Talk

Advanced search

To shout at the men shooting near the house?

(36 Posts)
giantmama Tue 30-Dec-14 14:09:52

I'm house-sitting for a friend in a very isolated house. She agreed this guy could shoot on her land 2+ years ago and he brings people, who I assume pay him for these trips. She gets nothing but the occasional bird.

A few months ago a man working on her roof yelled at them because they were downhill from the house shooting directly over the house - there were cartridges landing on the roof. When we arrived here this time there were cartridges in the garden - they're making a habit of doing this, and the last time I told my friend where they were shooting from (same place), she said they were too close and shouldn't be down there.

I opened the door and yelled "oi, too close" and I slammed the door. I'm watching them shoot in the vague direction of the house on the side of it that is ALL glass. They're obviously not trying to hit the house, but they are also shooting towards the trees in the garden, where we need to go to get wood for the fire.

I'm scared to go out. They've been shooting near here for two hours (at least another hour after I shouted at them). I don't want a stand-off because the guy's a bit of a weirdo and I'm a bit anxious and I won't cope well. I also don't want to make it awkward for my friend, who has to put up with him the rest of the time (or tell him to get lost). I just think they get carried away when the pheasants take flight and don't care where they're shooting or who's here. They clearly don't care that there's someone up here obviously anxious about what they're doing.

hmm

StevieWonderWoman Tue 30-Dec-14 14:12:05

I think you should grab the gun off them and shoot them maybe not... Shooting is VILE.

26Point2Miles Tue 30-Dec-14 14:12:41

Call the police

Kristingle Tue 30-Dec-14 14:16:49

If your friend has given permission for them to shoot on her land, then that's uo to her. But they should be shooting safety

People shoot on the farmland surrounding our house ( with the farmers permission ) and they never come anywhere near us .

You say the house is " very isolated " . How far are you from the nearest police ?

Salmotrutta Tue 30-Dec-14 14:18:18

I'd call the police to find out the laws regarding what distance from houses you need to be to discharge a firearm.

IIRC you need to be at least 250 yards(?) from a road so houses might be the same distance?

giantmama Tue 30-Dec-14 14:19:00

The guy's an ex cop.

Salmotrutta Tue 30-Dec-14 14:19:00

And they shouldn't be aiming towards the house!

Salmotrutta Tue 30-Dec-14 14:19:50

Well if the guy is an ex-cop he should know better!

And you can still all the police to check the law!

dancingwitch Tue 30-Dec-14 14:20:52

Of course they're shooting towards the trees, that is where the birds will be. Why don't you speak to your friend, find out what was agreed and then have a word with the guy in charge or one of the beaters & ask him to direct the guns to another area in future.

maras2 Tue 30-Dec-14 14:22:21

FFS.Don't go near them let alone touch their guns.Call the police.Blokey testosterone plus guns = a recipe for disaster.

giantmama Tue 30-Dec-14 14:23:19

Fine if they're shooting towards the trees in the valley below the house, but shooting from there, up past the house to the trees above?! In the garden?!

Cantbelievethisishappening Tue 30-Dec-14 14:24:19

If you feel unsafe call the police.... let them deal with it. Hate hate hate shooting.

giantmama Tue 30-Dec-14 14:45:36

Okay, thanks for the advice. Saw him drive away, not for the first time today but figured I haven't heard anything for a while and this would be his last trip. So put on all-red clothes and hat and paced out the distance. Difficult terrain so I couldn't go in a straight line but when I got to where the man was standing it was roughly 100 paces.

My friend just text to say she'll be back in a few hours. I'll try to find out the legal standpoint and wait to talk to her about it. I think she needs to deal directly - I don't want to be calling police to her home when she's returning so soon, and she might prefer to speak to the gunman herself, since they made the agreement.

I think part of the issue here is, this guy probably knows what he's doing, but he's bringing up clients and then leaving them, and they're waving guns around less than 100 yards from the house - and we have absolutely no idea who they are, what experience they have, etc.

I'm not a fan of this 'sport' but I'm not wholly against it either. I just don't want to spend a day afraid to wander out to pick some fucking herbs, or sit in the conservatory looking at the view, or go to the woodshed.

wheresthelight Tue 30-Dec-14 14:47:08

I don't have an issue with shooting and my ex sil used to let her land out for clay shoots and the odd bird shoot. they shouldn't be anywhere near the house let alone in areas where you are required to access.

either go out and have a polite word or if you don't feel safe then call your friend and advise her you will be calling the police

Mrsmorton Tue 30-Dec-14 14:48:02

Vile? confused eating battery hens is vile, eating animals that have been transported live for slaughter is vile. Shooting is a pretty decent way to dispatch birds that have been bred for the purpose.

chockbic Tue 30-Dec-14 14:51:25

At least battery hens have some legal protection regarding their welfare. Game birds don't and can be cruelly bred and raised without being monitored.

You have to question the mindset of someone who enjoys maiming and killing the birds.

Leela5 Tue 30-Dec-14 14:51:38

Visit the BASC website for the legislation - or phone your local police station. They are allowed to shoot with landowner permission but depending on type of firearm they must be a certain distance so as to not endanger public. If they have firearms licence they should know distance.

If firing at house id probably say it's a police matter.

Tippytappytoes Tue 30-Dec-14 14:59:37

You need to look up the firearms act 1968 which I believe can be found on the gov.uk website. If I remember correctly you have to be a certain distance away from 'dwellings' and certainly shouldn't be firing in the direction of them.

giantmama Tue 30-Dec-14 15:13:54

Thank you. I'm struggling to get the right info with just my phone here. Also, I don't know what elements of the laws are different here in Scotland. I'm heading out later so I'll maybe pop into a police station and ask.

Salmotrutta Tue 30-Dec-14 16:02:02

I don't think firearm laws are different up here in Scotland - there are definitely regs about distances from roads and buildings etc.

Patrickstarxx Tue 30-Dec-14 16:06:00

Tbh I think your friend needs to stop having him shooting on her land.

Imagine if he had hit that bloke on her roof!

MrsRabbitsTwin Tue 30-Dec-14 16:39:57

Firearms law is the same in Scotland but laws about who can access land for what purpose are different. Having said that, he'll still need your friend's permission to shoot on her land.

If I was you and your friend, I'd put in a call to the police on 101 to explain what's been happening and then, taking advice from the police on whether or not to put it in writing, tell the guy he no longer has permission.

I'd get it cleared up quickly as for some type of shooting New Year's Day is a big day.

tiggydiggydee Tue 30-Dec-14 16:44:50

Mrsmorton It is NOT a "pretty decent way to dispatch birds"!!! The birds don't often die but fall to the ground in agony then get smashed over the head! It is vile! Most aren't even eaten but hey lets just call it "sport" to make people feel better about it confused I wouldn't want them anywhere near my house and if they are that close to you it doesn't sound good or safe at all.

Kristingle Tue 30-Dec-14 16:48:36

I'm glad you are getting some advice. Though I guess you are not very isolated , If there is a police staion nearby, especially one that is open at 4pm today grin

Kristingle Tue 30-Dec-14 16:50:15

Tiggy - it's not her house or her land, so her views on shooting are irrelevant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now