started with symptoms like a d and v bug.

ilovesooty Tue 30-Dec-14 14:47:04

Sorry I don't see how the doctor is supposed to be able to offer any help here.

frostyrivers Tue 30-Dec-14 14:48:29

I have had receptionists try to diagnose over the phone before hmm having said that, just try to have plenty of fluids. Hope you feel better soon.

MozzchopsThirty Tue 30-Dec-14 14:52:54

You need some proper hygiene during and after these bugs to avoid re-infection
Also a stool sample is a good idea to rule out campylobacter

misstiredbuthappy Tue 30-Dec-14 14:53:36

When I rang up the receptionist asked me what was wrong so I told her. I was told I wouldnt be able to get an appointment as I would pass the bug on wich is understandable. So thats when I asked for advice.

ILovePud Tue 30-Dec-14 14:56:38

You poor thing, it sounds like you have had a really bad run of things. However other than the usual advice there isn't anything your GP will be able to do, frustrating as this maybe for you and your employer. If this is a longer standing pattern or this pattern of frequent gastric problems continues it would be worth going back to see if there is an underlying problem. Hope you're feeling better soon.

wowfudge Tue 30-Dec-14 14:57:13

Can you ring back and ask for a telephone appointment to speak with the doctor in order to 1) rule out other illnesses, and 2) get some advice on how to get over it and aid your recovery?

That would sound sensible to me.

When you are well enough get some anti viral spray and wipes and thoroughly clean your home and your desk at work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now