Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To start eating the lasagne?

(14 Posts)
Droflove Tue 30-Dec-14 13:34:19

So we have invited the family for lunch and yet again the lasagne is burning in the oven as they are currently 32 minutes late. Would we (the other members that arrived on time) be unreasonable to start lunch and be eating it when they arrive? Backstory is that other family members travelled 2 hrs to get here and have cracked into the wine so will be smashed if we don't start soon.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 30-Dec-14 13:38:08

Go ahead.

no sense in waiting fir people who turn up when they feel like it.

ILovePud Tue 30-Dec-14 13:39:10

Go on start, they sound like they have form for this kind of rudeness, will you please report back on how they react when they arrive to you eating or having finished though?

CheeseBuster Tue 30-Dec-14 13:39:29

Course you should start! Lasagne is yummy cold anyway.

LadyintheRadiator Tue 30-Dec-14 13:42:41

Definitely eat it. Otherwise they have no incentive to be on time next time. My inlaws were late for Christmas lunch, as time went on I actually began to hope we'd have to start eating so they might be just a bit embarrassed, but that didn't happen, they didn't apologise, RUUUUUDE!

Take AGES to answer the door when they show up, too.

ReallyBadParty Tue 30-Dec-14 13:47:00

Just start and don't feel guilty at all.

I did this the other day with late guests and it was quite liberating, instead of fuming.

And don't stop eating to serve them if they arrive in the middle of it; either let them serve themselves, or if lunch is finished offer them a cup of tea/glass of wine.

Enjoy the lasagne smile

weeblueberry Tue 30-Dec-14 13:48:57

I'd text and say 'X and Y are here and we're all getting ravenous - whats your ETA?' and if it's more than 20 minutes or they don't respond in 5 minutes with an answer then get stuck in.

That's the late guests to dinner rules. smile

mommy2ash Tue 30-Dec-14 14:04:52

start with everyone who was on time no point in leaving it burn

GretnaGreen Tue 30-Dec-14 14:43:52

They are rubbish to be so late. I usually take lasagne out and rest it for 20 mins or so as I like it warm rather than hot (it sort of settles the texture somehow). But I would still be serving to those who were on time if it was getting ridiculous whether it was burning or not!

CleanLinesSharpEdges Tue 30-Dec-14 14:59:27

I also did this over Christmas - served up to those who were on time. Latecomers arrived (over an hour late, no real reason) as I was clearing the table. I chopped on with serving dessert and told them to help themselves to drinks and the cheeseboard. Twas very liberating.

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Tue 30-Dec-14 15:17:08

When did they arrive?

Mammanat222 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:54:00

I cannot abode lateness but being late for a big meal (like Christmas dinner) is just inexcusable well obviously there are good reasons but most decent people will let you know if there is an actual reason they are running late

I am glad to you took a stand CleanLines... we have one guest that is late every year but as she does some of the food [her roast spuds are worth the wait] we hold on for her.

OP, hope you didn't hang around for your stragglers!!

Chocolateteacake Tue 30-Dec-14 15:56:30

I've eaten it by now... I usually prep food and pop it in the oven when people arrive so that we can gave antipasti and booze to get started.

Droflove Tue 30-Dec-14 16:50:57

Arrived shortly after posting, aaah, they're a nice bunch if always a bit latesmile Problem is they could be early on another occasion so you'd be taking a risk telling them an earlier time than planned which is what I'd be tempted to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now